WillsWing Demo Days

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

gregangsten

WillsWing Demo Days

Post by gregangsten »

We received the following from Steve Pearson of Wills Wing who asked that we post it on our forum:

Wills Wing will be hosting our 2015 principal annual demo event and party at our home site in cooperation with the Crestline Soaring Society http://crestlinesoaring.org/ . Official demos are between Thursday, April 30th and Saturday, May 2nd but we’ll also be out earlier in the week subject to weather conditions. Late spring conditions are very often the best part of the season at Crestline. For those of you not familiar with our site, we have 6 designated launches between the training hill and Crestline with 3500 of vertical. The Cross Country Ranch https://www.facebook.com/CrossCountryRanch?fref=ts is adjacent to the landing area with a spectacular 220,000 gallon spring-fed “pond� and deck for after-flying activities (camping is also available at the ranch on a first-come basis). CSS with be hosting a dinner on Friday night with Rob Von Zabern DJing at the pond. Wills Wing will host a catered dinner on Saturday night, free for all pilots who register by April 12th (see below).

We’ll have demos available for each of our models including the Alpha 180 and 210; the Falcon 4 145, 170, 195 and Tandem; the Sport 2 135, 155 and 175; and T2Cs 136, 144 and 154. There will also be programs including Mike Meier award-winning presentation at the Society of Experimental Test Pilots, “Why can’t we get a handle on this safety thing�, Ryan Voight’s ever-popular landing clinic, Zac Major on getting into Sport-Class comps, Dustin Martin on cross-country flying, Rob McKenzie hosting a late-afternoon session on the training hill (Thursday) and an Alpha fun meet.

We normally do not request pre-registration for demo days but this event is different because we expect a lot of pilots and CSS has offered a discounted day-use fee for pre-registration to reduce the administrative burden onsite and to support the event.

We’ve posted an online registration and demo sign-up sheet on our website for the Crestline Demo Days, April 30th to May 2nd.
https://www.willswing.com/calendar/ (click Register Now)
https://www.willswing.com/crestline-soa ... istration/ (direct link)

The sign-up form asks what gliders you would like to fly and pilots who pre-register will have first access to demos.

CSS charges $10/day for visiting pilots as an option to the $100 annual pass. If you register on our website by April 26th, you can purchase an event pass valid for April 28th though May 2nd for $25.

We’re hosting a catered dinner and party on Saturday night, May 2nd. To help us plan for the event, we’re offering free meal tickets if you register online by April 12th. If you register after the 12th and before the 26th, the price is $20. If you don’t register, there will be a very limited number of tickets for sale onsite available on a first-come basis.

We expect this to be the largest gathering of hang glider pilots in 2015 and we hope you’ll join us.

Steven Pearson
OP

Post by OP »

I'm going Saturday. I say we bring a big Sylmar crew and represent.

I signed up to demo a glider, eat the dinner and compete in the Alpha spot landing contest.

See y'all there.
hcmom

Post by hcmom »

Do you want to do a practice flight/landing in my pretty pink and purple Alpha, OP?

Noël
OP

Post by OP »

I might take you up on that. I want to win!

Are you and T-dog going to the event on Saturday?
hcmom

Post by hcmom »

We haven't discussed it yet, but I'd like to!

Noël
OP

Post by OP »

Bring him out. He crushed it last time out there.

Spanish Noel: Nõel
German Noel: Nöel
Norwegian Noel: NØEL
Egyptian Noel: Nȭel
Greek Noel: NФel
Cyrillic Noel: Noэl
Arabic Noel: Nّ۞el
Hebrew Noel: Nסּel
Litigious Noel: N©el
Pilot formerly known as Noel: Ѯ
Steve90266

Demo Days

Post by Steve90266 »

Sounds like a blast. I'm in!
Steve Murillo
Steve90266

Demo Days

Post by Steve90266 »

Sounds like a blast. I'm in!
Steve Murillo
Don

Crowds

Post by Don »

Someone at CSS said that registrations for Demo Days was at ~500! Sounded completely out of the ballpark to me but I have no basis for knowing if it is true or not. If the numbers are even remotely close to that - it could be an absolute zoo. If that is your idea of fun - go enjoy! If I was even going to be in town, I think I would avoid the place on Friday and Saturday.
gregangsten

Demo Days

Post by gregangsten »

Yeah, actually it does sound like my idea of fun. I'm just pissed that I'm half crippled here. I even sent them my $25 in a moment of unjustified optimism.
OP

Post by OP »

greg, bring your crippled ass out anyway. Sounds like a real zoo.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

He got in too close on a thatch maneuver.
Hope you heal quickly!
Steve90266

demo days

Post by Steve90266 »

500 pilots flying gliders above their pay grade, all competing for the same air space. What could go wrong? See you there!

I'm signed up for Saturday. Bringing Pat!
Steve Murillo
OP

Post by OP »

One more reason to attend demo days.

H-1 flying a double surface glider impacts a local with 20years experience. Imagine 500 of these people all at one place. It's going to be real.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6noJ1s9W5I[/youtube]
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I think the forecast is good for Demo Days. R/C's flew Sylmar today pre post frontal and post pre frontal (eye of the hurricane).

I'm in the club of those who purchased of a new wills wing.
Doug.
dhmertans

Post by dhmertans »

I've also taken an Ultra-High Def photo of the Mona Lisa. I used the same 2002 camera phone as the picture above. It's really some advanced technology, just that the whale oil it runs on is getting more difficult to find.

ɯoɔ˙ɹǝpᴉlƃƃuɐɥᴉ//:dʇʇɥ
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

OP,
What does that MEAN? That's SCIENCE?
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Thanks OP I just ordered a new Nokia Lumina, in time for Demo Days.

The LQ images my current Nokia create remind me of Seurat.

mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

Not sure why someone would post a youtube video of an accident that shows them at fault and then claim it was the other guy. He could have easily avoided that crash if he didn't push out and mush his wing.
Busto

Post by Busto »

There is a thread in Hanggliding.org (Hg Midair... Ugly). On the 5th page of the thread a well respected instructor did a great write-up mentioning his thoughts on the situation.

He also expresses his thoughts on what may have been the outcome if he were one of the pilots.

Worth reading.