Partial Sight Loss In-Flight?

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
JD

Partial Sight Loss In-Flight?

Post by JD »

On Monday, about ten minutes into my flight I started seeing lightening flashes and black zig-zags in my right eye. At first I feared a detached retina and headed for the LZ, thinking I needed to get to the E/R, thus blowing what could have been a more interesting flight. I quickly realized it was some lessor condition and turned around and tried to stay aloft long enough for the psychedelic light show to calm down. It was distracting enough to try flying with but landing was going to be tricky. It calmed down somewhat and I ran out of lift down low and landed, flaring several feet too high.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTq7S1QcJBA[/youtube]

While I was driving home across L.A. during MLK Day rush hour, I called my wife and asked her to search the web for my symptoms. She called me back and the article pretty much had it nailed. Posterior Vitreous Detachment. Excellent article here.. I went to my local urgent care facility from my HMO that evening but there was no ophthalmologist available and got a referral.

I made sure to see one within 24 hours of the incident on the odd chance there was some incidental damage to my retina. The doctor did a very thorough inspection and could see all the various crud that was still floating around. She advised me not to do anything for the next two weeks that might jolt my head and to get a proper eye exam every year and noted this on my chart.

I thought I would mention this since many of us are also near-sighted and middle aged or beyond like your author. If anything like what's described in the article happens to you, please have a thorough eye exam ASAP. Even though the odds are slim, it would be a real shame to lose part of your sight permanently.
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

Symptoms like that could also be Temporal Arteritis, a staunching of blood flow to the retina. Also very bad. Go straight to an emergency room.

The migraine aura is similar to what you describe. It is also bad but not vision threatening.

I second the recommended eye exam, but I would do it before you have symptoms. I get an comprehensive eye exam every two years.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

i have, and have had (for years), very similar symptoms whenever i am dehydrated and in bright noon-day type of sunlight. it's creepy, psychedelic, and definitely related to migraines insofar as, whenever it happens, i just want it to be dark and to close my eyes. watch your liquids, minerals, and salts?
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Taking a vitamin especially for the eyes may help.
I take Energ-eyes from whitewinglabs.com A friend on mine works for them.

It has anti-oxidents, Grape seed extract, Lutein, Bilberry-which ww2 bomber pilots used to help see in the dark, etc

http://www.whitewing.com/jour6019/j6019p13.html

http://www.whitewing.com/body.html
on the bottom of that page
Jim

Post by Jim »

...yes and during WWII, to obscure the development of radar from the Germans, the Allies perpetuated the rumour that eating massive quantities of carrots allowed soldiers scanning the skies to see in the dark. English mothers fed their children the vegetable until there were reports of orange- skinned tykes running about...