Part 2 - Litespeed S's sure do glide far - especially when..

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Don

Part 2 - Litespeed S's sure do glide far - especially when..

Post by Don »

Decided to try Crestline again to see if I could land in the AJ LZ. :?

Got the 11AM McBus to Crestline. Wind was switching from slight blowing up to slight blowing down. Our own Jonathon launched first about 1PM in essentially zero wind. :o He worked the lift and headed East. The winds remained switchy and sporatically pilots launched - each one required long runs to get airborne. I seriously considered getting a ride down to the LZ :( - if I was flying a Falcon it would have been OK but a Litespeed - I wanted wind. Finally about 3PM the winds became reasonably predictable - blowing in at 0 to 8 mph. I was second from last to launch. It was ~ 5 mph and I was airborne half way down the ramp.

I worked the lift near Billboard then headed East - getting as far as the High School (a personal best but nothing really to brag about) I topped out around 8K. I turned West and after topping off a few times I crossed to Pine and ventured further to try to establish a personal best going West. I was getting down to about 6K 2+ miles West of Pine and decided to venture a little further - I thought there might be a thermal just a head. Sure enough I caught one that brought me to 8,600'. :D This would be the last thermal of the day. I continued West towards the last peak before crossing the I-15. I found myself in a convergence. :D By the time I made my turn-around I was at 9,300' and still climbing (I know, I know - I should have continued on) and the temp was 57 degrees. Wearing only a T-Shirt - I was getting cold. By the time I flew the nearly 6 miles back to Pine I was at 10,100'. I stayed on glide past Regionals, Cloud, Marshall, and East Peak. I finally turned 12.4 miles from my most Western point and my elevation was now 7,200' - thats 12.4 miles with only 2,100' net loss of altitude. I then continued doing gigantic S turns never really finding any more thermals. I was airborne 1 hour, 6 minutes without thermalling.

Litespeed S's sure do glide far - especially when you are in a convergence! :o

The only other SHGA pilot was Lauren Mack - Lauren said he got to ~14K+' about 8 - 10 miles East of launch.

The last I heard of Jonathon was that he landed at the Big Bear airport.

Oh and my landing? A nice "moon-walking" touch down in the middle of the AJ LZ. :D :D :D
JD

YAY!

Post by JD »

Don, Glad to hear you had a great flight in your ex-Mike Litespeed. Another fun write-up too!

Be glad you didn't attempt launching when I did. I ran most of the way down that 45 degree, 150' long ramp. After standing on the launch ramp for 50 minutes in 90+ degree heat while dressed for 12K I finally felt a proper thermal and launched right into it and climbed to 11K in as many minutes. By the time I reached Strawberry Peak I broke 15K while sweat dampened and freezing then headed for San Gorgonio which I tagged after breaking 15K again. I headed West from Gorgonio until I got back above 15K and went North across Big Bear Lake with the intent of tagging Blackhawk, Ord, Cajon, Crestline, and then landing at AJX. I was a few hundred feet too low once I past Big Bear airport and was unable to safely bench up on the ridge to the North and set down safely in the dry portion of Baldwin Lake along Hwy 18. I finally got home around midnight. Good thing you didn't carpool with me. :lol:
Tracklog here: http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/273007