Crestline to Elizabeth Lake on a Sport 2 155

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

Crestline to Elizabeth Lake on a Sport 2 155

Post by JD »

Photos: http://imageevent.com/aero92/20090827
Banter: http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/forum/20090828/2541

That's smoke from the Morris Fire off to my left.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

WTF .your varios gone crazy :o .Great pictures Jonathan . 8) .
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Hey Jonathan - way to go!

Are you as far N of the mountains as you look in the picture?

(I looked at the sky from my home in Palmdale that day and said it looked good.)
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
JD

Post by JD »

stebbins wrote:Hey Jonathan - way to go!

Are you as far N of the mountains as you look in the picture?

(I looked at the sky from my home in Palmdale that day and said it looked good.)
Thanks, George. You were correct. I was mostly away from the North side of the mountains. There was no lift to speak of along the slopes but there was at the base and in the valleys. I did catch one really good climb over the transmitter towers at the Ave S flying site. Note to stay away from Palmdale Airport during the fire operations. I was over 10K as I passed but there was a lot of airtanker and spotter activity in and out and I beat a hasty path past it. They don't seem to fly by the same rules as regular commercial air traffic.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Yea, I was just curious. I've never been at AJ when it's been good enough to go that route, so I wondered if you went deep, shallow or out front. I looked at the track after my previous post, and it looked like you did go in a bit, but came out a lot too.

Nice job.

As for the air tankers, they pretty much ignore the patterns, from my observation (or maybe they have their own.) They are fighting fires and saving lives, so I suspect that their (correct) attitude is: "Get the bleep out of my way, I'm the fire fighter. And if you don't, you are in the wrong, no matter what happens." Can't say as I blame them. :-)

Again, good job. I'm really tired of this not flying stuff. Hopefully, I'll be back soon.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George