The other side

If your topic lands here, you either put it here yourself or one of the moderators thought it likely too polarizing a subject to stay in the General Discussion area
Brad Hall

The other side

Post by Brad Hall »

To; Sylmar Pilots and Friends

The time is here for the USHPA Region 3 Director elections. I feel I have done a good job representing our entire region for the past 3 years and I would like to continue doing so. I am involved in many facets of the job including site preservation, competition, bylaws, awards and others. I have been diligent in appointments of observers, examiners, and instructors. I have offered assistance to many and generally served our region without overstepping my boundaries. I am pleased that among the many of my endorsements, I can add Joe Greblo as one. I ask that you follow his example and check your ballot with my name and send it in. I would also ask you to check Rob Sporrer on the ballot.

Thank You

Brad Hall
Brad.reg3@gmail.com
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Brad,

I'm sorry to have to track you down on the Sylmar forum, but you've called me a liar on other sites and then run away. I don't appreciate that kind of behavior. You've exhibited similar actions before on the Sylmar site with your thinly veiled accusations regarding my conduct at Torrey.

Now on the San Diego forum, I have challenged you to post your official communications with the Torrey Pines Soaring Council, San Diego City Council, San Diego Mayor, and Torrey Pines State Park. You have refused to do that. Then you posted the following message referencing Joe Greblo and calling me a liar:

http://sdhgpa.freeforums.org/post873.html
Brad Hall wrote:In case anyone needed a lesson on why you should vote for me, just read the posts here by Bob K. Has anyone in the flying community ever been more out of touch with reality? Last time I looked there were 3 candidates on the RD ballot, and Bob is not one of them. Once again we are seeing a desperate move to convince everyone that "Bobs way" is the only way. I am now "called out" in BIG RED LETTERS!. Really, the lies and accusations made by Bob are well known by most everyone in the San Diego area. Seems he can't stand the fact that the SDHGPA has decided to endorse me. He has to insult and belittle them to try to make their opinions look like they don't matter as much as his own. What a pathetic move. I don't see him doing the same thing on the Sylmar forum where Joe Greblo has endorsed me. Using Bob K. logic, what does that say about Joe? Trying to take credit for the atmosphere at Torrey or the change of policy on tandem right of way rules shows how deluded he is. He was not even a participant in the discussions on right of way. It was the decision of the management and the pilots that actually fly at Torrey that brought about the changes. It is a better site in spite of his efforts, not because of them. It is way past time for him to get over his Jebb obsessions and move on. No one believes his accusations and there is no proof to back them up, so they should be seen for what they are; rants and unfounded accusations. This election is about the future of representation in Region 3. Not the past. I do not think having a Bob K. endorsement or having 99% of everything said about the candidate be from Bob is helping Jerry Katz gain credibility for himself. Just the opposite. Maybe it is time for Bob to shut his pie hole and for Jerry to speak up. By the way, I did an email search and the only thing in my files addressed to the mayor is posted below.

Brad
Brad, I value my reputation at all sites where I fly, and I will not allow you to slander me without proof. I am therefore challenging you to post any statement that justifies your use of the phrase: "the lies and accusations made by Bob".

Thank you.
Bob Kuczewski

P.S. It's clear that Brad Hall supported David Jebb. So a vote for Jerry Katz over Brad Hall finishes cleaning house in Region 3.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Despite the many good things Brad Hall has done for hang gliding and his visits to Sylmar, I have just marked my ballot for Jerry Katz and Rob Sporrer for region 3 regional directors. In my opinion Brad has not adequetly addressed the misrepresentative content of his letter to San Diego City Council member Donna Frye January 11th 2008. The letter posted on the ozforum at:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=8045

states "...The USHPA and the SGHGPA do not discriminate against either form of flight, and in fact work together to unify both flight disciplines. What ever wing the pilot chooses to fly makes no difference in the operations of the flight park. The same rules apply equally to both. To separate them would be like having a longboarder and a shortboarder pitted against each other at a break that permits both. No one wins. .."

As I understand it Torrey requires a Paraglider be a P1 rating and a hang glider be an H4 rating. In my opinion this is a substantial inequality in required training and flights required. A paraglider needs a few days of training where a hang glider requires a few years of training to fly Torrey.

My harsh stance on this issue comes from the years I served as Manager of information Systems at a Rockwell International entity where standards of business conduct and ethics are formal and paramount.

If I am wrong please correct me otherwise my vote stands.
Doug Martens
Brad Hall

Region 3 elections

Post by Brad Hall »

Doug,

I stand by the facts of the letter you refer to. The USHPA and the SDHGPA both support HG and PG at Torrey Pines. The rules for flight are the same. Yes, there is PG instruction at Torrey. A P1 and a P2 are allowed to fly under direct supervision, trailing a long yellow ribbon, and in constant radio contact with his instructor. P3 pilots are allowed to fly after a certain number of hours and a sign off by a certified instructor. HG pilots need to be H4. Neither the USHPA or the SDHGPA have any say in this city approved policy. While in the air, the rules for both are exactly the same. That was my point. 2 years have passed since I wrote the letter. Nearly a year has passed since the Jebbs left Torrey. Region 3 is far bigger than this one site, and the work of a RD involves much more than web posting. I am not going to engage in email wars with anyone. I think that if anyone cares enough to vote, I will respect their decision, whatever candidate they pick.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Brad,

The quote that Doug refers to was from a letter you wrote to Donna Frye with the intention of keeping the Torrey Hawks Hang Gliding Club from attaining a seat on the Torrey Pines City Park Advisory Board.

