Failure to hook in

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
BudRob

Failure to hook in

Post by BudRob »

Yesterday I launched unhooked from the Kagel launch. I fared much better than the glider did with only a bruised left hand and wrist. I don't think anything is broken but I might get an x-ray if the swelling and bruising gets worse. The glider, although repairable, is trashed with a broken leading edge and keel along with lots of other smaller damage. I consider it "spare parts" for the new one I ordered a few hours after its demise.

My routine is to hook in before going to launch and then check my hook in by turning around and looking at it or asking a wire person to check for me. In this case I didn't do either one; my head was thinking beyond launch, taking it completely for granted. Bottom line is that no flight should be treated as "routine" and that a hook in check of some sort should be taken seriously each and every time you fly. Complacency is the root cause of this accident and I only hope that others will learn from my expensive lesson.
Steve90266

Failure to hook in

Post by Steve90266 »

Rob, first off, very glad you are OK.

Secondly, thanks for posting this. This highlights the fact that a failure to hook in can happen to ANY ONE OF US, if we do not consciously perform that task each and every time.

Personally, I vow to re-double my efforts and make sure I perform a "Hook In!" check each and every time, no matter the circumstances.

Again, glad you are OK. See you at the Pool Party!
Steve Murillo
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

Wow, sounds familiar. Stoked you're okay man!
JD

Post by JD »

My camera was off when i saw the incident as I was just starting to cross from the end of the ridge to Trash. This is all I could get from 200' below launch as I crossed.

Xander

Post by Xander »

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that the glider is trashed, but really glad you came out of it without too much harm. Hook in, knucklehead. :)
gregangsten

hook in

Post by gregangsten »

Wow, you are beating yourself up lately. Very sorry about the glider but we all know how much worse it could have been.

Even though it just starts an argument, I'm going to say it anyway. Hook the harness in in setup and then check it in preflight. Then NEVER unhook from the glider with your harness on. It won't prevent forgetting leg loops but it will prevent this.
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

I'm glad you made it out relatively unscathed, Rob.

Definitely a sobering reminder to take no part of your launch routine for granted.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I know it says "Hook In" right at launch, but maybe we need it in braille too.

Glad you're alright.
Flyyyyy
vannoppen

Post by vannoppen »

Damn Rob. Glad you weren't launching at Glacier point .did your glider hit the bush that saved my ass? I guess this means I can come to your poOl party early as I have commitments later that day. Glad your still with us so we can watch those stellar landings.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

Glad you ok Rob. Could you share more details what happened after you realize that you unhooked? Just let it go and fell or did you steer into the hill side?
skydizzy.blogspot.com
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

In a strong wind launch, my (frowned upon) technique is to leap into the air on the second step while pushing out. I call this my "superman" launch and I have done it my whole flying career when the wind is above 15-20. In this case the glider just pulled itself out of my hands as I pushed out and I fell back onto the ramp before reaching the end. The pulling away from me was so strong that there was no doubt what the issue was a no decision to make. I fell back to earth before the end of the ramp and the loose dirt provided a soft impact that caused no additional damage to my still healing left foot. However my forward motion took me over the edge and I went over head first. This is where I sustained the injury to my left hand and wrist, which although still swollen, is much improved this morning. There are marks on my helmet and I also found a slight bruise on my right thigh. Otherwise the only additional injuries were to my pride and my bank account.

I was concerned about where the hell the glider was (maybe still flying?) so I stood up and looked around right away, but saw nothing. I had to be shown where the glider ended up. I only wish I could have seen it plow in. It seems to me that I deserved that much satisfaction for the entertainment that I provided. But no, I didn't get to see it; and surprisingly even Jonathon has no video to show me...
JD

Post by JD »

BudRob wrote:....and surprisingly even Jonathon has no video to show me...
Yes that makes me very sad. Had I left the camera to record stills while struggling at the end of the ridge I would have surely caught your glider in free flight. What I saw from a 1/4 mile away was Rob having a great launch with his glider immediately climbing out. Then I saw Rob make this magnificent swoop back at the hillside with his glider's shadow rapidly approaching the glider. Then I shuddered as I saw Rob and his glider pile in below the PG ramp and then turtle. I then assumed it had actually been another blown launch from the reconfigured ramp and the glider was really in a mush the whole time.

I didn't learn until five minutes later (from Jim) what had happened. It's funny how things appear one way and then you watch the video and find out it was nothing like your memory told you.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Rob,
I am glad you are O.K.
It is my belief you were saved from perishment, as well as many others in the past, by San Cupertino Patron Saint of Flight that inhabits Mount Kagel.
- an example from my X-files:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpmpI180kUQ (deactivated)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2O8WmVlOUk (works 8/28/13)
Levitation Time Sequences
1:05:47
1:14:34
1:22:08
1:40:47 (test lifting capability)

Doug
Last edited by dhmartens on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I'm glad you are ok Rob. Sorry about the glider. (But happy that it was the glider and not you that got trashed.)

Be carefull out there, and look out for your friends.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Mike Blankenhorn

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

dhmartens wrote: It is my belief you were saved from perishment, as well as many others in the past, by San Cupertino Patron Saint of Flight that inhabits Mount Kagel.
This is obviously the only logical explanation, well done Doug!
Oh yeah, and well done Rob for not dying on us!
:D
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn