Flight 2/23/06

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Don

Flight 2/23/06

Post by Don »

I'm not sure this day truely meets the definition of "Amazing Flights" but it my best. Joe Greblo was predicting 7,000 MSL so I finally broke free of my various other obligations and headed up the mountain. I had not flown since early January and had not had anything much more than a sled ride since mid-Dec.

Besides myself, Richard "Windsock" Shaw and four H-4s took to the sky. I launched first at 2:20 with several pilots lined up ready to go behind me. I immediately caught a thermo over the first bowl. By the time the next pilot started running down the launch ramp I was 1,000+ over launch with some moments of 800' up. Several of the H-4s headed SE while I and Richard stayed closer to home.

My maximum altitude was 6,657' (3,104 above launch) over Trash. I believe one of the H-4s got nearly identical heights in the same general vicinity. Temps (per my 5030) read as low as 51 degrees. I finally called it quits due to tired neck muscles - not because of lack of lift. Air time was nearly 2:20.
©hris

Post by ©hris »

Nice work Don - Personal best are always very exciting. Keep up the good work.
jsc1959

Post by jsc1959 »

Awesome Don! Wish I was there with ya.

Jeff
mbbarnes

Post by mbbarnes »

Damnit, Why can't we fly like that out here in TN. OH yeah, it's cold here!!! You have got me counting my days till I come fly with yall again, hopefully in May.
Christian

Post by Christian »

Go Don. You exceeded my total 2006 hours in one flight. Given our winter season so far, truly was an amazing day.