You used your title as Regional Director in that letter, and as Doug points out, you blatently misrepresented a clear inequity at Torrey Pines. But beyond that, you wrote that letter behind our backs. As a Regional Director you took the side of your favored club against another USHPA Chapter and didn't have the integrity to inform the Hawks of your actions.

And to make matters worse, when a fragment of your letter was discovered in a search buffer, and you were asked to produce the entire letter, you refused. In fact, you refused numerous requests until I eventually had to meet with San Diego City Councilwoman Donna Frye herself to get a copy of what turned out to be a series of backstabbing letters.

Brad, this is not some small mistake. This was a calculated attempt to undermine a USHPA Chapter with the City of San Diego. It was also a demonstration that you cannot be trusted to be honest with the people you want to represent. I'm sorry, but that crosses all lines for me. You simply cannot be trusted any more. Period.

And while I'm on that subject, I understand that when you found that the Torrey Hawks had been formed (fall of 2007), you took action through USHPA to change one of our Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to suddenly require a Regional Director's approval for all new Chapters. And when you later found out that the Hawks had already obtained Chapter status, you didn't follow up with your request at the full Board meeting.

This demonstrates 2 different things. First, it demonstrates that you intended to modify USHPA policies across the entire United States just to keep the Torrey Hawks from being a USHPA Chapter. Second, the fact that you didn't follow through afterward demonstrates that the change wasn't important to you for any reason other than to harm the Hawks.

This is another shameful abuse of your Directorship, and it demonstrates a willingness to use your power for your own personal agenda. It also demonstrates your back door tactics which are consistent with your secret letters to Donna Frye.

And while I'm on the topic of secrecy, you have opposed the Accountability Amendment which would specify a uniform set of rules (Robert's Rules) for USHPA Board meetings and greatly reduce the use of secret ballots (where Directors vote in secret so USHPA members don't know how they've voted). This is another example where you are ignoring the will of your members rather than representing them.

Brad, you have allowed your personal loyalty to David Jebb and your perosnal hatred for me to corrupt your actions as Regional Director. In fact, just yesterday, in an email message to the entire Board you asked me to resign. We need Directors in our Region who are willing to work together and not undermine each other. I have asked you numerous times to discuss various matters and you have refused (sometimes hanging up the phone and other times insulting me and walking away). If you are re-elected that will mean at least one more year of this conflict. You have been given many opportunities to work together and you've refused. I'm sorry, but your personal grudge against me is just one more disqualification for the position of Regional Director. Jerry Katz is just the opposite. He often sends me email messages and attends flying events with me. We've attended one of the recent Forest Service meetings together so we could ensure that hang gliding and paragliding activities are taken into consideration in future Forest Service plans for the LA area. That's the kind of Regional Director that we need - someone willing to work with the other local Directors and not against them.

Well, that's enough for now.

In conclusion Doug, I think you made the right choice. I urge everyone in the Sylmar Hang Gliding Association to vote for Jerry Katz and Rob Sporrer.

Sincerely,
Bob Kuczewski
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Brad,

Thank you for your quick and enlightening response. The only stupid question is one that isn't asked. Why is their no hang glider school at Torrey then? We have a Paraglider school at Sylmar. The only reason I could guess at is just like Sylmar is too strong many days for a paraglider, Torrey is too light many days for a hangglider.

Doug Martens
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Brad Hall,

You wrote:
"the lies and accusations made by Bob are well known by most everyone in the San Diego area"
If they're so well known Brad, then maybe you could list a few of my lies off the top of your head. Come on, back up your words with some facts Brad.

I may not be well known to everyone at Sylmar, but the people who know me know that I'm not a liar.

So back it up or pack it up.

Bob Kuczewski
Brad Hall

the other side

Post by Brad Hall »

Doug,

I don't know how many hours you have at Torrey in the many different conditions that occur there. As a hg training site, I do not think it is suitable. Ridge soaring skills, especially in light conditions with lots of different types of aircraft in a very restricted lift zone takes a pilot who can deal with it unfailingly every time. The same is true of the need to top land in strong conditions with differing wind directions. The standard set by agreement with the lease holder and the city for flying Torrey is H4. There is a program to allow H3's to fly and earn their H4. There have been schools at Torrey in the past and they all taught off site. The USHPA does not control the site and does not even insure it. No RD can or should interfere with the agreements that keep the site open. If there was a will and a way for a hg training program at Torrey it would be done. It is simply not feasible. Add to that the lack of HG instructors in SD and the lack of training hills here, it is no wonder the hg population keeps shrinking. I send everyone to John Hieny and to Rob or Joe.
Bob Kuczewski

Re: the other side

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Brad,

You wrote that "The standard set by agreement with the lease holder and the city for flying Torrey is H4." Can you cite any document or agreement that specifies this? Can you cite any document or agreement that specifies "P0" pilots can make their first solo flights there?

