How has USHPA been failing hang gliding?

If your topic lands here, you either put it here yourself or one of the moderators thought it likely too polarizing a subject to stay in the General Discussion area
Joe Faust

Post by Joe Faust »

Maybe the answer is really with an answer of "No ways; she has not been failing hang gliding in any way."
Maybe the answer will be: "Some minor ways, but the whole flow is acceptable."
Maybe the answer will turn out to be: "Some significant ways and the flow is unacceptable."
Other permutations are possible.

This topic thread is open to examining the title question. And arguments to support an opinion are welcome. And posters are welcome to suggest actions that may match the scene argued. Tell about solutions if a failing is identified; what might one suggest should be done next for a better hang gliding scene in the U. S. ?

==========================================================================
Last edited by Joe Faust on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Kuczewski

USHPA IS FAILING.

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

USHPA has failed the sport of hang gliding in many ways.

1. Why don't members get a voting record of the Directors?

2. Why don't members have a forum to communicate with their Directors and each other?

3. Why is there no Hang Gliding committee where hang gliding concerns might be addressed?

4. Why does USHPA allow hang gliding to be severely under-represented at historic and important sites like Torrey Pines?

5. Why does USHPA refuse to deal with problems until they end up in court?

6. Why doesn't USHPA have a whistle blower protection SOP to protect those who speak up about problems?

7. Why does USHPA expel people without giving them a right to representation or the right to present witnesses or the right to face one's accusers?

I'm typing on a tiny Android phone so I'll stop there for now.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

This post belongs in politics of flying, not in this forum.
Joe Faust

Post by Joe Faust »

Davis Straub, in response to the topic question also asked a question:
Davis Straub on August 24, 2015 wrote:Why would we ask our insurance company to save the sport?
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I renewed my membership on August 12th and selected Division "hang gliding" and yet I do not see any division on any of the downloadable financial reports. Also notice they set my termination date on Halloween.

Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Since insurance is close to the heart of this topic, it might help to put yourslf in the shoes of the people investing their real money into insuring our sports.

Imagine that you've recently invested - and lost - some of your own money insuring flight operations. Which of the following letters is more likely to keep you on board?

Dear Investor,
USHPA recognizes that the recent claims in our industry exceed predictions by a significant margin. To reverse this trend we are changing our policies to encourage early reporting of problems before they become claims. We have established a whistle blower protection policy to ensure pilots that they can report problems without fear of retaliation. We have also taken steps to ensure independent oversight of our flight operations and have appointed some of our stongest critics to key oversight positions at high claim sites. We are confident that these steps will ensure safer flight operations and will reduce future claims.

- or -

Dear Investor,
USHPA recognizes that recent claims in our industry exceed predictions by a significant margin. But don't worry because we've taken serious steps to silence anyone who speaks out about unsafe practices. By expelling past whistle blowers we are confident that we can keep each of our 10,000 members from ever testifying in court again. We've also taken the additional steps of public humiliation to ensure that none of our 10,000 members will want to be subjected to such future treatment. We are confident that these steps will make it difficult for future injured parties to obtain the expert testimony needed to prevail in court. Please accept these steps as proof that USHPA is serious about reducing future losses.

Which letter makes you feel that your money is wisely invested in our sports?
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.