Drogue use in the LZ

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
OP

Drogue use in the LZ

Post by OP »

JD

Re: Drogue use in the LZ

Post by JD »

Why is this posted under 'Safety and Incidents in flight'?

Regardless, here is what a large and stable drag chute will deliver and more...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPrLTBrmcgE[/youtube]
OP

Post by OP »

As internet peeps have been mining our incident sub for their glory, i'm going to be polluting it with all my posts until chip makes it subscribeable only.

We've had, what, 2 fatalities over the past 25 years. That's gotta be less than any dirt bike track or a surf spot. Yet we've got your boy Tad E. combing our posts. He likes to call out our fallen as "Stupid assholes whom had it coming" and issuing fatwas against greblo and kells.

When NeonJ hurt his neck, it seemed the entire .org celebrated with glee. "Ha ha, motherfucker you had it coming" was the tone of many posts. I for one don't like this attitude. It's not helpful to anyone. Weird anti-social behavior, I would call it.

Sometimes sailplane pilots fly without their spar pins in place. Does the rest of the community celebrate with "die motherfucker?" Do they call the FAA and try to have their sport banned? Talk to Joe Faust, and Tad E.
JD

Post by JD »

OP wrote:As internet peeps have been mining our incident sub for their glory, i'm going to be polluting it with all my posts until chip makes it subscribeable only.

We've had, what, 2 fatalities over the past 25 years. That's gotta be less than any dirt bike track or a surf spot. Yet we've got your boy Tad E. combing our posts. He likes to call out our fallen as "Stupid assholes whom had it coming" and issuing fatwas against greblo and kells.

When NeonJ hurt his neck, it seemed the entire .org celebrated with glee. "Ha ha, motherfucker you had it coming" was the tone of many posts. I for one don't like this attitude. It's not helpful to anyone. Weird anti-social behavior, I would call it.

Sometimes sailplane pilots fly without their spar pins in place. Does the rest of the community celebrate with "die motherfucker?" Do they call the FAA and try to have their sport banned? Talk to Joe Faust, and Tad E.
OP,

You raise a valid point in that public ostracism and hazing seem to worsen the safety of the sports of HG and PG. Let's not forget we are also a PG club and PG risk management requirements often differ from HG requirements.

Given the chance, (if elected Safety Officer) I try to foster an environment within the club that facilitates confidential accident, incident and risk management issue communication via a neutral party. We can make our club an example for others to follow in the domain of maximizing safe soaring in otherwise crowded geographical and aviation spaces. If having a club members' only section of the forum facilitates this then I will propose it to the board (assuming we have the bbs resources).

I really don't know how the world of online communication actually influences the SHGA as a club or its pilots as individuals. It's my feeling that this is a people club that also flies and is driven mainly by face to face contact or live phone conversations. Somewhere in all the various means of communication is our path to:

Maximize our airtime while minimizing our downtime.

JD
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Restricting access to the pilot forum

Post by Ken Andrews »

I confess I don’t see a compelling reason to restrict access to the pilot forum. My general belief is that if something isn’t suitable for the world at large to read, then it’s probably better not to post it on a forum in the first place, whatever the access policy. One reason is simply pragmatic: an interesting secret shared among 149 people (our current membership) isn’t likely to stay secret for long. Another is philosophical: I prefer a free and open environment, where everyone is welcome to read and learn and contribute, instead of a compartmentalized one, where some people are included and others are excluded. If something sensitive just has to be said, then there are plenty of more controlled ways of doing so, such as email, or a face-to-face conversation.

As OP notes, there are trolls out there who search for material on the pilot forum to use against the SHGA, or against hang gliding. Let them; so long as we’re running a good organization, we can withstand the scrutiny. Curiously, my experience over the years has been that the ones most determined to stir up trouble for the SHGA are members themselves. A pilot forum with access restricted to SHGA members wouldn’t keep those folks out. Well, I suppose their access could “accidentally� be disabled, but we’d have to keep that a secret.
hcmom

Post by hcmom »

I have a picture of OP's blatant drouge use, but I don't seem to be able to make it post as an image, just a link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cd79ifno2vtb9n/IMG_7657.JPG
mario

Post by mario »

Thank you OP for bringing up this safety issue. I commend you for it - admission is the first step. I know that I am not the only one that has worried about you (and others) as you fly high and low with your drogue of choice. Now we have others that are flaunting drogue use - including on this open forum! Last weekend I was surprised to find you peddling the use of drogues all around the LZ and also learning of other drogue users in our club. I have to admit that I was tempted by your stories of how your "legit" drogue was safe and that it allowed you to fly high with confidence knowing that you could come down safely and easily whenever and wherever you wanted to. Before I knew it, I saw my future as a drogue addict flash before me!!!
I know that there is enough policing in our free flight community and that it is only for recreational use, but maybe you can be less public about it in the future? Next thing you know, there will be drogue testing before we can even fly off the mountain.
Last edited by mario on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kzadar

Post by kzadar »

Yes Mario, as ashamed as I am, I must admit that I was a Drogue user. However that was many years ago. The first step is admitting to yourself that you have a Drogue problem. (Often when you find yourself on final and realize you are much higher than anticipated) You may try to deny this. Your friends will just laugh it off as they watch you walk up the ramp after landing short. If left un-treated your Drogue problem can ruin your life. There is hope! I found a supportive group and have now been in my 12-step program for many years. My Drogue problems are literally behind me. I go to meetings every weekend and we practice the 12-step principles (wings level, nose trim, 12 steps!). The worst thing we can do is to ignore our friends Drogue problems. They need a supportive environment to rid them of their Drogue habits. (A big grassy LZ is a great start) - Kzadar
Lawn Dart #2
OP

Post by OP »

ND's drogue use photo:

Thanks for the photo. Depth of field makes it pop.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

What is the new polar curve with a drogue?

If there has been one fatality using a drogue then maybe a $5 release switch should be looked into.

The drogue is cheaper and lighter than a $2 billion elastic wing.
Image[/url]