Also, Torrey Pines is governed by a 28 page lease, and yet there is no mention in those 28 pages of any rating (hang gliding or paragliding) required to fly at Torrey. So where did this requirement arise? When did the paragliding rating become P0?

Furthermore, Brad, since you said "the lies and accusations made by Bob are well known by most everyone in the San Diego area", surely you could list just a few lies for us?

I am once again challenging you to post any statement(s) that justify your own accusations that I have lied.

Bob Kuczewski

Brad Hall wrote:Doug,

I don't know how many hours you have at Torrey in the many different conditions that occur there. As a hg training site, I do not think it is suitable. Ridge soaring skills, especially in light conditions with lots of different types of aircraft in a very restricted lift zone takes a pilot who can deal with it unfailingly every time. The same is true of the need to top land in strong conditions with differing wind directions. The standard set by agreement with the lease holder and the city for flying Torrey is H4. There is a program to allow H3's to fly and earn their H4. There have been schools at Torrey in the past and they all taught off site. The USHPA does not control the site and does not even insure it. No RD can or should interfere with the agreements that keep the site open. If there was a will and a way for a hg training program at Torrey it would be done. It is simply not feasible. Add to that the lack of HG instructors in SD and the lack of training hills here, it is no wonder the hg population keeps shrinking. I send everyone to John Hieny and to Rob or Joe.
adamwn2000

Post by adamwn2000 »

Brad Hall you write
There is a program to allow H3's to fly and earn their H4.
I whould like to know more about this program being that Im a H3 and that I know more H3s would want to fly there to.
Brad Hall

the other side

Post by Brad Hall »

Adam,

I know Steve Stackable is the chief HG Instructor at Torrey, as well as an Examiner. He would be the person to talk to for the requirements and costs involved. Good guy, great teacher. Give him a call. The # at the
office is (858)4529858.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

As a side note I read that Jonathan NMERider posted about using Steve Stackable as an instructor at Torrey in January.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?p=109474

"...............and NMERider had his first flights at Torrey since 1974 today on his T2 144. I am a Hang 3 and I cheerfully paid my $195 for plenty of expert instruction from Steve Stackable. I got in 4 flights with about 1:30 total air time. The quality of Steve's instruction was excellent and invaluable to safely landing on top at Torrey. It is definitely a Hang 4 flying site regardless of what P-rating it may be. There are very good reasons for this as I experienced first hand. Steve's instructions over the 2-meter radio while in the air and his instructions and follow-up after each of my 4 flights were equally valuable and essential. I will also add that it was a real pleasure meeting Robin, Pete-o, and the rest of the crew. I was treated great. It was a cheery atmosphere. I got > 600' above and was able to run the entire 4-mile ridge. I got to chase after 3 world class pilots on their comp gliders as they were skimming the ridge. I got in lots of good practice today and had a real blast. I will be back as time permits and I will post a blog entry about the overall experience which was positive."
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Brad,

I no longer consider the content of your letter to be "misrepresentative". I now consider the "substantial inequality" to be more of a natural difference in the flight characteristics of the 2 types of wings and the site characteristics. The proven fact a hang 3 can fly supervised at Torrey in my opinion creates a general equality between hang gliders and paragliders and this issue will no longer affect my vote for region 3 director. Thank you for clearing up the issue. Your efforts are appreciated.

Doug Martens
Brad Hall

the other side

Post by Brad Hall »

Thanks Doug,

I do not want to create the impression that there are no issues between the two disciplines at Torrey. PG's are, after all, the new guys on the block and in recent years do outnumber the HG's by a substantial number. There are a lot of HG pilots that now fly both and that helps. Anytime there are differences there will be issues. The current management has done a lot to help make everyone feel welcome and deserves a lot of the credit for how smooth the site runs. When someone comes to a site looking for trouble, they will no doubt find it. 99% of the pilots there are flying to have fun. Hope to see you in the air sometime soon.
Brad
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Doug,

Please don't be fooled by Brad's smooth lines. Brad Hall worked to implement a policy at Torrey that subjects ALL hang glider pilots to being ticketed (and fined) for landing on the beach, while allowing only the concessionaire's paragliding students to land on the beach with no ticket and no fine. So a brand new inexperienced paraglider pilot (with no spot landing skills) can make their first flight at Torrey and land on the Beach without getting a ticket, but an H4 pilot who has demonstrated consistent spot landing proficiency can be ticketed (thanks to Brad Hall)!! Now there is an "emergency landing" provision, but in the past, David Jebb has stated that he was the one to tell the lifeguards who should have launched and who should not. So if the lifeguards call the shop and say "Brad Hall has landed on the beach", then David Jebb can reply "The conditions were good when Brad launched, so that's fine". But if someone else lands on the beach, then Jebb could reply "The conditions were too light for [pilot I don't like] to have launched, and that guy should get a ticket". That's the kind of policy that Brad Hall supported!! That is not equality. That's cronyism.

Furthermore, the H3 "program" that was mentioned typically (depending on who you know) requires payment of very expensive "lesson fees" for every flight. This is NOT equality.

