DOCKWEILER

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Joe Faust

DOCKWEILER

Post by Joe Faust »

Aviation has been kind to Los Angeles' economy. Aviation forms part of the fabric of life in Los Angeles. Very many L. A. citizens depend on airports, pilots, and aviation industries in Los Angeles. Keen insight would reveal that hang gliding roots and supports all that aviation dynamic. It would be wise for Los Angeles to support hang gliding very pointedly. One way Los Angeles could support hang gliding (birthplace of pilots, aviation workers, airplane designers, etc.) would be to treat hang gliding at least as equitably as walking, running, jumping, bicycling, skating, umbrella using, kiteboarding, surfing, hiking, building sand castles, swimming, etc. Neglect of equitable treatment of something that has so very blessed Los Angeles and continues to bless Los Angeles may amount to some kind of crime against the people of Los Angeles. The simplistic ban against hang gliding at coastal berms and slopes except by forcing a licensed operator with inequitable insurance requirements was a mistake and deep slap at what makes up Los Angeles' strong asset: people who wish to fly and do so, a habit that colors their professional lives of service within Los Angeles. Los Angeles can add to its greatness by severely modifying its stance about hang gliding and move to provide equitable space and place for hang gliding without overburdening the activity to any level of impossibility. To all the people of Los Angeles: Wake up and be all you can be; you can fly, yes you can! Just do it! Know your history, where you come from, and where you are going. Hang gliding should be openly supported by the broad public. May at least Dockweiler live on for hang gliding; but more, Los Angeles, open up even more place for hang gliding. Free and equitably treated as other recreation activities! Be wise and stay in the aviation culture. Find your strength, Los Angeles, and let it fly.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

There are areas where people sled ride or snowboard in the mountains. There are many areas where people surf at the beach or play volleyball. There are hiking areas, and off-roading areas, and dog parks full of land sharks. There are all kinds of activities that people seemed to be able to do reasonably safe without the government trying to control it. It really requires no regulation, or government involvement at all to have that flight park open and available. Put up signs listing the dangers, saying "use at your own risk", and let the little birdies fly.

"But, someone might get hurt!" No shit - just like with everything we all do everyday. Do we have to stay in the house with our flow-controlled shower heads, and 1.8L toilets, wearing our bicycle helmets and eating low fat soy porridge with plastic forks and bibs just to make sure we live till tomorrow so we don't miss the exciting possibility of doing it again?

We are being ruled and controlled out of living any kind of free life by frightened little children who got a few hundred votes more than the other scared nannies who ran against them. Are there any brave souls out there anywhere to run for office who think they can get through a day without telling other people how to live every minute of their short boring lives. Leave us alone.

Freaking lawyers have ruined everything. Sorry Larry.

That park has helped me show so many people joy, fun, and excitement - not to mention the amazing life changing experience that learning to fly is for someone like me who started there and probably would never have tried it if not for Dockweiler.

I'm so mad I could just scream, but that's probably illegal without the proper paperwork, training, safety gear, and of course, fees. There's always got to be a fee.

While I'm on a rant here, what's with the city giving some private company the right to charge a parking fee to park next to the sewer plant? We paid for the sewer plant, we feed it, and fund it. We already own the land, we paid to build the lot, and we maintain it all with taxes, yet the public has to continuously pay some private company that did none of it just for the right to use it now?

If there was a thin plaster wall down there at the beach, I would put my fist right through it.
Flyyyyy