SHGA Presidency

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Joseph

SHGA Presidency

Post by Joseph »

After reading the plea for candidates for president on the SHGA website I decided that perhaps I should do my bit for the club and volunteer for the spot since no one else was. Turns out someone else had the same idea and now I am campaigning for president. Who would have thought. My name is Joseph Vandertol. I have not been at SHGA for all that long. I did my first solo last year in May after going through the Windsports program. I am currently a hang 3 and fly a Sport 2 with an orange leading edge. I was involved with organizing the Kagel Road repair and with this years Father's Day Picnic. Should I be elected, I will try to build on the momentum now in the club with the effort to open up new launch sites and what looks to be a good relationship with the forest service. We also need to pay attention to development efforts that may encroach upon our ability to fly at Kagel and maintain good relationships with the neighborhood. Our sport needs new members in order to continue to exist. It is important therefore to help Hungary Joe and Windsports as they provide these new members to the club. Organizing rides up the hill can be challenging. If you fly a lot, then it is easier to get up the hill with friends. But if you fly infrequently perhaps there is a way to use a web site to see who is going up, who wants to go up and who is available to drive would assist.
Hang Gliding is a great sport and whatever happens I hope to see you in the air soon.
Lucky 13

Chris Wolters

Post by Lucky 13 »

My name is Chris Wolters, I'm the other candidate for the SHGA presidency. My background is in art and engineering. I work in the live action special makeup effects industry for movies and commercials. Basically I make monsters. It's a strange job, but it also provides me with lots of free time. If elected I will volunteer a great deal of time towards helping the SHGA. Hang gliding seemed like an impossible dream to me when I was growing up. When I moved to the valley for work, I really lucked out. The valley is the capital of the movie industry and Sylmar is the world capital of hang gliding! Hang gliding is a dream come true. It's not an impossible dream, it is a reality. I want to help make sure that it stays that way. I'll do everything I can to promote the sport and protect our flying sites. -Chris Wolters
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I want to commend Chris and Joseph. Thank you both for stepping up to the plate and offering your help this year as SHGA President. I know from personal experience how much work it can be if the job is done right, and am glad that two such energetic pilots decided to run for the post.

Thank you both

Ex SHGA President, George Stebbins

Fly High
Fly Far
Fly Safe
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Joseph and Chris,

I want to echo George and thank you both for your willingness to help the Club. It is imperitive that we bring new members into the BOD and have our membership actively involved in SHGA. I too was a relatively new member when I became Activities Director and my inexperience concerned me at the time. Trust me... there are many wise, capable and resourceful pilots who will help you. Now I've been on the BOD for five years. Frankly, it's been wonderful AND challenging. And, with each year I have been very happy to support our sport, our local instructors and our membership. Without us (volunteers) there is no future -- I can't emphasize that fact enough. Sow ith that I thank you again and look forward to supporting your energy and efforts.

Soon we fly,

Lynn
JT

Room For Two At The Top?

Post by JT »

It's great that we have two new candidates willing to tackle the "pres" position.

I have a suggestion: no matter the outcome, which will be somewhat arbitrary since many of us are unfamiliar with the candidates, I urge both Chris and Joe to participate on the BOD. One may not have a voting spot but my experience in attending meetings is that any member's input is thoughtfully considered. It is also a way to gain some experience and it is possible to accept responsibilities up to your level of comfort.

My personal solution? I'll vote for one and write the other in as Activities Director. No use in wasting a warm, willing body and that position can be shared and supported by all the BOD members to get a newbie started... paging Lynnie Mac!!!
Christian

Post by Christian »

Congratulations to both on stepping forwrd. I agree with JT that there will be no "loser" here. I think the new president should move to appoint the runner-up to any position he likes.
abinder

Post by abinder »

I'm really bad with placing names with faces. Would it be possible to post pics of all the canidates that are on the ballot?
Chip
Site Admin

Pictures

Post by Chip »

Joseph and Chris,

If you send me a picture, I can at least place an avatar on the forum so people can see your mugs.

I do know what both of you look like so giving me actor pictures or special Fx pictures looking like monsters won't do! :roll:

Here's Joseph
Last edited by Chip on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhmartens

Doug Martens 11th hour write in candidate with a plan

Post by dhmartens »

Doug Martens throws in 11th hour bid for SHGA write-in President.

I know both of the candidates and are fine gentlemen but neither has an action plan but I do. The SHGA membership has dwindled from about 250 to 150 and we need to take measures to stop the slide. If the SGHA was Ford or GM there would be a major shake up.

Here is my plan.

1) Add and additional 42 storage containers
2) Eliminate the $100 initiation fee.
3) Reduce the yearly membership fee from $60 to $40.
4) Increase and modernize the SHGA and flight schools marketing campaigns including the internet/youtube.
5) Handsome Christmas or quarterly bonuses for drivers.

