Picnic table on launch

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

DrJeff

Picnic table on launch

Post by DrJeff »

I just wanted to note that my conversation with Daryl (sorry if I spelled it wrong) about the picnic table he built being brought up top to launch. I thanked him, and he gently said it was not his idea. When I pressed him further, he admitted that he did NOT want the table put up there, and that he was not consulted. (If I am wrong here, I am just the messenger.)

I guess I would like to suggest that we swap the wooden table with one of the metal ones. Putting the wooden table up there will leave it exposed to the elements (versus under the gazebo) and trash it much quicker, let alone all the graffiti that will probably be carved into it up there by the kids going up there to party, etc.

Darrell spent a ton of time building those tables, and they are really nice. Why not keep them down where the club can truly enjoy them AND they can stay safe and protected? A metal table up top would accomplish the same goal.

Just my two cents.
Jeff Bjorck
www.purepiano.com ~quiet music to calm the heart in a noisy world~
OP

Post by OP »

I'm not good at policy. I don't speak for anyone on this.

First: Much thanks to Daryl for making them.

Addressing the points raised:
1. It will get destroyed up there.
2. The metal tables are a better choice.

1.a. Erica's mom has, or is in progress, of out-dooring it. A solid out-door decking stuff.
b. Has there been any vandalism, at all, in the last 4 years? The gate works. Vandals and litterbugs can't stand waddling very far from their cars.
2.a. It's a nice big solid table. So much it's a gazebo fixture. Difficult to more around.
b. Metal table can be easily slid around for lawn mowing.
c. It has less footprint on the lawn. Both grass and sunlight footprint.

I think its a good spot for it. It's location wasn't done in intentional disregard. Sure is nice to have a table on launch. You can fix things much easier up out of the dirt. Laying out harnesses, fixing radio ppts, assembling small glider bits. Visitors and drivers can chill on it.

The other day I drove up the hill without a glider part. I was stuck on the hill until Greb-low brought me a replacement part in the afternoon truck. It saved my bacon, a place to sit out of the sun. I was up there a long while.

This is one vote to pursway its creator and the powers that be to leave it up there.
DrJeff

Post by DrJeff »

You make all excellent points, and I don't disagree.

I should clarify that I am not actually against the table being up there. My main concern is that, if I had done something that nice for the club and put in that many hours doing so, I would have at least have wanted to be asked before my gift was "re-purposed" in a way that will ultimately trash it. My main concern was for Daryl's feelings, and I felt badly for him. But then, I am a psychologist after all! :D
Jeff Bjorck
OP

Post by OP »

I concede to your point as well. That could have been done better. Maybe a board considered issue with the creator there to give his opinion. Seeing it from his angle, I'd feel the same way.

But this happens. I've been appropriated to work on a project before. The actual grunt on the ground floor; designing, fitting, debugging. Spent a year on it. All the design reviews were well received. Fun to literally be the last to know it's canceled and to just stop. Throw it all in the bin. It sucks, I know.

I've been hiking and seen more than a few picnic benches that are labeled like "eagle scout project 1987." It's not going to melt in the rain. It's a good place for it. We will receive much utility from it. It's not a loss, it's a gain.
fab

picnic table

Post by fab »

I enjoyed the picnic table today at launch with another pilot (good job, good spot -a bit of shade-). Thanks ! :D
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Reasons why the wood table was put up launch instead of a wire one:

1) The pavilion was "cluttered" and one of the wood tables needed to be removed. We also wanted a table on launch.
2) It took 6 people to put that table on a truck and 4 or 5 to remove it. It is not likely to get stolen from the top of the mountain. A wire table is easily moved/removed.
3) Putting a wood table on the patio would have still required a light colored outdoor paint for UV proofing and would look odd along with the wire tables. It looks better the way it is now.
4) Placing a wood table on the grass was not an option as it surely would have killed the grass underneath it and be near impossible to move for mowing.

