Kagel 1/3/2006

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Christian

Kagel 1/3/2006

Post by Christian »

First flight of the new year. Bright crisp day but Greblo advised the noon truck that the ground was wet, so low thermals would be weak but likely stronger higher up.

On launch there were small clouds overhead and over Locals. They grew and dispersed rapidly. Wind was S 5-8 and temps in mid 60s. Very pretty, but what's in store? Our heroic wind dummy headed straight out a while, didnt find anything.

I launched second, determined to get back over launch or die trying. Caught some lift just beyond the ramp and wanted to circle but decided to alter flight plan and not die quite so soon -- and with an audience. Passed low over ridge and once again was unable to circle. Slipped down the ridge to third bowl and there was the house thermal. This was luck, as it was only there sporadically this day.

Got up and cruised back up the ridge. Just made launch and got in a turn. 100 over the thermal organized, and it was an easy ride to 4100. Overhead was a small cloud, sucking at 500 on the vario. Headed for Trash, maintained there for a few dozen turns, then back. Ridge was working again. At 4,000 saw Big Mike over at Locals and headed his way. But the clouds we had seen were gone now, and it wsn;t looking good over there.

Got halfway back up the ridgeline but not quite to launch. I was sure it was still happening there but I had gotten low and couldnt get back. All of us were too low. Maintained in the third bowl a while, then headed to the LZ. Everybody had a half hour or so, and it was glorious.

What Greblo said: Get up and stay up. Not a day for Wanderlust today. Welcome 2006!
Don

Sounds Like A Great Time !

Post by Don »

Sounds like a great time and a fun flight ! Wish I had been there - hold it! I was !