Personal Best

A place to stretch the truth a little...
©hris

Personal Best

Post by ©hris »

A few weeks ago at the New South Wales State Titles in Manilla I set my personal best for distance 104 miles (the task was 168km) and I flew it in 3:40 minutes. When I left on final glide for goal I climbed in a convergence line about 2000ft in the first 10 miles. My final glide flying over 50mph was around 25 miles and I ended up at goal with plenty of altitude.

Just before I left on final I was at cloubbase (7000ft+) and when I pulled out in front of the cloud I hit the converging air. This convergence took me up above cloubbase, next to the cloud, about 1000ft. I was NEXT TO a towering cumulus cloud about 1000ft up!!! I knew I was not "ridge soaring the cloud" because I was downwind of it. It was surreal!!! I wanted to get my camera out but all I could do was look on in amazement. This did nothing to help my time into goal but who cares.

I was an amazing flight for me but it has caused a little problem - all flights less than 100 miles will not count for anything, hehehe.

150 miles or bust.

I am ready to do some fun spring xc flying. Garlock, Owens, Blackhawk, or MINGUS.