Video of Landing a T2 @ The Beehives yesterday

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

Video of Landing a T2 @ The Beehives yesterday

Post by JD »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOrotOnFptA[/youtube]

~8MPH downwind/uphill landing w/ drogue chute after coming back from Little T at 2,385'. 8MPH SE crossing/tail wind and landing at 1,588' on my T2 144. Later we see where Ken A. landed his Litespeed in Big T Wash after being carried by a broad area of ground level lift. Two reminders about why drogue chutes are worth considering if going XC.
JD

Post by JD »

Here's a better perspective of landing at Beehives on a Falcon
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usSBdtLU0c4#t=3m46s[/youtube]
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

That looked like a scary place to land with all those rocks around you'd be lucky not to stub your toe or twist your ankle.Love your videos Jonathan Keep em coming. 8)
JD

Post by JD »

OSCAR wrote:That looked like a scary place to land with all those rocks around you'd be lucky not to stub your toe or twist your ankle.Love your videos Jonathan Keep em coming. 8)
Thanks, Oscar. When I went to retrieve Ken I was amazed at all those rocks and boulders at the far South end of the Big T Wash. Ken did an awesome job of making a safe landing on his Litespeed in no wind over all those big rocks. It was at least 1/4 mile farther South than we normally do apparently due to thermals coming off the deck. This also illustrates why I always fly my T2 with a drogue chute if I think there is any chance that I will land out.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Ya- good idea ,In those conditions it would really help to spoil your glide :)
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

It was neat to see your glide degrade when you deployed the drogue.

At least, that's what I think I saw.....
JD

Post by JD »

JBBenson wrote:It was neat to see your glide degrade when you deployed the drogue...............
It did degrade considerably, especially after pulling on a little speed. Closer to stall speed it does very little. For flying XC I recommend them highly, along with some good instruction prior to using.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I couldn't agree more with Jonathan on this one.

Get one. Get instruction. And then practice a few times in a "safe" environment. Then use it occasionally (every third or fourth landing?) to keep in practice.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George