TREE LANDING ON A FALKON

A place to stretch the truth a little...
max

TREE LANDING ON A FALKON

Post by max »

Nice tree landing there is more talk about it on the oz report.
http://vimeo.com/4837379
Smile now Cry later
MAX
DigitalBishop

Post by DigitalBishop »

I saw this on the Oz Report. To be honest this upset me a bit. The pilot could have been seriously hurt if this went in a bad way. I'm not really sure what to think. Good for him on a successful ditch? Or bad for him for taking off and not having a bailout LZ in the plan just in case? Was the launch site a well known and sanctioned site to be launched from?

I watched his other videos and one shows him launching when fog was rolling in. Clearly not a safe environment. I commend him for the courage to put both videos up as I'd take them as to what not to do. What would he have done if the fog had obscured the LZ? Also his oscillations on the landing looked like they could have turned dangerous.

To me it's just not worth the risk to simply get a sled ride in. Abort a launch, fly another day. Everything went against the training I've received so far (is it bad for me to have a strong opinion on this when I'm so green?).

I'm curious as to what opinions and analysis other more experienced pilots have of this situation.
Jamie Krasnoo
JD

Post by JD »

Specks wrote:.............I'm curious as to what opinions and analysis other more experienced pilots have of this situation.
For starters, he was flying with no parachute! This was not his first tree landing either. I know who to contact to help with this situation.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Specks wrote:I saw this on the Oz Report. To be honest this upset me a bit. The pilot could have been seriously hurt if this went in a bad way. I'm not really sure what to think. Good for him on a successful ditch? Or bad for him for taking off and not having a bailout LZ in the plan just in case? Was the launch site a well known and sanctioned site to be launched from?

I watched his other videos and one shows him launching when fog was rolling in. Clearly not a safe environment. I commend him for the courage to put both videos up as I'd take them as to what not to do. What would he have done if the fog had obscured the LZ? Also his oscillations on the landing looked like they could have turned dangerous.

To me it's just not worth the risk to simply get a sled ride in. Abort a launch, fly another day. Everything went against the training I've received so far (is it bad for me to have a strong opinion on this when I'm so green?).

I'm curious as to what opinions and analysis other more experienced pilots have of this situation.
As of the moment that I made this post, not one pilot on the OZ Report thought that the tree-landing pilot had made a good choice. Most were overwhelmingly negative about his choices.

Hang glider pilots seldom agree on much, as we all know here. ;-)

Those two facts alone should say something about the videotaped flight, and the pilot involved.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I have to say that pilot had a lapse in good judgment :roll: not only for the flight But also for posting it for all the world to see :roll: , this makes us all look bad :oops: and makes the sport look more dangerous than it is if he had to deploy his chute he didn't have one :o how would that have looked to the officials .that's the kind of behavior that gets flight parks shut down and more restrictive regulations added to the books all it takes is one person to see it and complain to the officials.
max

Post by max »

Smile now Cry later
MAX
JD

Post by JD »

And this classic on a topless: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5a4AXjVyoc[/youtube]