But most importantly (and what originated this whole issue), there remains no due process at Torrey Pines for any pilots who are "kicked out" or "banned" from the site by the concessionaire. David Beardslee was kicked out for life and I was kicked out for a year. In both cases no written reason was given. Brad Hall was copied (cc'd) on numerous messages where I simply asked David Jebb for a reason for my own banishment. I was not a Regional Director at that time (Brad Hall and David Jebb were my only local Directors then), so I was one of Brad's constituents (as many of you are). Brad Hall could have easily written something like this to David Jebb:
Hello Mr. Jebb (copy to Bob Kuczewski),

One of our local pilots (Bob Kuczewski) has been asking for the reason that you've banned him from flying at Torrey Pines. I think this is a reasonable request, and I am asking for you to send Mr. Kuczewski your written reasons, and please send me a copy as well.

Thanks.
That's what a Regional Director should do for pilots in his Region. That's what Brad Hall should have done for myself and for David Beardslee. He didn't have to take sides to make that request. But Brad Hall would not even do that one simplest of things because David Jebb was his "buddy" and Brad Hall's "cronyism" is stronger than his sense of fairness and justice. That's not what we need from a Regional Director, and this example is just the tip of the iceberg on Brad Hall.

I've been following this situation for 3 years now, so I know what Brad Hall has done. Please don't let him fool any of you into voting for him. Yes, this proabably sounds like "mud slinging", but how else can the pilots in the Sylmar club know anything about a San Diego Director, if you don't hear from someone who's had to deal with him for 3 years? I also notice that Brad is not replying to any of these postings. Given his track record, I think silence is probably his best defense!!

Sincerely,
Bob Kuczewski

dhmartens wrote:Brad,

I no longer consider the content of your letter to be "misrepresentative". I now consider the "substantial inequality" to be more of a natural difference in the flight characteristics of the 2 types of wings and the site characteristics. The proven fact a hang 3 can fly supervised at Torrey in my opinion creates a general equality between hang gliders and paragliders and this issue will no longer affect my vote for region 3 director. Thank you for clearing up the issue. Your efforts are appreciated.

Doug Martens
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

While I dont know too much about the circumstances of how this inequality came to be, but as unfair as all this sounds I can see some reasoning behind the lack of fines for a PG over an HG based on safety issues. A praaglider lands at much less velocity (most of the time) and requires less room to land. Therfore it would be a bit safer to set down a PG on a crowded beach then an HG. Also the HG has so much more mass to it that a colision with someone on the beach would be much more severe. Could this inequality be based on the club trying to not lose their site by eliminating a a risk of an HG related injury to a beachgoer?

Any thoughts on this?
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

addicted2climbing wrote:Any thoughts on this?
Thanks for your comments.

The first thing to remember is that there isn't a club running Torrey Pines. Torrey Pines is being run by a concessionaire only. So there is no club that can decide these issues (as there is at Sylmar). The land is owned by the City of San Diego and it was leased at no cost (other than providing 4 portable toilets and a flight director) to the current concessionaire.

This is an important distinction because it changes the entire dynamics of the site. Imagine if a paragliding business were to somehow gain control of the Sylmar launch and landing areas. What would happen to your club? Would the Sylmar club have any purpose? Would it have any authority? Maybe the SHGA would end up being just like the Torrey Hawks ... a voice for hang gliding pilots at a site being operated by a paragliding business. So this is an important difference between our sites.

Now it's not clear why the City of San Diego has given a no cost lease to David Jebb, but the lease does include a role for the Torrey Pines Soaring Council to represent pilot interests at that site. So in some sense, it is the Soaring Council that acts as the "club" at that site. And that makes sense since the site is used by hang glider pilots, paraglider pilots, sailplane pilots, and RC pilots. That's why the Soaring Council has traditionally contained members from all of those groups.

But we've had two problems with the Soaring Council. First, the Council itself had been undermined by the concessionaire for so long that it had stopped meeting altogether many years ago (I had to work hard just to get the Council meeting again at all). Second, when I did get the Council back together, it was not a proper mix of sports and clubs, and that's something that I'm still trying to fix...

The current Torrey Pines Soaring Council contains 7 clubs (these have changed from time to time in the past):

RC: AMA
RC: Gulls
RC: TPSSS

SP: SSA
SP: AGCSC

UL: USHPA
UL: SDHGPA

The "RC" stands for "Remote Control", the "SP" stands for "Sailplane", and the "UL" stands for "UltraLight". You'll notice that both hang gliding and paragliding are lumped into one category ("ultralights"). That means that we only get two representatives (and two votes) for both of our sports (hang glidng and paragliding). You'll also notice that somehow the RC clubs have 3 votes for their one sport!!

So one of the things that I've been working toward is gaining fair representation for both hang gliding and paragliding on the Soaring Council. That means that we should add at least one more HG/PG club so we have equal numbers with the RC clubs. Furthermore, the SDHGPA has become so much of a paragliding club (membership, Presidents, Vice Presidents...) that they would only choose paragliding pilots to represent them (until the Hawks came along). Brad Hall also only appointed paragliding pilots (because that's what David Jebb wanted him to do). So there were NO hang gliding pilots on that 7 member Soaring Council for most of 2007 until the Torrey Hawks Hang Gliding Club was formed and asked to join the Council. Suddenly, the SDHGPA changed their representative to a biwingual pilot just to try keep the Torrey Hawks from having a seat on that Council.

