harness cleaning

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Lucky 13

harness cleaning

Post by Lucky 13 »

What is a safe way do clean a harness. My cat decided the harness was part of her territory. I have a knee hanger harness. She marked it thoroughly.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Ouch. If it wasn't "Marked", I could maybe give advice, but I had a glider bag marked that way (by a dog) a few years ago, and forever after, other dogs wanted to re-mark it. I washed it with bleach, fabric softener, and a bunch of other things. I was pretty aggressive, under the assumption that it was just a glider bag, not a harness or glider. Nothing worked. Bleach helped some, but DON'T use that on your harness! :o Also, I tried the lysol that comes in a small brown bottle used for laundry. (Not the spray stuff.) That also seemed to help with the glider bag. I have no idea if it is safe for harness fabric.

I heard rumor that tomato juice will work, but have no knowledge of that.

I'd ask Greblo first, then if he doesn't know, ask Wills Wing, or Rob McKenzie. Then I'd try the OZ report. But I'd be careful with any answers you get from the OZ report. They are often good. They are often bogus. You don't want to damage the harness fabric.

Or you could just clean it with Simple Green, and if the other animals want to mark it again, take this as an opportunity to get a new harness. ;-)

Normally, Simple Green is a good solution for harni (the plural of harnesses?). Maybe Febreeze would help with the re-marking issue (after using Simple Green to clean it, of course.) But that's just a guess. I didn't try Febreeze on the glider bag, not having heard of it at the time (many years ago.)

Good luck. Those pheromone markings are tough to get out. And cats and dogs have such good noses you have to get it completely out or others will attempt to over-dub your harness....
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Don

Harness

Post by Don »

Chris,

While too late now - if you flew more this would not have happened. :?

Hope to see you in the air more often.

Don
JT

Post by JT »

Not much you can do about the smell, now. For the future, you may want to try one of the many brands of dry or liquid coyote pee available online. Most are guaranteed to ward off skunks, rabbits, cats and other wildlife frequenting your yard (or harness). As an added bonus, you can spray some on your wingtips to keep away the goats commonly found in the LZ these days. Doesn't work on dogs, though. In fact, it may attract other canines but, not to worry, since they aren't usually present in the breakdown area; only the goats.

I hear from other user-friends that the coyote pee does work well, although, they did complain about the smell in the back yard. Not a problem for you since you have nothing left to lose, right?

Maybe this should be posted on the OZ report for anyone else in need?
I leave it up to George to decide.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I wonder if you can buy mountain lion pee.... That ought to keep just about anything away, eh? ;-)
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

You should try Andy or Phills pee get it from them on a late Saturday after flying, the sent will make the animal drunk & it will not remember where it was.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracle-R ... B00008437W

Natures Miracle might work. Remove the chute(I hope she didn't get the chute) and follow the directions. I would fill a 5 gallon bucket and let it sit in there 2 days. It might take more than once. If there is any chance it could weaken the harness and make it dangerous then buy one of those Moyes Matrix harnesses :)

http://www.moyes.com.au/productdetail.a ... =Harnesses
JT

Post by JT »

Gee, this forum thing is kind of like Microsoft. Lots of information available when you click the HELP button but none of it useful.

On the other hand, cat spray may ward off other pilots from your thermal, so maybe it isn't such a bad thing. Just don't expect to sit with anyone for the apres soar party, either.