Sad News of OP's passing

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

greblo

Sad News of OP's passing

Post by greblo »

We've only just learned that Orion Price passed away in October of medical complications. He was found by his landlord in his apartment. His Sister, Summer Bushnell has asked that friends not yet contact Orian's mother, but may call Summer if they wish. Email Joe at Windsports for her phone number if you'd like to speak with her.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Orian

Post by Ken Andrews »

This is tragic news. I don’t yet know how to come to terms with it.

Always entertaining, occasionally maddening, Orian found more creative ways to interact with the world than anyone I’ve ever known. Whether he was discussing the traditional ethnic food of his people (Cheetos and Mountain Dew, as likely as not), or debating the theological meaning of dragons in the Bible with a fundamentalist foolish enough to put her cell phone number in her car window, Orian was always good for a laugh. At the same time, he had an astounding wealth of information on every possible subject. He was just as knowledgeable about the chemistry of plastics, as he was about how to shift gears in a tractor-trailer rig. Not many people have hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail, at 40 miles/day no less; and it may be even fewer who could hold a serious conversation about neutron stars while wearing an empty Kentucky Fried Chicken container as a hat. Without Orian’s perpetual spark of creativity, knowledge, and hilarity, our little world is a lesser place.
Janica

Remembrance

Post by Janica »

Although Orion's passing is 2-months-past, will a memorial be held among the hg community for him? Would very much like to attend.
There's nothing left
if everything is right.
mario

Post by mario »

Very sad news indeed.
Thanks for writing that Ken. I couldn't have expressed our loss any better.
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

Opie was real. That's science.
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I was shocked when I read this last night. He was a good Friend and a formidable adversary both at once which is a rare and beneficial combination.

He posted sometimes under the name Horatio Allger who like him self, according to wikipedia:
"..was a prolific 19th-century American author, best known for his many young adult novels about impoverished boys and their rise from humble backgrounds to lives of middle-class security and comfort through hard work, determination, courage, and honesty..."

Orian was somewhat of an artist and here is his final youtube video he posted October 11th 2016 under Horatio Allger :

"Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'Cause I always do."
"Published on Oct 11, 2016
The first song is about futility of pursuing an unrequited love. The video is about that too. But mostly the importance of eternal hope and the miracle of faith."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=972kE-d5qzE[/youtube]

His passing is an immense to both hang gliding and humanity.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

His passing is an immense loss to both hang gliding and humanity.
chadness

Post by chadness »

I don't know what to say. Have to say something. This is absolutely awful. This is a terrible loss to me, to us in the club, and to the world. Orian could be such a jokester at times and the irrational parts of my brain keep trying to pretend this news is fake...and that feels better...
Joe Faust

Orian Price

Post by Joe Faust »

See you soon, OP.
=============================================
Some notes:

=======================================
OP
okprice
Orian Price HE SIGNED WITH THIS SPELLING.
Orion Price
Horatio Alger
OP used the spelling: horatio allger with the two ls
Hang glider famous dad: Chris Price, early-modern pioneer

==============================================
He bought from me one of my hang gliders. Paid $350 by check. He planned to gift the hang glider to a school in Chile.
======

EMAIL EXCHANGE in 2012:
I've seen Beem fly it, for that price, i can take it to chile and leave it there as a gift to the local pg school.

If no one out bids me, 300 Im in.

=== Sept. 25, 2012:
My offer is 300. most people pay more than that for storage.

I work all day tomorrow. i could get it at lunch in a pich. or could i take it home on sunday eveninf? i dont know how its currently stored. is a sunday pickup a show stopper? i work neAr by the club.
===
For want of a book of stamps, check didnt make the mailbox until today. i pay everything online these days.

Thanks for contacting jay for me.

==================================================
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Alger_myth
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Alger
=========================================

https://plus.google.com/110829743629360810976
Tagline
I spin the dreidel during ramadan to support neptune and zeus on earth. All praise be to Hosanna.
Introduction
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast... but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast.

G+ circle: 69 persons

He listed:
Work & Education
Employment
Business Admissinstration
Business Administrator, 2015
Education
Richmond Street Elementary School
His photo albums See many photos.
https://get.google.com/u/0/albumarchive ... 9360810976
horatio's Album Archive
==============================
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

Hi SHGA,

I'm not a hang glider. I was Orian's college roommate and a friend who went with him and spent time with him in Hawaii. I have just learned of his passing. In a frantic Google search to determine what I couldn't believe to be true I found your posts.

I'm stunned and in disbelief. We hadn't kept in close touch since college but would exchange the odd e-mail or link me the random strange thing which I'm sure is not surprising to any of you who knew him.

