differences between a sport 150, mark 4 17, sonic 165

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

MikeL

differences between a sport 150, mark 4 17, sonic 165

Post by MikeL »

Hey everyone,

this year at hat creek I will likely be flying a (original) sport 150 or mark 4 17. I currently fly a sonic 165 and like it but have no way to transport it there. (now if someone wants to go with me to hat creek and has a rack, I shall pay you heavily in beer, money, thermal finding, bad jokes, etc......you name it) Assuming i won't be able to fly my glider, which of the above would you choose? I can basically select either. I assume that the sport 150 is a moderately higher performance wing; I've flown a mark 4 numerous times but have never been on anything higher performance than my sonic and haven't been on a wills wing glider since being on a falcon on the training hill. Therefore, my questions are:

1) Would the sport 150 be substantially harder to launch, land, or fly than a sonic?
2) Would the sport have substantially higher performance than the mark 4? (I assume so) What about the sonic?

Thanks for any input.

Diabetic mike
greblo

Post by greblo »

Mike,
The Sport is significantly higher in performance and considered harder to fly and land than either the Sonic or Mark IV. The sport appropriately carried an H3 requirement while the Sonic and Mk4 carried a Novice rating requirement. If you choose the Mark IV, I expect you will have a very easy time and be pleasantly surprised as I find the Mark IV very similar and a little more stable than your glider.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
OP

Post by OP »

bro,

from what I understand, Hat Creek is not a "performance site." There's no where to go, no benefit from performance. People have gone over the back and out the range to Susanville. However i suspect you will chill in the famed glass-off. All of Nevada's cold air pours into the warm volcanic valley making for hours of buoyant flight. Bring your most easy, retarded glider you have in the quiver. Also bring me. I've got a soo-bee-doo that with a rack that gets 30mpg. Let's go.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

oh, there's a couple bumps you might want to tag a bit off the ridge. Also nice to have a tad more glide to get to the primary LZ instead of bailing for the bailout, if you manage to fall out of the lift band (which is difficult on a good day.....but I digress)

anyway, that sounds like a better idea if you're down!

Joe: Thanks for the input. If I end up having to choose one or the other the mark 4 it is.

Diabetic Mike