But even worse, Brad Hall, acting as USHPA's representative to that Council, voted against adding the Torrey Hawks Hang Gliding Club!! I believe that was one of several reasons that the USHPA Board voted to remove Brad Hall from the Soaring Council and replace him with Ken Baier.

So my first answer to your question about beach landings is that these matters should be worked out by the Soaring Council. They (should) have the combined expertise (and perspectives) to make that kind of a recommendation. But the Soaring Council must be balanced. It must have representatives that care about (and are dedicated to) each of the different flight disciplines. That's why the Council is supposed to have different clubs for each sport. But because of the way that paragliding was added to USHPA and the SDHGPA, it turns out that hang gliding has not gotten fair representation. Again, that's what I am working to correct and Brad Hall is working to oppose me on this (and on many other issues). Jerry Katz has supported adding the Hawks while Brad Hall has opposed it.

My second answer is that they have created a designated landing zone (LZ) for new paraglidng students. According to the document that I have, this LZ is 25 yards wide, and 75 yards long. This is more than sufficient for advanced hang glider pilots to land in. But based on Brad Hall's "negotiations", that landing zone is only for "the most inexperienced pilots during their entry-level flight instruction" which means it is only for paragliding pilots (since there is no hang gliding training at that site).

Now I asked Brad Hall if I could be involved in those negotiations, and he refused to allow me to participate. I certainly would have argued that if a P0 student on their first flight can land safely on that beach (in that zone), then an H4 pilot can do so with at least as much consistency and safety. But I didn't get the chance to participate because Brad Hall refuses to work with me as either a club president or a fellow Regional Director. Brad's refusal to work with others in these cases is another reason he does not deserve to be re-elected as Regional Director.

Thanks again for your posting.

Sincerely,
Bob Kuczewski

addicted2climbing wrote:While I dont know too much about the circumstances of how this inequality came to be, but as unfair as all this sounds I can see some reasoning behind the lack of fines for a PG over an HG based on safety issues. A praaglider lands at much less velocity (most of the time) and requires less room to land. Therfore it would be a bit safer to set down a PG on a crowded beach then an HG. Also the HG has so much more mass to it that a colision with someone on the beach would be much more severe. Could this inequality be based on the club trying to not lose their site by eliminating a a risk of an HG related injury to a beachgoer?

Any thoughts on this?
Brad Hall

the other side

Post by Brad Hall »

While I generally just ignore Bobs rants and desperate attempts to color anyone that does not agree with his twisted views, this one goes a little too far. I have to laugh while the most prolific poster anywhere calls me a "politician" Bob has his own web site, posts here, on HG.org, the ozreport forum , the SDHGPA forum,and who knows where else. There has to be hundreds of posts. He has emailed the EC of the USHPA to the point that he has been begged to stop. He fills the regional director boardlist almost daily with the s.o.s. to the point that the few that have not put him on their spam filters have all asked him to stop. He will not.
This from a RD that has threatened to bring legal action against the USHPA and has bragged that he is right and the assn. will have to pay for his legal fees to sue them. His actions have been described as despicable by the Pres. of the USHPA. He has called for the ouster of RD's that do not agree with him and the removal of the EC, while offering himself as the replacement candidate. (how is that going for you bob?)

Now to his latest post. Beach Landing:
The policy that has been in effect for over 3 decades, namely any aircraft that lands on the State Park beach is subject to a ticket, has not changed. What has happened is that through a negotiation process with all government entities involved in this issue, an agreement to allow a portion of beach to be coned off for pg students to land on has been reached. This is the very first time the State has agreed to any landings of any kind period. This is a step in the right direction. At no time was I acting as a RD and that was made clear to all from the first meeting. I did have a letter from the SDHGPA, the gliderport mgt., and the ASGSC (sailplanes) to speak on their behalf, along with the other members of the committee, to secure whatever we could for the entire flying community.
A plan was also presented to move ahead on the current airspace restrictions, and it was very well received. It is on hold while the budget and personnel crisis is resolved. This would once again allow HG and PG to fly to the point. The only negative thing that has happened was that Bob, after being asked not to interfere, showed up at the Ranger HQ and started making demands. If not for the good working relationship I had established, we could have lost all we had gained. I was told it would be "far easier to just ban all flying at the State Park than to have to take abuse from this a-h**e." Thanks for your help again Bob. Wonder why you are not asked for more? Is this what you think a RD should do? Have any HG pilots been ticketed for landing in the new zone? No. Would they be? Probably not, but that is up to the Rangers. If they were to follow Bobs example of landing on the beach at every opportunity, it would no doubt piss off a Ranger and ruin the option for everyone else. I watched Bob stand around all day in soarable conditions, only to fly a borrowed hg straight to the beach when the wind had died off. Clearly an intentional move designed to provoke a response. Big surprise, he got one. Bob has been the king of beach landing in his PG. The lifeguards know him by name. When asked not to launch in non soarable conditions, he did it anyway. I think along with a p-4 rating, good judgement is a requirement. This is not what has been demonstrated by Bob at Torrey.

This Jebb obsession of Bobs is just that. I worked on rare occasions with him because he was the manager of the flight park. We had our disagreements, but managed to keep the talks open and friendly. I won a few and lost a few. I would estimate over the 2 years he was at Torrey while I was a RD, we had 6 or fewer meetings of 1/2 hr or less. Bobs allegations are just that. Nothing based on fact. Furthermore, the Jebbs have been gone from Torrey for nearly a year.

