Bathroom recap

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

gregangsten

Bathroom recap

Post by gregangsten »

As most of you know, we have been struggling for a long time with trying to get approval to build a free-standing bathroom in the LZ. We ran into a wall when we found out that recent restrictions would force us to build a bathroom at least 4 feet above grade due to our location being in the flood plain of the Pacoima wash. After meetings with our councilman's office and building officials we were told that the 4 foot requirement could only be waived if the room were built in, or attached to the existing pavilion.

At last Saturday's board meeting the possibilities were discussed and there was no support for either of those options. The conclusion is that we will make an essentially permanent installation of a portable restroom trailer which will be plumbed in and be connected to the sewer line. This will avoid all the problems we have faced with Building and Safety and be less expensive as well. I'm very sorry to give up on our original idea but we will see to it that the setup we install will be one that all of us should be happy with.

Greg A
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Does it have to be wheelchair accessible too?

So the regulation is concerned with the problem of a 3 gallon toilet getting into a raging river full of trash and wildlife scat? If it's a valid concern, then why is it OK if it's attached?

I know, I know, just shut up and swallow it.
Flyyyyy
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

I think it would fly if part of the other building because the other building was put in before this restriction went into effect. Or it may be that since the other one is there and approved, adding a modification is acceptable and won't get anyone in trouble for approving it.
Anyway, we decided we wanted to be able to use the bathroom in our lifetimes.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I don't understand all the negativity associated with placing the restrooms in the far corner of the pavilion. It was part of the original design and wish list.
But, whatever. Let's get something done that utilizes the $10,000 sewer connection that was paid for prematurely.

FYI, Glenn, as it was explained to me, the height restriction/regulation is a FEMA requirement for flood insurance, probably a subsidy. In order for LA to qualify for the subsidized insurance for property owners, Building and Safety must abide by the rule.

I think that this means my property would now require a 4 foot above ground foundation, if I were to build anew. I've seen flood warnings regarding my location on my building permit applications.

Bureaucracies are wonderful, no?

On the bright side, I saw a trailer in Idaho hauling a log cabin-motif, two-room, pre-fab bathroom that looked pretty nice. Anything other than a hole or the bushes will be better (and less stinky) than the Port-o-san.
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

I've been in luxury restroom trailers at events with paintings on the walls and the only thing missing was the bathroom attendant! There are some very nice options out there.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Maybe we could put a single restroom in the pavilion and add a trailer.
Its estimated hurricane Katrina costed private insurers $60 billion so an additional 4 feet would cut this down by billions.

We could buy a used trailer and restore it:

At the Scifi Airshow there were a few luxury restroom trailers: