Dam Road / Upper Wash Access

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

gregas

Dam Road / Upper Wash Access

Post by gregas »

I visited the LZ this morning and tried to take a walk up the road toward the dam. Not wanting to cause any trouble, I turned around at the "No Tresspassing" sign with the camera on the pole.

Can anyone tell me what the access restrictions are? Is the whole area off limits or just the road? I notice that the dam is mentioned as a bailout LZ. How does that work, if it's off limits?

Mostly, I'm interested in accessing the use trail up the ridge to Kagel. However, I don't want to cause problems for myself (or anybody else including the club). I would appreciate it if you can share your knowledge of the restrictions either here or by PM.

Thanks,

Greg
TomS

Post by TomS »

Hi. You can walk down that road to access the ridge.
OP

Post by OP »

Last Sunday I walked up to launch from the LZ. I was greeted by a dam worker in his official truck with a friendly wave along the dam road.

Today Fabian, our most frequent PG pilot, hiked up his entire PG/Harness get up from the LZ to launch.
gregas

Thanks!

Post by gregas »

Thanks for the info, guys. I look forward to doing a hike-and-fly with my PG.

I turned back yesterday because I did not want to be "that guy" who shows up and causes trouble by breaking the rules.

I actually really enjoy uphill hiking but hate hiking down so even if I only get a sledder, my goal is accomplished. If I get a longer flight, then that's a bonus!

Greg
OP

Post by OP »

This may be the most popular route up the hill.

From the LZ to Gavina:

From Gavina to the dam road across the wash:

Dam road to the top:

Zoom in showing the fire road to the single track to the top. The first bit is steep:
gregas

Great photos!

Post by gregas »

Thanks very much for the photos! I had figured out the route up the ridge by seeing the trail on google Earth, but I was a bit puzzled as to the best route through the wash and where to join the road. It's a maze down there.

Greg