GoPro Question

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Bob Bendetson

GoPro Question

Post by Bob Bendetson »

I have a Go Pro Hero 3 and shot a video during the club's last trip to Big Sur. (By the way, I don't know if anyone's noticed this before, but the scenery up there is very pretty). I transferred the video to my MacBook Pro and watched it a few dozen times (forcing my family to watch it with me). I liked one of the frames very much and took a screen-shot of it. Unfortunately, the quality's not too good. So... does anyone know a way to grab a high quality single frame off the video? I am a layman and Luddite, therefore I hope the answer to my question isn't overly-complicated. Also, whoever is the first to answer the question gets a free hang glider from Joe Greblo. Just go into his office and ask for it - no big deal. Anyway, thanks so much.
Bob Bendetson
OP

Post by OP »

Here is a step-by-step video tutorial on the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhF_56SxrGk

tl;dr zoom into quadrant A7 and reverse the reflection. Clack your fingers about the keyboard and repeat the word "enhance."

Joking aside. Your camera is a crazy fish-eye running 1080p most likely. FYI: 1080p = 2mega pixel = 15year old digital camera still. So it doesn't capture the best stills. Leave a copy of the video at Windsports or post it somewhere. I can pull the still you want and do my best 3 minute effort to 'shop it up. I'll just remove the jaggies and fix the color near the edges. Should be good 'nuff to print it glossy and be the bad ass that you are, soaring that biz over the largest of the surs. That is if I ever make it out some time this century. The only remuneration required is that you take one of my gliders. My quiver overflowith.
JD

Post by JD »

Hi Bob,
You need to grab the frame into png format and not jpg format.

On any PC software I have used (not Mac) png is an uncompressed frame grab while jpg is. The png image always looks as sharp as the video and the jpg looks like crap. I don't know about the Mac software but there should be a option somewhere.

BTW - where have you been. I have seen you in a few years now.
JD
Bob Bendetson

Post by Bob Bendetson »

OP,
Thanks so much for the offer. As soon as I figure out what "post it somewhere" means, i will do that. Also, I would be glad to take any hang gliders off your hands. But I would also need to take your first-born son. I was reading the Old Testament recently (the story about Abraham taking his first-born son Isaac up to the Mount of the Lord to sacrifice him) and thought it would be cool to recreate that scene - hence, the need for your first-born.
D-Q,
I've been out at Kagel 7 days a week. But as you know, we Jews are very tiny, so you might not have noticed me over the tall grasses.
OP

Post by OP »

Old testament is awesome!

Slavery, child rape, raping your sister, instructions on how to burn animals alive, burning your own child alive, abortion, blood sacrifice, ripping fetuses from pregnant women, genital mutilation, genocide, talking snakes, unicorns, leviathan sea monsters. It's all good in the good book. Read it to your children. That biz is fo-real.

Can't hold a candle to the new testament though. Only gentle Jesus meek and mild wants you to burn in eternity, bottomless pits, 7 headed dragons, etc. WWJD? Be a eunuch, Jesus wants you to be a eunuch.

Pro tip for my judeo friends. Don't eat fruit from a tree less than 3 years old. Genocide, killing all people of other religions, killing people who work on the holy day; all that is cool. Go ahead and round up ethnic groups and slaughter them. But don't be eating that young tree fruit. That's not cool.
Bob Bendetson

Post by Bob Bendetson »

Worst... sermon... ever!
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Looks like I got out of the club membership just in time...
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I grabbed hd photos from youtube run full screen this way on windows xp:
1) run video full screen
2) at the point you want the photo hit (alt-printscrn)
3) now open paint program, Start/programs/accessories/paint
4) from within paint upperleft select edit/paste
5) you are done save or print. save as bmp tiff or jpeg, you may compress it

I use keepvid.com to rip a copy of a youtube video where you can edit it in windows movie maker and capture screen shots there.

http://keepvid.com/
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

I've never used it by there is specific software for this purpose. Try this one.

http://www.bandicam.com/fraps-alternative/

Also, VLC (www.videolan.org) has this option under Video --> Take Snapshot.

What's the glider that Joe has for me?
Bob Bendetson

Post by Bob Bendetson »

Sorry, Spitfire, but (see original email) it's the FIRST person who answers my question who gets the free hang glider from Joe. The fourth person (you) has to give Joe a bubble bath (BTW, it can be either Greblo or Hungary - either of them could use a good scrubbing).
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Ooohh, can't wait! I'll probably see both of them this weekend, let's see who's the lucky one.

Mike
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

eunuch = urban dictionary definition: pilot with a broken toe out for 6 to 8 weeks. Mine works fine, except for yaw, but can sprint a hang glider to launch in no wind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4LAO2NMz8Y[/youtube]