Sunday Feb 26, 2006

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Chip
Site Admin

Sunday Feb 26, 2006

Post by Chip »

Bouyant and boaty would be the way I described today. Although launch conditions were a bit "breezy" (18 - 25, sometimes gusting 28 ), once you were off the mountain it was a cake walk running up and down the ridge. Multiple runs between West Towers and Lances with a few to little T. Most of my time was spent at 4300', with long flat glides that seemed to not lose any altitude. I think I had a 2.5 hour flight (GPS died about 2 hours in).

I spent the day on the new WW Talon 2 (T2), thanks to Joe Greblo and WW. The glider was much like the one I flew in Texas during the Big Spring meet. This one seemed a bit more racey but not difficult to handle. Because of the conditions I spent most of the day at full VG and had no issue keeping the glider going straight. I rarely left off the VG except for the rough air in places. I was a little surprised how little rope there was compared to my Talon. Ususally when I'm full VG in a regular Talon there's a lot of rope out. Not on the T2, there isn't nearly the amount of pull required on the VG to get to full on.

The glider seemed to want to wrap in on the steep banks but for the most part I like or feel comfortable high-siding anyways so it was mostly OK.

Didn't really get to fly with any other topless gliders today as most of the "hot" pilots opted out. Oh well maybe next time.