King Mountain

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

gregangsten

King Mountain

Post by gregangsten »

I'm sure everyone has gotten that email from USHPA regarding the possible threat to King Mtn. as a flying site. I hope everyone who has flown there or hopes to, takes a moment to comment here:

https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Minim ... 804dde8147

It would be such a shame to lose such a truly magnificent flying site. Do it now, the deadline for comments on its designation as a wilderness area is tomorrow, Saturday!
lswendt

Re: King Mountain

Post by lswendt »

Hi All,

I spoke to John Kangas about WHAT we should include in a comment to the Forest Service. Here's what he told me is important to emphasize:

• King Mountain is a historic hang gliding site. It is one of the oldest sites and has been in consistent use since the sport’s inception. It is also the site of National competitions and continues to draw pilots from all over the world.

• Maintaining access to launch is critical. The Forest Service constructed and maintains the current road to launch so they have already identified the site’s importance to the sport of silent soaring.

• Hang gliding has created a significant positive economic impact to Butte County—one of the poorest counties in Idaho. The local community embraces hang gliding and sees an increase in business due to pilot visitors who visit the area each year.

Hoping everyone posts a comment. As Joe said we are losing sites not gaining them so EVERY site matters.

Comment period closes end of day Saturday, January 19.