Orian was one of my first close friends in college after moving away from home. He had a profound influence on who I am and the person I've become. It's really hard to come to grips with this. I was certain he would outlive us all by a good measure. He's the only person I've ever know to down a 12-pack and get up the next morning and run a half marathon.

He taught me a lot about computers which lead to my career in IT. I can remember him assembling conduit to divert his wall-unit air conditioner into the side of his PC case so he could overclock it that little bit extra, or warping a video card due to extreme overclocking with dry ice resting on it just to see how far he could push it.

He was the first and only person I've witnessed pissing into a briefcase. I once had to redirect him from pissing in the fridge, in front of some guests no less. I remember being angry with him as he rode our Domino's moped down the street in Hawaii with a Russian flag fashioned as a cape. It was not uncommon to walk into his room, find him sitting at his computer in his tighty whities, eating chili from a can and reading posts on Howstuffworks.com. I remember one day he told me he had run out of articles. He had read them all. I'm sure that's not hard to believe with the vast of amount of knowledge he seemed to have on any given topic.

I remember a summer we were both working in Forest Ranch up above Chico. He had a strange job that alternated between circuit board repair one day and chainsaw work removing brush the next. We were both riding motorcycles at the time. He seized the engine on his KLR when it ran out of oil so I had to give him a ride home that day on the back of my bike. As we got down the hill and pulled into Chico we pulled up to a stoplight. Of course, the car next to us with full of some hot sorority chics and there we were, two grown men sitting nut to butt. They looked at us and burst out laughing. That motorcycle spent the better part of the next year sitting in the kitchen in parts and pieces.

He would sometimes send me links of his hang gliding routes or videos of his flights. I know he really enjoyed you guys and the time he spent with you.

I still can't accept this and it will take some time to process. I wish I had kept in better touch these last few years. Thank you for this post and the rememberance video that was posted.

I've lost most of the pictures from our college years but I did find this one of us from our time in Hawaii.

RIP Orian.
greblo

Remembering Orian

Post by greblo »

The turnout for Orian was tremendous and the love and appreciation shown by all his friends was, I believe, a great comfort to his mom and sister and all who were close to him.

Thanks to Cathy, Kat and Nancy for a fantastic job of making this so successful and rewarding and Jim and Richard for joining their team.

Brandon Peterson, Nancy Robertson and others recorded much of the event which will be compiled for viewing by Jonathan Dietch. Richard Shaw was, as usual, quietly and inconspicuously helping on the sidelines.

Phil, Rob, and Ken choreographed the "Missing Man Formation" tribute to Orian and dear friend, Robb Derringer, made certain that OP maintains an everlasting presence in and over the mountains that he flew so often.
Juan Corral and Mike Soultanian donated their matching painted Falcons to add a touch of elegance and symmetry to the performance.

Thanks to Steve Murillo who guided everyone through the afternoon with his sensible leadership and comfortable speaking abilities.
Thanks to all the thoughtful, heartfelt words from all who chose to tell the story of their adventures with Orian.

Good work Shelly and Janyce for crewing for the pilots.

Thanks also to Lynn McLaughlin for reaching out to OP's family and encouraging us to make this event happen the way it has.

Most of all, please know how very grateful Orian's Mom, Carol and sister, Summer are, to all of you that took the time to attend, to contribute, to share your stories and to show your appreciation and memories of the son and brother and friend that we've lost.

Joe Greblo
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

Just want to add that Orian had an uncanny ability to challenge my beliefs and help me question things in interesting ways. I learned more from Orian than I did in any college classroom.

Despite all the shenanigans from our formative years we always knew he had a brilliant mind and would go on to do amazing things.

In the remembrance video it was really cool to see a diverse group of people all relate to him and share memories that are so easy to relate to. He touched a lot of lives. I've only cried twice in my adult life and last night was one of them.

I've notified other old roommates and college friends. We're all stunned. It's just so hard to believe. I'm further saddened we've only learned of this now. We're reaching out to Natalie today. If anyone can PM me or provide any details on what happened I would really appreciate it.
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

Mike Palmer wrote:He was the first and only person I've witnessed pissing into a briefcase. I once had to redirect him from pissing in the fridge, in front of some guests no less.
Old habits die hard!

Thanks for the stories Mike. You'll be happy to know Orian was very much the same guy you knew in college :)

Marshall
Steve90266

Orian Price

Post by Steve90266 »

Mike Palmer, this came as a HUGE shock to us all. Orian told some crazy, funny stories of his time in Hawaii, delivering Pizza. Were you the guy he came out to visit, and then ended up staying there?

If you have not heard from anyone yet, I have limited information but would be happy to share what I can. Call me on my cell at 310-266-4154 or email me at [email protected].
Steve Murillo