The H-3 program that Bob refers to as one that charges is based on "who you know", is the very program Bob used to get his H-4 sign off from Stack. Instructors charge for their time. Always have and it is well deserved. Wonder if Bob got a diver special?

As Bob has been informed time and again by the USHPA, the Soaring Council and every RD, the issue of his suspension was between him and the concessionaire. I watched him do all he could to get kicked out and then cry bloody hell when it happened. He was offered through the Soaring Council, free of charge, a conflict resolution session by a professional mediator and blew it off with his added demands. The Mgt. (Jebb) stated up front he would abide by whatever decision the TPSC came up with. What did Bob have to lose?

Dave Beardslee came to me first with his suspension. I wrote up an agreement to get him back into the air quickly. I took it to the Mgt. and it was slightly modified. Dave could have been back in the air within a day or two. Bob stepped in and drug it out for a year. Any other comments should come from Dave, not Bob, who is not Daves legal voice.

Now, you can believe all the crap Bob says and decide I am not representing region 3 fairly. Or you can look at the facts and see I have done a good job for the pilots and sites in our region. I do not spend countless hours insulting and accusing others while doing nothing that a RD is tasked with doing. I spend many hours every week working for the betterment of the USHPA, which benefits all members. There are 3 candidates on the ballot and Bob is not one. Ask yourself why he is so desperate to see me ousted and have someone he recruited replace me. I have nothing against Jerry, don't know him. But if this race is based on merritts, then I suggest hearing from Jerry and not Bob is the best course to take.
By the way Bob, you were asked the "40 questions" about your club well over a year ago, and have not answered one. What are you afraid of?
Bob Kuczewski

Re: the other side

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Members of the SHGA,

It's clear that the gloves are coming off here, so if you're offended by this, then please read another topic. Brad Hall came to this site asking for your votes, and you deserve to know both sides. I'm going to make sure you see both sides of Brad Hall. If that's uncomfortable for you, then please click on another topic with my apologies.

Brad Hall,

Your first sentence includes: "rants", "desperate attempts", and "twisted views". I haven't used that kind of peronal attack against you. Instead I have tried to stick to issues and how you've handled them during your term as Regional Director.

That's what I'm going to do right here. I'm going to answer every issue step by step and by the numbers...

1. You complain that I post to a lot of different sites. That's called communication.

2. You complain that I've sent a lot of messages to the USHPA Board. That's called working for change. That process has accomplished many things for our sports - including having you replaced on the Soaring Council.

3. You complain that I've threatened to sue USHPA. I asked the Executive Committee (EC) to follow the law (and the USHPA SOPs) or I would take the matter up with "the entire USHPA Board, the USHPA Membership, and possibly even the court system" (my exact words). I followed that immediately with "I hope we don't have to go that far". I will not allow the USHPA EC to overstep its bounds and you should not either. I did not "brag" about anything (as you claim), but I am working to clean up an organization that has lost touch with its membership and its purpose.

4. You state the policy that "any aircraft that lands on the State Park beach is subject to a ticket" has been in effect for 3 decades, and then you try to blame me for the recent beach landing restrictions and the point being closed down. I have photographs of that beach strewn with paragliders, and you know they have landed there on a regular basis for years before I ever arrived. You also know that the park rangers have been unhappy with paraglider pilots landing and relaunching from their park (I have NEVER done that). That's why the point was closed down. You discredit yourself by blaming any of that on me.

5. You offer a quote: "far easier to just ban all flying at the State Park than to have to take abuse from this a-h**e." First of all, I'd like to know who said that. I did have a calm discussion with one of the park rangers, but I did not make any "demands" as you state. I did argue that neither hang gliding nor paragliding - if conducted properly - would present any negative impact to the park, but your characterization is far from the truth.

6. You wrote "If they were to follow Bobs example of landing on the beach at every opportunity, it would no doubt piss off a Ranger and ruin the option for everyone else." Brad, you are lying right there to say that I set an example of landing on the beach at every opportunity. I've made hundreds of flights at Torrey (over 100 flying days in my first year alone!) and I've landed on the beach only a small fraction of those times. That is NOT "every opportunity" as you claim, and you're lying right there.

7. You wrote that I intentionally landed a borrowed hang glider on the beach at Torrey. You are lying there again. In my years of flying at Torrey I have only twice landed intentionally. Once was in my paraglider to help a fellow hang glider pilot carry up his glider (this was long ago before I was ever told that there was a beach landing problem). The second time was this past spring when I volunteered to relieve the judge at the north turn point for the air races. One of the Torrey instructors told me to fly to the location of the current judge and tell him he could come back. When I landed, that judge also had his paraglider with him. I doubt that he carried it down there to carry back up!! For you to say that I intentionally borrowed a hang glider with the intention of landing it on the beach is beyond ridiculous Brad. Your claim that I am the "king of beach landing" is similarly ridiculous, and if the lifeguards know me by name, it's only because the concessionaire has probably been blaming me for lots of things that I have not done. By the way, you know that people have been ticketed for beach landings. But I have never - not once - gotten a ticket for landing on the beach. How do you explain that if the lifeguards "know me by name" and I'm the "king of beach landing"? Brad, you're busted right there!!

