Nearly Disaterous Launch & Landing

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
JD

Nearly Disaterous Launch & Landing

Post by JD »

This just happened to a pilot I know up in NorCal. I felt it was worth presenting here as a cautionary tale.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBYH1LomlLc[/youtube]
http://sonomawingsbb.yuku.com/reply/130 ... eply-13086
Don

Greblo Advice

Post by Don »

This reminds me of the advice Joe was giving to his students at Garlock on Saturday (9/3/11). Because the wind was coming in at 5-12mph why not start your run lower down so that you get away from the hill sooner.

Of course Joe explained it better (and longer :wink: ) but you get the idea.

I followed his advice but I would like to think that I would have made the same decision without him explaining the reason. At times I'm just not sure I'm that good! Thanks Joe!
JD

Re: Greblo Advice

Post by JD »

Don wrote:....Of course Joe explained it better (and longer :wink: ) but you get the idea....
Greblo is a font of safety wisdom. I'm glad Ernie made his video public so that others may learn and benefit.
JBBenson

Re: Greblo Advice

Post by JBBenson »

Don wrote:This reminds me of the advice Joe was giving to his students at Garlock on Saturday (9/3/11). Because the wind was coming in at 5-12mph why not start your run lower down so that you get away from the hill sooner.
Then again, depending on his mood, or who he was talking to, he might also suggest this:

"Since the conditions are so light, let's try starting your launch run further back, and practice flying the glider off of your shoulders without taking off. That's also a good skill to have, and this looks like a good opportunity to practice......"

And you know what? Joe would be right in either case.......that's the thing about Joe.