Gary Patmore on Phoenix 8 at Sylmar ca 1976

Links to flying related videos.
JD

Gary Patmore on Phoenix 8 at Sylmar ca 1976

Post by JD »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deZek80xe04[/youtube]
ca 1976 16mm from the estate of Bill & Mary Bennett. Phoenix 8 w/ drogue chute piloted by Gary Patmore who launches from the 1500 and lands at Olive View Hospital LZ.
Thanks to Rome for the footage from the Bennett estate.
I found a cheap conversion service on ebay.
chadness

Post by chadness »

that is an awesome video. thanks for converting and posting. deploying a drogue chute? Seems he was already flying one:)

Still though, if Gary is utilizing a drogue chute for landing a Phoenix 8 glider in this LZ how tough is going to be on a topless with the new construction around and debris in this LZ and no drogue. Hmmm....
JD

Post by JD »

chadness wrote:.....Still though, if Gary is utilizing a drogue chute for landing a Phoenix 8 glider in this LZ how tough is going to be on a topless with the new construction around and debris in this LZ and no drogue. Hmmm....
I think Gary was testing the drogue chute and didn't really need it as you mentioned. However, some of us feel that a bailout walk is overdue. I was talking w/ Mallury this morning who described the significant changes to the Dunsmuir Debris Basin in Deukmajian Park. Your comments about Olive View are eeven more on point. I was thinking about buying an R/C electric glider and mounting my camera and doing aerial recon and simulated landing approaches. A GPS could be mounted on the glider as well. I know this seems like overkill, so a series of hikes along with some good still photos and GPS measurements may do the job.
Rome Dodson

patmore

Post by Rome Dodson »

gary takeing off the 1500, & LANDING ON OLIVE VIEW DRIVE, JUST EAST OF HOSPITAL PROPERTY. ROME
seahawk190

Post by seahawk190 »

I flew with him at this site, a year after this was filmed. Drogue chutes were being used by some pilots who thought they helped their landings, while most pilots thought they were not useful. After a few years, drogue chutes were no longer used.