8. You mentioned that Steve Stackable issued my H-4 rating. That is correct. Do you have a point to make? Are you saying that Steve is issuing ratings that he should not? Or are you saying that Torrey should not be an H4 site? Please clarify what it is you're trying to say so I can address your point.

9. You wrote "This Jebb obsession of Bobs is just that." and you concluded that same paragraph with "Furthermore, the Jebbs have been gone from Torrey for nearly a year." So if that's the case, then why am I still working for reforms at Torrey? Either your second statement is wrong (and the Jebb's are NOT really gone from Torrey), or your first statement is wrong, and this is about fair treatment for all pilots and not about the Jebbs at all. But while either of your statements being true would contradict the other, it is possible that both of your statments are false. It turns out that's the case. You're simply wrong on both counts.

10. You wrote "As Bob has been informed time and again by the USHPA, the Soaring Council and every RD, the issue of his suspension was between him and the concessionaire." Brad, this is not a big point, but I just want to show everyone how you exaggerate. You wrote that "every RD" (meaning every Regional Director) has informed me "time and again" that my suspension was between me and the concessionaire. Would you like to retract or rephrase that? Or would you rather me write to each RD with your quote? I don't know why you think you can just make up statements that are not true, but you really should be more careful in the cases where you can be so easily caught.

11. You wrote about me: "I watched him do all he could to get kicked out and then cry bloody hell when it happened." That is just another lie Brad. It may be my word against yours, but I did not try to do "all that I could to get kicked out". That's just a ridiculous statement and anyone who's flown with me knows that I try to be careful and even polite to others everywhere I fly. If I wanted to get kicked out in a "my word against yours" scenario, there are a hundred ways I could have done that without hiking up from the beach. By the way, since you seem to know so much, exactly why was I kicked out? Can you ask David Jebb to give a reason? You know that's what he refused to do. If he were justified, you know he would have listed my "crimes" with glee. But he had no good reasons and that's why he could not answer.

12. You wrote: "He was offered through the Soaring Council, free of charge, a conflict resolution session by a professional mediator and blew it off with his added demands." Brad, you know that Ed Slater was David Jebb's friend. Ed Slater even said that to me the first day that I met him at Torrey. And yet you, representing USHPA on the Soaring Council, did not object to Jebb's own friend conducting the mediation. Now maybe your memory isn't clear, but I did accept the offer of mediation (even conducted by Jebb's own buddy), but I only requested that it be recorded and witnessed so there would be no question of what was said. Ed and Jebb were welcome to record it as well. That's when Ed Slater withdrew his offer. That "mediation" was going to be a whitewash for Jebb, and that's why he didn't want to have it recorded. You are also wrong to say that I "blew it off" with my added demands. I spent considerable time trying to encourage Ed to conduct an open mediation, but he refused.

13. You wrote: "Dave Beardslee came to me first with his suspension. I wrote up an agreement to get him back into the air quickly. I took it to the Mgt. and it was slightly modified. Dave could have been back in the air within a day or two. Bob stepped in and drug it out for a year. Any other comments should come from Dave, not Bob, who is not Daves legal voice." Brad, you know that you cooked up a gag order with David Jebb against David Beardslee that would have subjected Beardslee to even more severe restrictions if he spoke out in public about the things Jebb had done to him. Furthermore, you seem to have your due process backwards. The list of charges should come BEFORE the sentencing. You and Jebb wanted to skip that part and convict (and sentence) Beardslee without any of the due process that he deserved. You would not even request a written reason from Jebb for Beardslee's suspension. That's disgusting, and as a Regional Director you should have done better for Dave Beardslee. But we may agree on one thing - David Beardslee's opinion should be respected in this matter. Who do you think he supports in this election? Any guesses? I'll tell you. David Beardslee supports Jerry Katz and Rob Sporrer. He does not support you Brad because he knows the truth just as I do. Anyone who doubts that should just ask David Beardslee. If you can't get in touch with Dave Beardslee, try asking Joe Greblo. Joe was kind enough to sit down for an extended conversation with Dave Beardslee, and I think he can tell you who Dave supports (and who he opposes).

14. You wrote: "Now, you can believe all the crap Bob says and decide I am not representing region 3 fairly." Brad, the voters in this Region don't have to "believe" anything that I wrote. It's all facts and I can prove almost everything I've written. I welcome that challenge. My phone number is 858-204-7499. I've been a club member at Sylmar for years now, and I welcome calls from anyone in the club. Please call any time - day or night!

15. You wrote: "Ask yourself why he is so desperate to see me ousted and have someone he recruited replace me."

Brad, anyone who has read your posting above (and included below) will know very clearly why I want to have you ousted. You are bitter, and you are hateful, and you supported David Jebb's abuses at Torrey. You've used (or should I say squandered) your reputation backing David Jebb because he replaced Bill Bennett who you appear to have hated as much as you hate me. You have opposed my efforts to reform Torrey, and you have similarly opposed my efforts to reform the USHPA Board. The most clear example is the Accountability Amendment which would simply state that the USHPA Board will follow Robert's Rules and make our votes public upon the demand of any one Director. The fact that you oppose this simple idea (along with your previous "sneaky" actions listed above) further demonstrate that you are not someone who can be trusted to look out for the members in our Region.

