Half way to Canyon Country

A place to stretch the truth a little...
BJ Strand

Half way to Canyon Country

Post by BJ Strand »

Well, I didn't officially fly with the Falcon League, but I did have my very first land out from Kagel yesterday. It was my first flight from Kagel since July 19, 2008 (unbelievable, huh?). And first cross country from Kagel! Ever since I began flying in 2006, I've had one goal: make it to Canyon Country. Well, yesterday I attempted it. Didn't quite make it.

On the road up in Joe Greblo's truck, I started talking about how it was my desire to make it there, and just casually asked Joe what the process was in case someone needed a retreive from leaving the area. He gave me the phone number for the Sylmar LZ and said to also raise other pilots on the radio. I promptly entered the number into my cell phone.

Well I launched and struggled around third bowl for awhile. Eventually I got high enough to head for Locals and Towers. Once there I kept climbing to a maximum of 5,300 ft, and then started flying toward the 2200. I thought I could find more lift down aways. Well, I started falling out of the sky. Ends up I was fighting a headwind; should have paid more attention to that.

After heading down the ridge, I got so low and so far away from the LZ, that I was going to have to land out. No choice about it (it felt like I was 100 ft from the top of the mountain). I looked to my left towards the San Fernando valley, and I just didn't feel good about it, but when I looked to the right towards canyon country, I could see what looked like a grasssy knoll of a hill that I could attempt to land on. It's almost undescribable the feeling when you decide to leave the farm, I just don't have the words for it. Needlessly to say, it was an exhilirating split second when I decided to head into unfamilar territory. I was really hoping to find some more lift on the way to my hill, and maybe make it all the way to Sand Canyon. I kept saying a short prayer in my head all the way down, "Just a 1,000 more feet, just a 1,000 more feet. Oh please, just a lousy 1,000!" No dice.

I came at the hill just like it was explained to me, pulled in and let out, flying up hill, to make a fly on the wall landing. I whacked, but no damage done to me or the glider, thankfully.

Now the real adventure began: how to get home? I tried raising some pilots on the radio, but it seemed like no one could hear me, although I could hear them sporadically. I determined my location on the GPS, and I was just the North side of Placerita Canyon. I whipped out my phone and it showed low battery. Just after I looked at the phone number for the LZ, the phone died. I kept saying the number over and over again in my head so I wouldn't forget it.

The hill I landed on had tall pieces of reeds that look like grass from the air. They were 1/2 inch thick and were difficult to walk in. They made folding up the glider a challenge. It took me longer than usual. I left the glider there because it would be safe, grabbed my flight gear and headed down the hill. Across the road and up a little was a nature trail with several cars, and thank heavens, cause because no one was picking me up as I stuck my thumb up for passing cars. Ran into some teenagers who had just finished the nature walk. I explained my situation and begged to use their cell phone; no reception in the canyon. Now I begged for a ride out of there where I could get a phone call off. Amazingly, there was only 3 of them, so I fit just fine in their 4 seater Honda. They decided to drop me off at the closest McDonald's which was off of Via Princessa.

I tried the phone number for the LZ, and got the recorded message that the number was no longer in service. Tried again with 362 instead of 372 and the call worked! Talked to someone who put Joe Greblo on and he said he was off to get me. Well, next door to McDonald's was a Foster's Freeze, so I treated myself to a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup twister ice cream. Joe was there quicker than expected with Tommy in Tommy's car. I love GPS, cause there was no way I could find that glider again without it. Joe and I tramped up the hill and carried the glider down.

Awesome flight. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face all night, in fact I think I woke up with it still plastered on. After thinking about it some more, I shouldn't have let myself get so low and close to the mountains, and to far away from a decent LZ. Oliveview Hospital might have been a better choice for landing, and my obsession with Canyon Country probably hurt my judgment. And I definitely should have taken better care to determine wind direction from the air.

Anyway, I'm chalking the healthy outcome of my adventure to blessings from above; some of you will claim it was just luck, and a very, very small percentage of you will say it was my incredible piloting skills. Either way, here's the coordinates of where I landed: N 34 22'44.4 W 118 26'25.9
Don

An Adventure

Post by Don »

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Superior flying/landing skills - I don't think so :o
JD

Re: Half way to Canyon Country

Post by JD »

BJ Strand wrote:...........I tried the phone number..........again with 362 instead of 372 and the call worked! Talked to someone who put Joe Greblo on...........
BJ,
That was me who took the call. No one seemed particularly motivated to answer the ringing phone so I thought I'd do my duty and take care of the solicitor and by golly, it was a pilot who'd flown a little X-C and needed a ride back. Very entertaining story, B.J. Next time, please consider joining us in the next League Event.

Don - You crack me up!

I hope the flying at Lukens/Sylmar was good today.

Cheers, Jonathan
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Congrats on your first XC adventure BJ .Sound's like you had a lot of fun I'm glad every thing worked out for you and that you landed safely Thanks to your superior piloting skills . 8)
Don

BJ's LZ

Post by Don »

We need to start calling this spot "BJ's LZ" :o

But before you start celebrating you may want to talk to Malury. He has TWO spots named after him - one behind Trash and another around Black Hawk. :?

Having a LZ named after you is like a lot of the Pilot nicknames - not something to be proud of - think "Powerline Mike", "Lawndart", or one of the nicknames Janice almost got stuck with.

Enjoy your fame. :roll:
rebardan

way to go

Post by rebardan »

way to go man! better half way to somewhere than all the way to nowhere! congratulations on leaving the nest.
bricksfly

Post by bricksfly »

Nice write up BJ as usual... I was pretty excited for you when I was at the LZ the day after your mini XC... Even though you didn't make goal I knew you would have a huge grin on your face for quite a while. Sorry I missed it. You have talked about going out every single time I have flown with you! Next time you will read the conditions and go when it really suits you! Congrats anyway! Pretty cool!
Bill