I began Hang gliding in May 2002 with Windsports spending 2 years at the beach before moving to Kagel and have endured the Fire closures
and the Pacoima tsunami of the landing zone. I am currently a 20 hour hang 2 on the brink of becoming a hang 3 and I fly the Falcon 2 225. I have a BSBA in Computer Information Systems from Drake University Des Moines, Iowa. I work on business computer systems and networks and have run my consulting company for 14 years in the Medical, Manufacturing, Mining, Service, and Shipping Container industries. In 87 to 91 worked as Manager information Systems at Rockwell International. I also played keyboards in various bands throughout the 1980's. I wasn't allowed to hang glide in Omaha Nebraska in the 70's so I rode dirt bikes instead. I have donated my hard labor for several landing field repairs and October 28th Kagel Road work parties.
http://www.shga.com/gallery/WorkOct06 You can see me, and Joseph Vandertol in the October 28 photo gallery. I have on a hat, black shirt, and blue backpack.

Additional 2nd phase action items include:
1) Create 5 low-cost windsocks and PVC poles to be on hand to replace any missing Kagel windsock.
2) Investigate the feasibility of DWP restringing the power lines in a conduit under the Gavina bridge platform.
3) Move a few key boulders against the base of our landing field to help prevent future washouts.
4) Purchase land for another landing zone.
5) Organized a vote for a possible $5 to $10 per whack tax. Or at least the pilot should buy the beer. This should improve some of the landings.
6) Investigate obtaining permanent historical landmark status.
7) Investigate a Paraglider school

Thank you for your 11th hour consideration.
Doug Martens dhmartens@yahoo.com
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Doug Said
Here is my plan.

4) Increase and modernize the SHGA and flight schools marketing campaigns including the internet/youtube.
What is the purpose for the increased storage? Revenue or need?

Why eliminate the 100 initiation? Do you see it as a hindrance?

By eliminating the yearly dues, what is your plan to replace the revenue?

The marketing of the school is Windsports responsibility, isn't it? I think we all can play a part by being good and welcoming ambassadors of the sport with visitors that come to the LZ. But that becomes a personal responsibility that must be fostered by possibly good leadership.

SHGA has a very good web presence and forum. I installed wireless for the LZ and I'm working on the whack cam, what other modernizations would you do?

I like the Christmas bonus idea, probably via donations.

To me your second phase stuff seems better defined, although not sure how we can purchase additional land by eliminating funds from the first phase, unless your thinking the third storage locker will generate more revenue than your eliminating.

Thanks for stepping up, and good luck in the voting. :D
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Chip wrote:
Doug Said
Here is my plan.

What is the purpose for the increased storage? Revenue or need?

Why eliminate the 100 initiation? Do you see it as a hindrance?

By eliminating the yearly dues, what is your plan to replace the revenue?

The marketing of the school is Windsports responsibility, isn't it? I think we all can play a part by being good and welcoming ambassadors of the sport with visitors that come to the LZ. But that becomes a personal responsibility that must be fostered by possibly good leadership.

SHGA has a very good web presence and forum. I installed wireless for the LZ and I'm working on the whack cam, what other modernizations would you do?

I like the Christmas bonus idea, probably via donations.

To me your second phase stuff seems better defined, although not sure how we can purchase additional land by eliminating funds from the first phase, unless your thinking the third storage locker will generate more revenue than your eliminating.

Thanks for stepping up, and good luck in the voting. :D
The storage container will offset the lost revenue and then some, almost $10,000 per year. I noticed some of the new members drive small cars and don't own houses which now can cost over half a million and storage can be a problem. Saudi Arabia for years had no income tax because of its oil revenue. We can use the storage the same way. I store my glider at Sylmar and it is very convenient. The new falcon 3 can be stored in an apartment so there is a trend.

If a simple website was marketed at the beach, easy to remember, and with lots of youtube videos etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ohXg08SYA
It might help people get a quick overview of the sport benefits and downfalls. But marketing can backfire and we need to be careful.

Crestline is implementing a cellphone text message of flying conditions and we can do something as well.

Crestline has cash rich members stepping up to buy land, not the club.

With the declining membership I see the initiation fee as a small barrier. We could offer new members 6 months of free storage in its place. Jay said we only have 3 slots open and the top row is hard to rent. We also need a safe step stool to help with that row too. I was using a milk crate.

Sites like Lookout mountain are doing great business - a million dollars a year. We should look at what they are doing right. They have 55 acres and camping/hotels but may be handing out ratings prematurely.

Above all the contributions of the members is what makes the club.

Doug Martens
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

Why specifically is declining SHGA membership a bad thing?
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

JBBenson wrote:Why specifically is declining SHGA membership a bad thing?
You'r jumping the gun. My third phase to be implemented in my second term would seek to reduce the excessive membership by raising fees and requiring target landing demonstrations. Seriously, there are reasons for and against. Overcrowding could add noise and new under trained pilots could land on houses. With good training and rules these shouldn't be a problem. For crowded launches we can add more tiedowns farther west.
My view is we are the world capital of Hang gliding. We have the mountain, the weather, the schools, a great group of new and veteran pilots and we should remain number one.
Hang gliding competes with other activities and I view us in competition with other locations like Lookout Mountain. Declining membership hurts hang gliding and hurts the aviation economy. People's jobs and livelihoods also depend on the sport. I've flown with 7 Windsports and associated instructors and have met and toured the Willswing factory in OC when I picked up my Falcon 2 225 new. Also when flying there's nothing like a wind dummy or buddy to show you where the thermal is when your sinking out.
Doug
JBBenson

Re: Doug Martens 11th hour write in candidate with a plan

Post by JBBenson »

dhmartens wrote:The SHGA membership has dwindled from about 250 to 150 and we need to take measures to stop the slide.
Why? The issue of how many members there should be is pretty important. It drives alot of other decisions. Do we need more members or do we need more money?

