Sydney tornado

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

jdevorak

Sydney tornado

Post by jdevorak »

Last week ended with dinner at Molly and Bill Moyes house in Bonte Beach. EVERY Sunday is family night. I mean 25 people (up to 40 some nights) of kids, grandkids and great grandkids. It is a slender 3 story house across the street from a world famous surfing beach. Most of the kids are surfers and there are 19 surfboards on racks on the patio and front room. On the wall of the dining room is a photo of Wiley, Steve’s son, surfing deep in the tube of a Bonte wave. He is so deep in the pocket and the photographer is so close there is no outside the tube. It is easily the best surfing photo I have ever seen. The front room also has a trampoline that usually has a couple of kids bouncing on it. The back patio is also loaded with potted plants. As soon as I walked through the door Bill grabbed me to move a 7 foot palm tree to the second story patio. It is easy to feel part of the family as Bill told me how he courted Molly on the front stoup of a house a few doors up the road, while we took a beer break. The household is run by women. He had 4 girls and one boy.

Work at the Moyes factory went well up until Wednesday morning tea break. It started raining. I don’t mean a hard California rain. I mean a hard Arizona monsoonal rain. It was pounding the tin roof so hard everybody stopped working to look outside. The winds were whipping so hard it blew a rubbish bin down the alley. It started hailing. The power went off. It continued for 20 minutes and then lightened up for about 20 minutes. Paramedic after fire truck after paramedic went by toward Kurnell, the nearest town. Then another storm cell hit just as hard. The emergency power went out. The workers that relied on power went home. The glider production workers (me included) stayed because we didn’t need electricity to work. Vicki and Jenny Moyes stayed as did Geroff and Bobby Bailey. About 2pm Vicki left for an appointment in Cronulla and gave me a lift home as the road to Kurnell was closed and the busses were no longer running. We found out that there had been a tornado and it tore the roof of the desalination plant a kilometer away. The next day I took the bus into work but it turned around 3k’s from the shop. The road was still closed.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
JD

Post by JD »

Thanks for the reports Jay. What is your plan for this trip? Are you ever coming back?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Jay is Sheila hunting. His trapping permit is limited to sables/silvers and brindles; bagging a ginger or the elusive red-devil variety would levy a huge penalty.

If successful, he may never return or he may bring his trophy home to the states. It depends... mostly on the Sheila. Some resist transplantation.

Break a leg, Jay!
JD

Post by JD »

So Jay the haole is stalking the wild wahine. :lol:
Will this play out like Mel Gibson & Piper Laurie in 1979? :wink:
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Cronulla where I'm staying is a beach town and there are a lot of nice Sheilas walking around in their bikinis. Some are even my age. Thursday I couldn't get into work so I walked down the beach for a way. I went by a troupe of teenage girls and I heard one of them say over my shoulder, "He has a pretty good build for an old fella". We'll see. It took most of my money just visiting for 6 weeks so I am not competing in Forbes. Geroff has asked me to drive chase for him, Attilla, Lukus and Sasha (the Russian woman).
Last edited by jdevorak on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD

Post by JD »

Isn't Sasha the Russian equivalent for Sheila?
I wish you an enjoyable courtship at the Fortune 100 Race.
r8pistol

Post by r8pistol »

Great report Jay. Keep em comin. I loved Oz, it reminded me of the US before we got so self important and ridiculous. Hope your trip continues as well as its seemingly started. How bout some pics too of all your adventures. Good luck finding your girl.

Please bring me back 10 of the large Cherry Ripes. I will pay you back double what it costs to get them home. ;)
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

hail storm
Thanks to Rob Deringer for the prod.

https://goo.gl/photos/qjG4cjLe1QjGFRUUA
JD

Post by JD »

If you watch really close you can see Jay go whizzing by without any wings.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJO6ZjRU_yE[/youtube]

A few miles down the road Jay get pulled from the back of this truck..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmEgsVN750[/youtube]

Later on, Jay stops for coffee only the have the roof collapse on him...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZJF4wPQP-s[/youtube]

What an adventurer! :D :D