First Extended Solo FLight

A place to stretch the truth a little...
addicted2climbing

First Extended Solo FLight

Post by addicted2climbing »

Hey All,

So I finaly got to fly for an extended time on Saturday. There were 3 students and 1 person under observation that Andy had to get though before the launch window closed so we all ended up launching pretty much one after the other with a few inbetween. He allowed all of us to try and prolong our flights by turning back towards the ridge to work the upslope lift. I was second off and was able to fly as long as I could until Andy called me back in to land. It got a bit Hectic trying to not be in the way of the other gliders thermaling on the edge of the ridge, but all went well. Anyhow, I was grinning ear to ear the entire flight and finaly got enough time in my glider to get familiar with it. I am still all over the place in pitch when circling tight, but I am sure all that will change with more time. Landing was a direct cross from the left and I was aware enough to cut my base leg short, but still managed to drift while on final and landed about 15 feet left of center on my knees since once again I did not transfer my left hand from the base tube in time since I use it to pull in harder to get more speed. Hopefully that will work itself out with more time too.

Needless to say I am so hooked now. I wish it were not winter as it makes lesson planning a bit tough with spotty conditions, but hopefully I will be on my own by next summer when I can fly every weekend. Looks like my climbing gear will be gathering dust from here on out.

Now I just need to buy a vario, a radio and study for the radio test. Anyone have a radio they recomend. I'd like one that is not as large as the ones we use in training. Andy has some small ones and I have seen others as well. Anyone have a radio for sale?

Marc
Don

Welcome

Post by Don »

Welcome to the flying world.

As for a radio - most have a VX 150. Not sure they are still made - you can check with Greblo or check on-line. I don't see many for sale - they last forever.
DigitalBishop

Post by DigitalBishop »

Check Ham Radio Outlet in Burbank to see if they have any more (VX 150). They're great radios.
Jamie Krasnoo
OSCAR

Yaesu VX-150 Radio

Post by OSCAR »

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAESU-VX-150-VHF-TX ... -Handheld-
If the link won't work hit (home page)and in the middle of the home page left hand side click on Yeasu VX-150 $100.00 there is pictures of the radio It's what I use.
Malury

Post by Malury »

Welcome to the ridge, a common habitat for me. My radio is the Vertex 150. It is virtually the same as a Yaesu, sometimes cheaper, just as good.
Ham Radio Outlet in Burbank is a fine vendor. Go with a licensed friend as they will ask for your call sign.