Sticky Fingers

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Steve90266

Sticky Fingers

Post by Steve90266 »

I was out last Sunday, flying around in some excellent spring air conditions. After about 45 minutes of flying I decided to head in. The usual pattern, etc, but on final I was higher than normal.

As I honked it in on my right down tube, my glove slipped off the aluminum tubing. I'm using some motocross gloves that have a smooth, pitted cloth across the palm and fingers. That's never happened before. Time lost, I immediately switched to both hands on the control bar and brought it in to my waist. I landed without incident.

I decided to look into this grip thing and think I've found a good solution. It's called TEGS. It's a gripping system that requires the TEGS product on both the gloves and the surface you need to grip. Kind of like mini-vlecro, with instant release. Or so they say.

I went here and purchased some tactical TEGs grip gloves and some tape to wrap on my down tubes and control bar. I realize this might add some parasitic drag, but I'd rather be safe and in control when I need it most. Check it out and I'll let folks know how it goes once I've got it in the air.

https://loftactical.com/shop/sentry-glove/
Steve Murillo
gregangsten

glove grip

Post by gregangsten »

I've been happily using Mad Grip gloves for flying. They are as sticky as you'll ever want and only around $10 a pair. Search for them at Home Depot (online) or Lowe's.
Steve90266

Sticky Fingers

Post by Steve90266 »

I got the gloves and the tape. Tried them out and they work great. I just ordered more tape to put on the down tubes.

I had gloves from Home Depot that I used for years. They finally gave up the ghost, so I thought I'd try something more technical.

The only draw-back: The gloves act like velcro. So when I pull on my harness cords, the end piece doesn't want to let go of my glove. Kinda like trying to get rid of a sticky booger. :-)

The trades we make. Hoy.
Steve Murillo
gregangsten

Mad Grip

Post by gregangsten »

The only drawback I've found with the Mad Grip gloves is their durability. Not good, especially on your string-pulling hand, but still definitely worth it.
Malury

Post by Malury »

I always liked the cheap, rubberized gardening gloves from Home Depot. Barely warm enough and quite grippy. If you drop one in flight or you loaned them to Darryl, it's not a big loss. Easy to wash too.