Video of Flying from Towers to Lukens & More

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

Video of Flying from Towers to Lukens & More

Post by JD »

I had my hands full last Thursday, trying to get from Towers and go as far East as possible. Chip, BudRob, Ronaldo and Vrezh all left 10-minutes ahead of me while I screwed with my damaged headset connectors. So I had my own flight without radio or anyone to mark lift for me past Kagel. It was my most challenging flight to date and I ran out of video memory just as I arrived at Lukens. There was so much activity during the long slog out to Lukens that I still got a good 33-minute edit with lots of choice narration. I included my animated 3D track of the flight back to Towers launch and out to West Towers then back to the Beehives before I petered out after 3 hours in the air.

EDIT - This video is now available as a single 33-minute high res video on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/5255118
Last edited by JD on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

sounded like you were really struggling on this flight Jonathan.but you done good . can't wait to see part 2. :)
JD

Post by JD »

OSCAR wrote:sounded like you were really struggling on this flight Jonathan.but you done good . can't wait to see part 2. :)
Part 2 goes up tonight but I did a short animated audio vignette from when I couldn't get down. You'll find it here: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11018
JD

Post by JD »

EDIT - This video is now available as a single 33-minute high res video on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/5255118
Last edited by JD on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

That was cool how fast you went up .800'fpm WoW :!: :D I wonder how fast the other pilot was climbing :?: (the one out climbing you).
JD

Post by JD »

OSCAR wrote:That was cool how fast you went up .800'fpm WoW :!: :D I wonder how fast the other pilot was climbing :?: (the one out climbing you).
Other pilots in the LZ were reporting as much as 1500FPM up or down. But that was momentary climb/sink. My averager maxed out at 900 up but it was brief. I hit a bigger one near the end of part 3.

Last edited by JD on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Fantastic Jonathan. Good job. So entertaining. Where's part 4?
JD

Post by JD »

Wayne wrote:Fantastic Jonathan. Good job. So entertaining. Where's part 4?
Part 4 goes up overnight tonight. Verizon still hasn't changed the settings on my DSL modem to allow better upload speeds. These take me 4-6 hours to upload until the switch.
Chip
Site Admin

Need to improve your search mode

Post by Chip »

Clearly with the glide you get from the T2 you need to consider enlarging your search pattern. Fully 45 minutes into the flight (your time comment), you're just a mile from where you launched.

Trash "normally" works much better than you gave it time to do. Instead you chose to hang out over Kagel launch. I would have either stayed at or over trash, searched out in front of trash (you could see the clouds working out front) or moved to the third bowl where you eventually hooked into a good one that took you skyward. The volcano and locals work equally as well.

On your glide, 35mph won't cut it when trying to move through areas of big sink, full VG and a speed above 39 would be more like it. Typically on days like that we're moving to Big T at speeds above 45. With 5.5k you'll need to "spend some cash" as Andy Pryciak would say.

I like the video's, I do learn some things, just won't go into them here. :wink:
JD

Re: Need to improve your search mode

Post by JD »

Chip wrote:Clearly.................:wink:

"As clear as an unmuddied lake, Sir. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me, Sir.� --Alex De Large, Clockwork Orange
chadness

nice video but the beginning of it looks familiar ;)

Post by chadness »

Hi Jonathan,

you have come long way with the videos - super impressive. The video, the audio, the processing - all very cool. I remember when you joined SHGA and you and I kicked out a few vids. Since then the reins are all yours - I haven't done a video in long time.

In both we show a virtual introduction to where Sylmar is. I think its a nice start for videos, but realistically, probably any of the viewer already knows this;). But one can hope...

Mine from a long time ago at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siLG6d-PBFo

Cheers,
Chad
JD

Why I do this

Post by JD »

chadness wrote:............I haven't done a video in long time.

In both we show a virtual introduction to where Sylmar is. I think its a nice start for videos, but realistically, probably any of the viewer already knows this;). But one can hope...
Hey Chad,
I've hardly seen or heard from you in a long time. I hope things are going well and look forward to flying with you soon. At least now I have equipment that gives me half a chance of keeping it with you. I haven't forgotten your inspiring video. As you can see, I have moved in a new direction and am doing what has not been adequately done in the past.

As far as the short GE intro goes, most of my viewers will never set foot in Los Angeles and have no clue where Towers Launch is and haven't had the pleasure of viewing you fine video o flying to Oat Mtn. I chose to leave the entire flight track visible so people can see how far a hang glider can fly in relation to the size of the city. I don't know whether that worked or not.