Raising fees is not such a bad idea, if the issue is only about money.

Target landing requirements, on the other hand, would only reduce the number of Hang 4 members....

:D
Joseph

I don't have a plan

Post by Joseph »

Well I actually do. From what I know the SHGA is a non-profit corporation. It has a balance sheet, income and cash flow statements. I am sure that there are on-going issues and plans in various stages of execution. First step is to figure out where we are before we go changing things that can affect the solvency of the corporation. Very boring stuff but it needs to get done. I don't know where the club opinion falls on issues like growing membership, so I need to figure out what the club would like to see happen. Finally, we have very qualified people already on the board, I plan to lean heavily on their advice.

Chip thanks for posting my picture. Thanks also for the wireless. Nothing like being able to fake being at work by answering email from the LZ.

If anyone thinks that me thanking Chippy for the picture and the wireless are shameless examples of pandering for a vote... you're wrong! :wink:
Christian

Post by Christian »

Uh, shouldn't candidates for president, discussing issues on the club forum, be able to figure out how to post their own avatar?

From the forum help desk:

An avatar--a small picture or image that appears under your forum name--can be chosen from your own computer files, or from an Internet source.
--Sign in.
--Click "Profile" under "Sylmar Hang Gliding Association" above.
--Scroll down to the last item, the Avatar Control Panel.
--Your chosen picture must be reduced in size using your own photo software. Common keywords for the process are "pixels" and "resize".
--Crop the picture first, then reduce its size to less than 200 pixels.
--Use trial and error until satisfied--nobody gets it right the first time.
--The avatar will appear on every posting you have made. It can be changed or deleted at any time.
Joseph

Took the hint

Post by Joseph »

Since many people don't know who I am, I figured this picture which shows my face is better than one in full hang glider regalia.

Thanks Christian for all you help.

If anyone thinks that me thanking Christian is an example of shameless pandering for a vote... your wrong! :wink:
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

So he can't post an avatar, so what? He is running to be President.

I look for Vision. A big Idea or Goal. Like "Opening new launches is the priority", or "Securing the property from development (is the priority)".

There can be secondary ones as well: "Cleaning up the LZ so it doesn't look like a 12 year old's treehouse" for example.

Also maybe "Planting some new grass/bushes/trees before next summer", or even "Establishing a Mentor program to retain H-2's".

The Ride-Board on the web site is a great idea. Ditto the weather per Text-Message. But it is not a "goal" of the Board. Call it a "Freelancer Invitation"*.

I would guess three goals per year is plenty. One big one requiring committee involvement/approval and two to three supplementary ones that can be delegated 100%. And a couple of "Freelancer Invitations".

*(Sorry, can't think of anything snappier right now.."partial solutions"...)
Chip
Site Admin

Ride Sharing

Post by Chip »

Ride Sharing portion of the forum is easy and not something that needs a lot of discussion.

It's going to auto purge after 14 days so it will automatically be kept up to date.

Users will still need to be registered to post.

Not sure how much it will be used but if we think it'll be useful then hey let's try it.

Done! 8)
Chip
Site Admin

On Line Discussions

Post by Chip »

Doug Wrote:
With the declining membership I see the initiation fee as a small barrier. We could offer new members 6 months of free storage in its place.
Wow, paying someone to be a member, nice. But do they get the top row? :|

Giving them free storage so they get used to it and then charge them later, kind of like giving them free high speed internet and then charging them after they get used to the speed (cause you know they won't want to go slower). :idea:

Doug also wrote:
Sites like Lookout mountain are doing great business - a million dollars a year. We should look at what they are doing right. They have 55 acres and camping/hotels but may be handing out ratings prematurely.
With 55 acres I don't think they have the restrictions we have. Also I believe Lookout is able to teach towing and they have enough space to teach and accommodate mosquitoes and other power harness's which we've restricted. Paragliding is also a likely source of revenue for them. None of this seems possible for Sylmar.

Are we really competing against Lookout? I think more likely our great weather year-round makes us compete against other sporting interests of young people that are bombarded with other "sexy", adrenaline ridden sports. Piggy-backing on efforts like the advertising campaign that's sprung up from a grass-roots effort might be beneficial for our organization.

Don't get me wrong here, I think discussions like these are healthy for our sport and more importantly our organization. Having these discussions on line may also prove more beneficial than having them all done at board meetings or in committee. I hope that this upcoming board will utilize the forum set aside for the BOD more frequently. I believe this is a good way to allow members to actively participate in the future of the club and the sport.