Kagel to Marshall Canyon Golf Course in LaVerne

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

Kagel to Marshall Canyon Golf Course in LaVerne

Post by JD »

XC Season unofficially kicked off today. The plan was for me and Ronaldo to fly from Kagel to Crestline. The forecast models looked good. Things looked great on launch and pilots were getting pretty high while we were setting up. Due to the time it takes me to rig my camera, etc., Ronaldo got off ahead of me around 1:25 PM and promptly disappeared. Naturally I assumed he was in the sun 1,000' over my head. I got everything setup and walked to launch with our driver, Danny DuBois (Dana Tew's brother) and called Ronaldo on radio while I was trying to peek up past my nose plate. He reports back that he's somewhere around 1,900'. MSL and not above launch! :roll: So I look down and everyone is getting flushed except Loren Meck who's doing very well in his Sport 2 155 out over the wash.

So, the hang waiting begins and the sweat begins to form. After about 15 minutes gliders are making their way back up along the third bowl and then 4 ravens start coring a thermal from the second bowl drifting toward launch. The thermal hits the launch ramp causing the wind to swirl and as soon as it steadies I run hard down the ramp. Instant gratification! :D

I start slowly climbing out over Kagel and Lauren comes over and joins me. After topping out around 4,800' at Trash I decide to get the show on the road and beeline for Little T. I arrive at a moderate altitude and work my way along the spine below ridge height. I work the second spine from the end and here comes Loren! We work together for the next 15 minutes and eventually the lift gets organized and away we go. I cut out for Lukens at a little over 6K and Loren stays behind and tops out at 7K.

Later, we hook up again at Middle Lukens and eventually top out around 8K. During this time Danny stopped at the homestead and mercifully was able to inspire Dana to help with chase navigation and radio duty. What a sweet sound over the radio to hear Dana's voice when I was making the decision whether to push East. Ronaldo, I later learned safely landed at the island LZ.

I eventually got to Mt Wilson a few hundred feet below the towers.

In spite of the 8 mph SW wind aloft there wasn't really any ridge lift. I pushed out low to Mt Harvard at 4.5K and pulled up next to the transmitter where a thermal was beginning to coalesce. It was nip and tuck for a while as I tried to work it without tagging the tower with a wingtip. Well, it turned on and I topped out at 8.5K for the top of the day.

Dana and Danny were on the 210 in chase mode. At this height I was prepared to fly back to Sylmar and complete my first out and return to Wilson. But I had a chase crew and the desire to land at Andy Jackson. So on I went! From there on I was essentially on an extended, 18-mile glide to LaVerne. There were several nerve wracking periods where I crossed the San Gabriel River with just enough to reach the peak on the other side at ridge level. I gain a few hundred on the East side and headed out front toward San Dimas.

I arrived below the ridge that runs above San Dimas and scratched my way back up a few hundred feet. There are three golf courses in a 3-mile stretch from San Dimas to LaVerne. Judging by the air and my sense of glide angle I decided to push as far East as I could go and still land safely. So begins the white knuckle glide to Marshall Canyon Golf Course. I arrived at the West end about 250' AGL and after sizing up the wind and the fairways I deploy my trusty drogue chute.

From there it was a few quick S-turns and some close maneuvering close to the trees for maximum glide out room as I pulled in and dove for the deck.

I landed downwind and flared as hard as I could coming down vertically and dropping the bar not too hard after I touched down.

I scurried off toward the tree line to stay on good terms with my new hosts. One of the club staff came by to see if I was o.k. and assured me the clubhouse had beer. :P I called Dana and gave her my location then schlepped my gear over toward the clubhouse and relaxed with my pal, Sam. Adams, that is, and a Frozen Snickers Bar. Ah, heavenly it was after 2 hours, 10 minutes of work and suspense. As I broke down I called the LZ and Loren picked up the Bat Phone. He reported getting back to Kagel at 7K and couldn't get down! 8) So he headed for West Towers where he got drilled all the way back to the LZ. :o

Danny and Dana stopped for directions and were directed to the San Dimas Golf Course and called we wondering where I was. :lol: Eventually I got them sorted and they arrived while I was till breaking down. Can you believe nearly every golfer who came by asked me, "Did you crash land?" :roll: :roll:

At least one gal who asked me where I launched from gave me a nice, "Holy Sh*t!" when I told her. That made my day! Video to follow in the next week or so.
JD

Post by JD »

I'd like add that Loren did a remarkable job of thermalling today, consistently out-climbing me most of the time. Here's a good frame grab from high above Lukens........

JD

Post by JD »

OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Jonathan wrote:Can you believe nearly every golfer who came by asked me, "Did you crash land?"

Seeee.... your reputation precedes you :P :P :lol: No....seriously Great job buddy. :D :D
JD

Duplicate Flights

Post by JD »

Today, the plan was for me, Cutter and Seabass to fly East w/ Danny DuBois driving chase. Cutter was right there with me at Trash as I climbed to 4500 and headed East but for reasons unknown, held back. There was an excellent thermal at the end of Lances that gave me a nice boost to glide straight to Big T where it was also going off nicely. So, I got to Middle Lukens while Seabass was still working the Third Bowl at Kagel. I topped off at 7800 over the Lukens towers and the thermal petered out so I made a beeline across Angeles Crest Hwy for Brown Mountain. The air across the gap was buoyant and I arrived over Brown in good position. I headed for the bowl in front of Mt. Wilson and the air was garbage even though it was blowing in at 8-10 mph. Go figure?

I headed towards the stubby transmitter tower at Mt Harvard and couldn't get in close before I sank a few hundred feet below in in the worst air of the day. Just then Seabass calls me on the radio and I'm rather tense and start shouting over the mic. My bad! I went to the bowl out front of Harvard and a series of bubbles were breaking loose and I was able to do some swooping turns that were half in and half out of the cores. A couple of technicians were doing maintenance on the steep spine below the transmitted and with each turn I'd swoop in like some giant hawk. I finally got enough control to wave and yell "Howdy!" and they waved back.

A few more turns and I was over the transmitter tower and the themral finally formed a smooth wide column which carried me to 6800'. I called back to Seabass to warn him of the bad air downrange as he was approaching 8000' over Lukens. He decided to head back to Sylmar as I committed to try and best yesterday's flight to LaVerne. It was a lot of scratching with no good lift all the way to the San Gabriel River. I crossed at the dam and prepared to make a bailout at the dam if necessary.

Luckily, Glendora Mtn was working somewhat but all this scratching ate seriously into the usable part of the day. I headed toward San Dimas and gave our driver, Danny a report that he should head for San Dimas Golf Course since I didn't think I'd safely get any farther than that. Even though I was in exactly the same spot I glided to LaVerne yesterday, there was too much sink to make the 16:1 glide even with the 10 mph tailwind

I headed out over the San Dimas Canyon Golf Course and just boated around and relaxed until it was time to set up my approach. The fountains made it easy to read the wind and I picked a fairway with no activity to set down 2 hours, 20 minutes after launch. I can't post a kmz file here but it's fun to look at both flight tracks together in Google Earth. I posted it to hangglding.org if any members of that forum wants to look at it. http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph ... 795#169795

I recorded today's flight in dual camera video but the right camera battery died about 10 minutes before I landed.

Here's a nice view from over Lukens and a shot of San Dimas Cyn Golf

Eventually I'll get Tuesday's and Wednesday's videos edited.

Cheers, JD