Glider tumbles behind Kagel

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
greblo

Glider tumbles behind Kagel

Post by greblo »

Phil Bloom flew into some unusual air yesterday and received the somewhat rare distinction of flipping upside down in his glider. On a strong n/e-s/w convergence day, pilots were getting up to 10-12,000 ft and were excited about some good distance potential. After flying the back range he worked his way up over the back side of Mt Gleason and got tumbled (nose pitched under) while he was in relative straight flight. After what seemed like a long canopy ride down, he landed softly, partially in a tree near the top of Gleason just 100 ft. from the road where he was picked up by driver Paul. The glider was pretty much a total loss, w/ broken keel, leading edge. xbar half and sail torn at the root from nose to tail. Other than the expense of it all, Phill came out of it quite lucky with what appeared to be one tiny scratch on his shin (he was wearing shorts). His LARA Gold canopy seemed to work well on a hot day at the high altitudes above Mt. Gleason.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

PHILL,

I'm glad you are ok. Good job throwing the chute. Sorry about your glider, though. I hope it all works out for you.

By the way, where were your sprogs set? Inquiring minds want to know!
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
SHGA Communications

Post by SHGA Communications »

Oz Report thread here, with Chip's report:
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7745

I was one of the 3 pilots (Ron Wiener, Sebastian Lutges, and me) flying with Phill on Tuesday and was quite surprised to see a glider under canopy considering the conditions we were experiencing. The day was certainly living up to expectations given the BlipMap and BlipSpot predictions.

The day started off with a NE wind while we were in the LZ loading, up the wind switched onshore, indicating to us that the convergence was certainly setting up as predicted by our local RASP (Regional Atmospheric Soaring Prediction). At launch the wind was nice and steady from the S, no gusts or weirdness.

Lift was strong but not violent or sharp, right off launch we got 1000'/min up with surges of 1100 to 1400 at times, slowly drifting NE. After climbing through 10k we were all on the radio deciding on a direction (Phill indicated on launch that his PTT was not working but he could monitor). In short order we were headed NE (downwind) toward the largest mountain on the back range (Mt Gleason). Glides toward Gleason were reasonable and not all that fast (generally around 38mph, as we were still feeling out the day). Our day was just getting started, on glide we climbed through 11k and stopped briefly halfway to Gleason topping off at 12k, up high we were seeing a N and sometimes NNE wind. I was flying with only my vario, GPS was in my side pocket but recording, so all I had to go off of was feeling and intuition. As we pushed on it became apparent that we were plowing into a headwind approaching Gleason. Gleason is 5.5k. The group stops here in search mode, nothing is really paying off, there's ratty thermals and I find one around 8k, but it seems to be drifting more than climbing. I see Phill just behind me, higher, (9.5k) and turning. Thinking my thermal will meet up with his I stay in the thermal. As I looked to see Phills progress, I can't believe what I'm seeing. At first, I have no idea who it is, it's just too strange to see this. A glider with a nice army green canopy floating down. The glider looks in good shape but the control frame is not. The glider is pointed straight down, the pilot is higher than the glider with the parachute above him. It's then I see the color of the glider, it's Phill. My heart just about stops. We're just west of the peak of Mt. Gleason. Although there are good roads up there, just over the back it's major wilderness.

Right away, Ron Wiener starts getting retrieval lined up as we all monitor Phill's progress as he descends. On the way down Phill actually gets the glider upright and slows the descent. But that's short lived and the glider again points straight down. The glider is stable, not spinning just dangling from the parachute. Phill gets the glider uprighted once more before impact. Luckily he lands only about 100' from a good dirt road, but now we wait for some comms. While we wait, Ron, Sebas, and I start talking about landing options and if we should attempt to top land or just get into Agua Dulce to assist the driver. Our driver is on the way but the radio chatter is non stop at this point, then Phill comes up on frequency saying he's OK and no injuries.

At this point our thoughts turn to climbing and orbiting until we can steer the driver to a good access road. I find a good climb @ 6.7k that starts out 400'/min and turns on the higher we go eventually topping out @ 10.5k. As we all were climbing the logistics continue until we're sure Phill and driver are in communication. Luckily there's good phone reception so that helps get things together.

The rest of us decide to get back to the front range and try the front route since we ran into the headwind going NE. On the way there we connect back up to the convergence and quickly climb through 13k with climb rates approaching 1400'/min. Still the lift, although strong, doesn't feel like it's violent, but I know I'm now carrying extra speed while thermalling.

I have track logs of all pilots (except Sebas, but I'll get it). Phill's
Last edited by SHGA Communications on Thu May 10, 2007 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
SHGA Communications

Post by SHGA Communications »

track log doesn't show a tuck, tumble or anything unusual except maybe he was flying a bit slow (slightly above stall). But at the time we were all in search mode.

I'm happy Phill's OK, I think the day was a bit expensive for him, but he's still with us and is in good spirits. Another pilot that was flying but not with us put it a good way

Vrezh:The LZ became a CSI site, where after hot debates and analysis we decided to move further discussions to the Thai Place and celebrate Phil's second Birthday.

What a day!
Jeff Chipman
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

I know where that $2500 prize money is going! Bummer...

Glad you are OK Phill 8)

I'll be practicing my chute deployment and getting it repacked.

We can never be too vigilant :!: