Safety personnas (Sharks)

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
Frederick

Safety personnas (Sharks)

Post by Frederick »

FYI

I kind of try to require for myself a shark-like approach to safety matters: I once heard that sharks will turn away from any prey that fights back. That's most effective for their survival. But funny, because they're so powerful.

I work at grooming a shark personna in myself to use for the safety matters. It gets top authority. All the other parts of me -- including my very-important heart -- rank lower. My heart's on-board with this (after spending enough time "talking" it all out), feeling that it is counting on that shark part of me to get us all (the parts) through to future days. And it knows that the shark part is the most capable for those things, and trusts/hopes in that.

In dangerous clutch situations, I want it to be reflex that all the other parts of me shut up and instantly support the lead of the shark side.

If I'm getting embarrassing, belittling, or otherwise unpleasant advice from someone I don't like, if the shark side of me suspects any chance of useful info in it, I want all the other sides of me to subordinate. They can grumble internally -- and I encourage that -- but must support. Kind of like taking unpleasant medicine.

I think sometimes I kind of try to tell my heart "lets be even-tougher, like a shark" when it wants to "we don't have to listen to this shit!"

I feel like it needs a constant vigilence from me. I'm even reluctant in how I write about this, not wanting it to move to a "I've figured this part out". Else I'd move my attention on to other things.

I feel we're very very fragile. 80% water, very weak necks. And that life is very precious. It seems nice to be "in the game", even with days that hurt like hell. Chances at love, at discovery, at feeling the moments one at a time. And somehow it feels like all of this needs a vigilent protection. We put our lives in others hands hundreds of times a day: oncomming traffic.

Take good care of yourselves, and best wishes with organizing the parts of yourself. I hope things go well for us.
Frederick

Neurology

Post by Frederick »

I'm interested in understanding human perception, and methods needed to counteract deficiencies and keep up safe flying. I notice that it's a neurological requirement that we lose awareness of things once we've been around them awhile: else we'd have all our attention absorbed by the first round of things and not have capacity left for new ones. (Imagine: if your awareness stayed up with smells, you'd be smelling the scent of your own facial skin and unable to be aware of new smells that are out there too.)

So, it seems that the natural pattern is to lose awareness as familiarity increases. If I've launched a glider from that place a bunch of times....

There could be techniques for counteracting natural tendencies, to get better performance.

In Harold and Maude, he said "All these little daisies are the same". She said, "No they're not. Look more closely and you'll see each one is different than the next."
Last edited by Frederick on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stebbins

Re: Neurology

Post by stebbins »

Freddy wrote:......
In Harold and Maude, he said "All these little daisies are the same". She said, "No they're not. Look more closely and you'll see each one is different than the next."
In The Life of Brian, Brian said to the crowd "You are all individuals. You are all different." The crowd repeated this in unison: "We are all individuals. We are all different." One lone individual said "I'm not!" The only different one said he wasn't. Too funny.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George