Is anyone going to colorado fly week ?

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

MikeL

Is anyone going to colorado fly week ?

Post by MikeL »

As the title suggests......sounds like it might be fun!

ML
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

I still have to reserve my spot but I am going.
gregangsten

Colorado

Post by gregangsten »

Yes, I'm going for the week. I'll be driving out with Nurit and can carry a couple gliders. First come, first served. I believe Steve Murillo is going with a few other maybes. The last one was great and this should be better.
OP

Post by OP »

Hey just a friendly warning to everyone thinking about the Colorado Fly Week.

Just down the rage from Villa Grove is this place: http://www.coloradogators.com/.

Please pay attention to all signage: http://i.imgur.com/0a3USLO.jpg Some of us didn't pay attention and let's just say things got out of control quickly.
gregangsten

Hot Springs

Post by gregangsten »

We're going to spend a couple night a mile or two up the road at this place:
http://www.olt.org/vvhs
OP

Post by OP »

greg, glad to see they fixed their prices.

So stupid to charge just per camp site. Better they charge per person per camp site; and even per dog. So Ste.M's 3 little dogs would be 15$/night/dog + 50$ deposit per dog. This seems much more reasonable. It would probably be less expensive to keep them at the bellagio, each with a separate room. But hell, that's a nice hotel. Not a 10'x20' dirt patch at the hot springs.

I'm teasing greg. How do I get on or from a crew for this. I'd rather stay at the flight site. They don't offer showers. But some local mennonites offer showers for a few bucks. One down side is their situation is entirely hand made creepy mennonite religious style restrooms. I went to us the commode for a serious number two. The plywood stalls they constructed weren't enough to point my legs in the normal position. Best part in the commode stall was the poster of jesus watching you #2. No joke. www.slvcampground.com/ Jesus watches you poop at this place. But it's the best, closest, cheapest shower around.
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

OP wrote:I'm teasing greg. How do I get on or from a crew for this. I'd rather stay at the flight site. They don't offer showers.
Someone is going to have to translate this from Orianese for me.

I heard that they were building showers at the LZ for campers this year.
OP

Post by OP »

Translation:

The Orient Land Springs is crazy expensive.
The religious camp ground has showers, but it's creepy.
They will have showers? They didn't really have running water last time.
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

They keep mentioning that they are building showers on site this year.

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to keep my vario and radio charged all week long if I camp on site (which is my current plan). They don't have power available for general use, it sounds like. What do you guys do, just charge it off your vehicle?
OP

Post by OP »

mrobin604, you still fly? I thought you were concentrating on the entire oculus rift thing.

Last time they had limited power at times for things like laptops and varios. But nothing like 80 people all using toaster ovens and coffee machines in the morning.
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

mrobin604 wrote:They keep mentioning that they are building showers on site this year.

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to keep my vario and radio charged all week long if I camp on site (which is my current plan). They don't have power available for general use, it sounds like. What do you guys do, just charge it off your vehicle?
I charge from my car. I'm sure you'll be able to plug into 110 somewhere around there also if you need to.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

whoa this thread got bigger. I'm certainly interested if a ride can be had.

Mike
gregangsten

Rides to Colo.

Post by gregangsten »

MikeL wrote:whoa this thread got bigger. I'm certainly interested if a ride can be had.
Mike, I think you will be able to. There are several people on the fence about going that might want to share the ride. I offered a spot in our car to Joe P, but if he decides he can't do it, you can ride with us. Marshall and Orian also might have room as he has a hungry V8 to feed.
nzlinus

Post by nzlinus »

Late to this bbs party...

If anyone has a spot for a wing, I would be eternally grateful. Place for a human desired, but optional... I can provide human transport if necessary.

Cheers,
Lin.
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

We have room for 1 more, likely. Leaving on Friday, and swinging by Telluride on the way out.
nzlinus

Post by nzlinus »

Nice. What day would you be heading back to L.A.? Telluride would be cool to check out.

Lin.
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

I'm planning to stay for the whole thing, so leave Sunday I guess? I have to be back at work on 2 Sep so that's really the limiting factor for me.
nzlinus

Post by nzlinus »

I'm in for the full week too, so no problem there.

MikeL - do you have a ride yet?
gregangsten

Rides to Colo.

Post by gregangsten »

Mike L, you will not be left behind. Call me, my number is in the member's section, unlike some shy, suspicious types.

Greg A.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

As of one day ago its looking like I have to be in the bay area august 26 through 30 so its looking like I am gonna get screwed on colorado fly week this year. there might still be hope.........i'll let you know

ML