I still need to upload part 4. The non-stop 33-minute version should be hosted in full resolution by the USHPA on their Vimeo site fairly soon. I have been working very hard to raise awareness of what it's really like to fly. Thanks to my video of flying from Lukens to Sylmar on my Falcon 3 195, I was offered to write a 1500-word essay about our Falcon X-C league for the USHPA magazine. They will also be hosting my similar video of soaring from the Eliminator in SB to Lake Casitas in Ojai.

The amount of time and energy that goes into producing one of these epic videos is fairly intense. The dangers involved in narrating while working a camera and thermalling close to terrain cannot be understated.
I sincerely hope that nobody tries to emulate what I doing and have an accident in the process. It is extremely distracting to be doing this in flight.

In the meantime I intend to continue this pursuit and bring it to new levels of intimacy and outreach. It is what I had envisioned when I returned to the sport after 26-years away. All of what I have been doing has been drawing positive attention to both the sport and to Sylmar as a viable flying site. Several members of the Crestline club have already made multiple trips here and people from other parts of the country and even around the globe have contacted me with interest if flying at Sylmar.

I don't do physically laborious projects for the club due to an incurable illness, which also stopped me from all aerobic or strenuous activity. This is my contribution instead.

Cheers,

Jonathan
noack

Post by noack »

I wonder how many people are anxiously and patiently waiting for part 4 :P

Thanx for all your effort.

Matt
JD

Post by JD »

noack wrote:I wonder how many people are anxiously and patiently waiting for part 4 :P ................
Matt,

You're welcome and I'm glad to know that you're enjoying it and along for the long haul. Here is the thrilling conclusion:

Cheers, Jonathan
Last edited by JD on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
max

Post by max »

Good job Jonathan but you should watch your language you're using the F. word quite often don't forget new pilot watching the video I rather have you using the Ozzy accent and what is this every time it gets interesting you run out of memory do you try to hide your landings or you need a loan for a bigger memory :wink: .... as for chip I wish more of you old-timers would share some of the flying xc secrets, maybe only then I might have some chance ,I said maybe.
Smile now Cry later
MAX
JD

Post by JD »

max wrote:Good job Jonathan but you should watch your language you're using the F. word.............and what is this every time it gets interesting you run out of memory do you try to hide your landings or you need a loan for a bigger memory :wink: .........
The F word in part 4 slipped by my censors and I noticed it for the first time this morning. :oops:
In this day and age, the F word has scant meaning compared to when you and I were growing up. I have previously been chastised for muting the sound when I curse, so obviously I can't please everyone. Let's face it Max. When getting tossed around in rowdy air, people will say all manner of things out loud. Normally, they don't record it and play it back online. I've no desire to hide my true feelings about my personal experience of flying, so the cursing will remain intact within reason.

The parts I do edit out are in reference to other individuals. Unless I do a followup interview to get their side of the story, I will try to avoid one-sided commentary. These are the places the lines are drawn on the sands of my beach.

I now have 16GB memory cards that exceed my battery life and will give me about 2 hours of total video recording. I try to keep a spare camera on board as well so I can swap cameras.

I did record the full stereo audio of my cross wind belly landing. Would you like to hear it in all its crunchy glory? Regardless, I will post that soon.
max

Post by max »

Jonathan I want to hear it and see it, come on put some effort into it, and as for the F. words don't worry about me is the video police what you should be concerned about it is a subdivision of Homeland security and if they find out they suspend your video license and since you're the only one who is providing some entertainment on this forum it would be a tragedy to lose you, but if some F. words slip your tongue again I am body with the video police chief for a small fee I could get you out of the slammer :lol: keep up the good work
Smile now Cry later
MAX
Christian

Post by Christian »

I have been working very hard to raise awareness of what it's really like to fly.

Exctly, and you're doing a great job.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Max said :Good job Jonathan but you should watch your language you're using the F. word quite often don't forget new pilot watching the video I rather have you using the Ozzy accent and what is this every time it gets interesting you run out of memory do you try to hide your landings or you need a loan for a bigger memory Wink .
Yea when you use the F-word Jonathan use the accent :lol: :lol: :lol:and that was a great video 1-4 enjoyed them all :!:
JD

Post by JD »

OSCAR wrote:..............Yea when you use the F-word Jonathan use the accent :lol: :lol: :lol:and that was a great video 1-4 enjoyed them all :!:
Ha Ha Ha. For my next project I'll do a narrated 90-minute flight at Dockweiller. :lol:
"It's now 48 minutes into my flight and I have now done 179 figure-8s. Watching the same mounds of sand beneath me over and over is making me loco. I can hear the crunching of grit on my teeth from the blowing sand. My eyes are beginning to itch and burn. Just 165 more figure-8s and I'll reach my goal..........."