Yes we probably should have advised Darrel of the decision before we did it. I have spoken with him since and informed him of the reasons. His table is doing more good for the membership where it is now and all we can do at this point is express our appreciation.
vannoppen

table

Post by vannoppen »

Would a metal table up there act like a lightning rod?? Fire hazard,I don't know
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I think we should allow Darryl to stay in the compound because I have experienced 3 stock-out charges(2013) of no driver with the inclusion of ErikL and if each one costs the club $500 then it really adds up. Maybe Ken Andrews with the spreadsheet can run the numbers and trends and implement the equations from this article:
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/fac ... ckouts.pdf
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

If the club PAID the constructor for the tables, then they belong to the club. We elected the BOD to represent us so that WE don't have to get up super early on a Saturday to be at the meetings. If the BoD decided to move the CLUB's TABLE to LAUNCH, for the CLUB's benefit, then so be it.
Last edited by jcflies on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
JD

Post by JD »

dhmartens wrote:I think we should allow Darryl to stay in the compound because I have experienced 3 stock-out charges(2013) of no driver with the inclusion of ErikL and if each one costs the club $500 then it really adds up....
Why would it cost the club anything if pilots show up and there is no driver? Ultimately it's each pilot's own responsibility to get him/herself up to launch. It costs only the individual pilots money on lost time and mileage when they arrive at the LZ and can't get up the hill. I know many pilots who showed up to fly and couldn't get up to launch.

I stay out of club board business and politics and have no idea where the board stands on the issue of Darryl's camping location.

I will add that many of the best flights I have ever had from Sylmar would never have happened if Darryl weren't available to drive my car down from Towers Launch. The same of course holds true for Rome and Erwin.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Possibly a program like this would increase participation
Or we will pay for your gas for the trip
{fine print}
JD

Ask Sheldon Cooper?

Post by JD »

dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

"In the end, we remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK Jr.

JD

Post by JD »

dhmartens wrote:"In the end, we remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK Jr.
Image....
Sounds like a horror film: The Silence of our Friends.

The following message is brought to you by the Sphincter Hang Gliding Association

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRkFUFFbj_4[/youtube]
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

As per prior commitment to Bob Kuczewski, I joined and now endorse the ushawks.org group.

I am also testing the digital signature of my http://www.ihangglider.com webpage which has 70,000 youtube views in total.

Doug
Fat Fred

Post by Fat Fred »

After spending over 4 hours on launch with my student today in no wind and blowing down conditions, I wish to thank Daryl for building the table that is currently at launch. It made the stay up there more bearable for both of us since I had sent the truck down the hill without us to make another run. We did eventually launch after the truck arrived back at launch.
dhmartens

Re: table

Post by dhmartens »

vannoppen wrote:Would a metal table up there act like a lightning rod?? Fire hazard,I don't know
Right to the point:
Stay away from metal constructed bleachers
gregangsten

Happy Tablers

Post by gregangsten »

Looks like moving that table up there was terrible idea, doesn't it?

DrJeff

Who said it was a terrible idea?

Post by DrJeff »

I'm glad the table is being used. The reasons for it being moved all make good sense. But I never said it was a terrible idea. I raised some reasons why it might not a good location (and those reasons were countered effectively).

My main point was simply that it would have been nice to tell Daryl ahead of time. The first time I myself thanked Daryl, he was actually a bit down about it. This is what prompted my post.

If he was paid for both his time and his labor, then they were not gifts anyway. But if he put in all the hours on them for free, I just thought it would've been nice to let him know. Others in this thread have acknowledged that this would have been helpful.

For now, thanks again to Daryl for making such great tables, and I am glad the table is up top too.
Jeff Bjorck
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

You can see the problem right there. Look at the riff raff that gathers on it. Probably some kind of hang glider gang that kicks tiny kittens for fun and then leaves those mysterious evil contrails in the sky. We need less benches and more prison cells.
Flyyyyy