Zipper lubricants

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

mrobin604

Zipper lubricants

Post by mrobin604 »

I've seen people use silicone spray to lubricate their zippers on their harnesses and their VG systems... poking around on hanggliding.org, people seem to like sailkote better because it's a dry lubricant and won't stain the sailcloth. Has anyone had any experiences using it, good or bad?

I'd love to be able to keep the zippers on my sail, harness, and bag (as well as the VG) in smooth function and not worry about damage to the sail.
JD

Re: Zipper lubricants

Post by JD »

mrobin604 wrote:I've seen people use silicone spray to lubricate their zippers on their harnesses and their VG systems... poking around on hanggliding.org, people seem to like sailkote better because it's a dry lubricant and won't stain the sailcloth. Has anyone had any experiences using it, good or bad?

I'd love to be able to keep the zippers on my sail, harness, and bag (as well as the VG) in smooth function and not worry about damage to the sail.
Me and others have had great results with either of these two inexpensive alternatives:
ZIPPER-EASE Pencil Type Zipper Wax Lubricant

Star brite Snap and Zipper Lubricant with PTEF

Never use silicone anywhere on a hang glider or harness unless it specifically says it safe for use around food or for sewing. Other silicone sprays contains many different forms of petroleum which can damage and stain plastic parts. Better just to avoid silicone altogether.

ZIPPER-EASE is a mixture of different waxes and does not dry out. Dangerous Dave Gibson told me about it and is as anal-retentive as they come. He said he uses it on all his zippers everywhere and on his keel for VG system lubrication.

By accident, I bought Start Brite Zipper Lube instead which is a non-staining Teflon gel that needs the excess wiped off but works fantastically well on zippers and on my keels for VG friction reduction.

Sailkote is overpriced, lubricates poorly and doesn't last more than a few flights. Zipper-Ease or Star Brite Zipper Lube can be stored in your harness in a ziplock bag along with some paper towel to wipe off the excess. When you're setting up on launch and anything sticks you'll be good to go.