Finally, you said you've got "40 questions" for me. Bring them on. Just be ready to answer a few yourself. I think the Sylmar club can spare one little topic for our debate. Bring it on. One question after another, I look forward to exposing you for what you are. Let's start with question number 1 rignt now. Go ahead and post it.

Bob Kuczewski

Brad Hall wrote:While I generally just ignore Bobs rants and desperate attempts to color anyone that does not agree with his twisted views, this one goes a little too far. I have to laugh while the most prolific poster anywhere calls me a "politician" Bob has his own web site, posts here, on HG.org, the ozreport forum , the SDHGPA forum,and who knows where else. There has to be hundreds of posts. He has emailed the EC of the USHPA to the point that he has been begged to stop. He fills the regional director boardlist almost daily with the s.o.s. to the point that the few that have not put him on their spam filters have all asked him to stop. He will not.
This from a RD that has threatened to bring legal action against the USHPA and has bragged that he is right and the assn. will have to pay for his legal fees to sue them. His actions have been described as despicable by the Pres. of the USHPA. He has called for the ouster of RD's that do not agree with him and the removal of the EC, while offering himself as the replacement candidate. (how is that going for you bob?)

Now to his latest post. Beach Landing:
The policy that has been in effect for over 3 decades, namely any aircraft that lands on the State Park beach is subject to a ticket, has not changed. What has happened is that through a negotiation process with all government entities involved in this issue, an agreement to allow a portion of beach to be coned off for pg students to land on has been reached. This is the very first time the State has agreed to any landings of any kind period. This is a step in the right direction. At no time was I acting as a RD and that was made clear to all from the first meeting. I did have a letter from the SDHGPA, the gliderport mgt., and the ASGSC (sailplanes) to speak on their behalf, along with the other members of the committee, to secure whatever we could for the entire flying community.
A plan was also presented to move ahead on the current airspace restrictions, and it was very well received. It is on hold while the budget and personnel crisis is resolved. This would once again allow HG and PG to fly to the point. The only negative thing that has happened was that Bob, after being asked not to interfere, showed up at the Ranger HQ and started making demands. If not for the good working relationship I had established, we could have lost all we had gained. I was told it would be "far easier to just ban all flying at the State Park than to have to take abuse from this a-h**e." Thanks for your help again Bob. Wonder why you are not asked for more? Is this what you think a RD should do? Have any HG pilots been ticketed for landing in the new zone? No. Would they be? Probably not, but that is up to the Rangers. If they were to follow Bobs example of landing on the beach at every opportunity, it would no doubt piss off a Ranger and ruin the option for everyone else. I watched Bob stand around all day in soarable conditions, only to fly a borrowed hg straight to the beach when the wind had died off. Clearly an intentional move designed to provoke a response. Big surprise, he got one. Bob has been the king of beach landing in his PG. The lifeguards know him by name. When asked not to launch in non soarable conditions, he did it anyway. I think along with a p-4 rating, good judgement is a requirement. This is not what has been demonstrated by Bob at Torrey.

This Jebb obsession of Bobs is just that. I worked on rare occasions with him because he was the manager of the flight park. We had our disagreements, but managed to keep the talks open and friendly. I won a few and lost a few. I would estimate over the 2 years he was at Torrey while I was a RD, we had 6 or fewer meetings of 1/2 hr or less. Bobs allegations are just that. Nothing based on fact. Furthermore, the Jebbs have been gone from Torrey for nearly a year.

The H-3 program that Bob refers to as one that charges is based on "who you know", is the very program Bob used to get his H-4 sign off from Stack. Instructors charge for their time. Always have and it is well deserved. Wonder if Bob got a diver special?

As Bob has been informed time and again by the USHPA, the Soaring Council and every RD, the issue of his suspension was between him and the concessionaire. I watched him do all he could to get kicked out and then cry bloody hell when it happened. He was offered through the Soaring Council, free of charge, a conflict resolution session by a professional mediator and blew it off with his added demands. The Mgt. (Jebb) stated up front he would abide by whatever decision the TPSC came up with. What did Bob have to lose?

Dave Beardslee came to me first with his suspension. I wrote up an agreement to get him back into the air quickly. I took it to the Mgt. and it was slightly modified. Dave could have been back in the air within a day or two. Bob stepped in and drug it out for a year. Any other comments should come from Dave, not Bob, who is not Daves legal voice.

Now, you can believe all the crap Bob says and decide I am not representing region 3 fairly. Or you can look at the facts and see I have done a good job for the pilots and sites in our region. I do not spend countless hours insulting and accusing others while doing nothing that a RD is tasked with doing. I spend many hours every week working for the betterment of the USHPA, which benefits all members. There are 3 candidates on the ballot and Bob is not one. Ask yourself why he is so desperate to see me ousted and have someone he recruited replace me. I have nothing against Jerry, don't know him. But if this race is based on merritts, then I suggest hearing from Jerry and not Bob is the best course to take.
By the way Bob, you were asked the "40 questions" about your club well over a year ago, and have not answered one. What are you afraid of?
greblo

Post by greblo »

delete
Last edited by greblo on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson