Destination: Distant Snow - Perseverance Pays Off - A Video

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

Destination: Distant Snow - Perseverance Pays Off - A Video

Post by JD »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAFCh7vFCHw[/youtube]
Or: http://vimeo.com/8999459

Sunday's 10-mile flight from Kagel to La Crescenta, CA and climbing out over Mt. Lukens w/ Greg Kendall to enjoy the spectacular view of the snow-capped San Gabriel Mountains. A visual tale of perseverance and patience. January 24, 2010. Wills Wing T2C 144 w/ GoPro HD camera mounted on the wing.
Last edited by JD on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

WOW... The more I see your videos the more I cant wait to get to the point where I can go XC as well. All in good time...I have a heck of a summer to look forward to.

Great job,

Marc
JD

Post by JD »

addicted2climbing wrote:WOW... The more I see your videos the more I cant wait to get to the point where I can go XC as well. All in good time...I have a heck of a summer to look forward to.

Great job,

Marc
Marc, You can start by landing at the base of Pacoima Dam and then graduate to landing at the Beehives. It's easy to reach the Beehives on a Falcon but before you try either bailout LZ I suggest you speak with your instructor. Hook up with Adam and any other aspiring XC pilot and bug Greblo to set up an RLF clinic. Now is the time of year to do this while the mid-day turbulence is lighter than Summer.

Another good reason for doing out landings is that it attracts local residents to try the sport. You can do outreach and work onn your skills at the same time.

IMHO - 90% of XC flyiing consists of the confidence and ability to safely land some place you've never been or seen and in weather you may not expect. It's best to get there in gradual steps under the auspices of a knowledgable mentor/instructor. And it's well worth it too.

Watch Andy Been landing at Kagel. He often pretends that he's never been there and is doing an RLF landing.
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

I'd love to practice now but I only have a handfull of Solo's of Kagel at the moment. I dont foresee myself doing any XC until I am a seasoned hang 3 pilot. I think this spring and summer will go to just being comfortabl with my falcon and getting to H3 if possible.

When the time comes I very much look forward to it. I have a few XC flights in a sailplane, but was lucky enough to not have to land out anywhere. Always managed to make it back to Cal City with possible options along the way, but then a again XC in a Blanik is not all that far. But I flew to the grapevine and back once which is not too shabby in a glider that shares a similar glide ratio at speed to a Ford Mustang dropped out of a plane... :lol:

I am sure I will have quite a bit more options in an HG with 20' wings rather then having to find a place large enough to set down a plane with a 53' wingspan...
abinder

Post by abinder »

addicted2climbing wrote:...I have a few XC flights in a sailplane,...
Cool. I've always wanted to get rated to fly one of those.

Allen
max

Post by max »

Very nice Jonathan I also enjoyed the photos you made in the hang gliding magazine the are awesome :o . Are you planning to change your career :?:
Smile now Cry later
MAX
JD

Post by JD »

max wrote:Very nice Jonathan I also enjoyed the photos you made in the hang gliding magazine the are awesome :o . Are you planning to change your career :?:
First I have to actually do some work before I can change careers. :lol: I haven't been home today to check the mail so I haven't seen which Sierra photos Nick chose to print. I'm assuming that's what you're fererring to. Here's an album of the images he chose from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9091313@N0 ... 490739646/
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

Wow nice video makes me want to get back out there.