Blown launch #2, Van Noppen

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
vannoppen

Blown launch #2, Van Noppen

Post by vannoppen »

After not waiting to hear my beautiful nose wire woman tell me she was clear of my wires after I said clear I ran her over like a freight train. I wasn't watching her to make sure she was clear and started my run before she was. As my glider radically spun to the right I saw Nancy careen downhill backwards, headfirst and knew I had made a grave error. Fortunately she is a resilient woman. I side slipped a short distance I could right the glider as I have a couple of times in the past but my time was up. In a stall it started turning in the wrong direction, back into the hill. It was sort of like a mini wingover and I stuffed the bar and rolled my body just before impact. Im not sure it was an intentional stuff or subconscious. If it wasn't for the x large bush I dove into I would be at the very least seriously hurt. I escaped with minor scratches and will let you know how sore I am tomorrow. Thanks to all on launch who helped me shake it off and fold my broken wings. Presently I know off two downtubes and the keel. I hope that is it but would not be surprised to see more damage. In hind sight I thought of not flying a few time as I did not use or instruct my wire people to verbally give me the info I normally want and just figured once I said clear that meant I was good to go . I also left my radio at home charging,left my phone at my gallery the night before and then left my keys on the ground with the lock by the glider storage. Minor events but not in the normal regiment of pre flight details. Against suggestions I told my wife about the incident where she proceeded to tell me that for fathers day she wants to buy me a new harness. I told her how much that might run and that a new harness would require a new chute. She then said that maybe we would combine it with my birthday, she's awesome. To be continued, OWENS, who has a glider I can barrow
gregangsten

Getting Clear

Post by gregangsten »

How many times is this going to happen? A week ago I was holding wires for a not-to-be-named ex club president and he started running before I said "clear" and I barely missed his wire.

It doesn't need to be so complicated. Pilot says "Clear!", then the wire man says "Clear" once he is. THEN the pilot runs. Don't move until you hear you are clear.
vannoppen

clear

Post by vannoppen »

hopefully no more for me and Nancy and anyone else for that matter
Steve90266

clearing wires

Post by Steve90266 »

Ladies and Gents,

Unfortunately this seems to be turning into a weekly thing. As Safety Officer, I'm trying to think of something clever or inspirational to say to get pilots to stop running over their wire men. Nothing comes to mind.

Please, please, please, be aware of your wire men.

Wire men, once the pilot calls for a clear of the wires, make an aggressive move out of the way. Assume that the guy is going to try and run you down.

Heads up, everybody! Sheez!
Steve Murillo
Fast Eddy

Re: Blown launch #2, Van Noppen

Post by Fast Eddy »

[quote="vannoppen"]After not waiting to hear my beautiful nose wire woman tell me she was clear of my wires after I said clear I ran her over like a freight train.

My Question is WHY have a Nose Person on ANY glider at ALL???

I spent TWO years on the east coast as a Flight instrctor. WHERE cliff launches and ramps did not allow ""NOSE WIRE"" crews!!!! WE all had Keel launch assists. The keel person did the same thing as the NOSE only in reverse.
FUNNY Thing is NO one ever gets run over. The Keel person can easily lower the nose by pushing UP. Pull the person BACK onto the launch if getting sucked OFF the ramp. And to top it off. They are on Even Ground and never loos there footing....
I have been launching students by myself at launch for sometime by Yawing the glider as a wing lifts etc. Even aborted Take offs of One or Two steps I am still on the top "Flat Ground. Able to Grab the rear wires.

Think about it. With two flying wing wire people it is super easy. By yourself it is safer and you are always there in case something goes wrong!~!

Fast Eddy