A New Narrated 38-Mile XC Video - 2/17/2010

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

A New Narrated 38-Mile XC Video - 2/17/2010

Post by JD »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24eSebkwFnk[/youtube]
Full 1470 x 960 HD version: http://vimeo.com/9694635

I hope you all enjoy the 190 degree wide angle of view and don't mind my slightly raspy narration. This is a 38-mile flight from Kagel Mountain in Sylmar, CA to the San Dimas Canyon Golf Course on February 17, 2010. The day after I flew nearly the identical course to the Marshal Canyon Golf Course. This video employs dual wide angle keel cameras for an immersive experience. I did my best to line up the two cameras and keep the black center line to a minimum. There's nothing I can do about the double image in the center without spending large amounts of time and money on video stitching software. Personally, I like the effect but my wife dislikes it. I will try running three cameras on the keel for a single center image and two side images that will yield a 280 degree wide angle of view. Right now I'm working on a training video for Windsports Soaring Center. Track logs available here.

Enjoy! Jonathan
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

The narration sounds Great :!: the video's were very informative a nice peak inside the mind of a seasoned XC Mountain pilot and well done Shepseleh :wink: :)
greblo

Post by greblo »

Jonathan,
I found this video extremely interesting, both in the visuals and the narration.

I'm very fond of the course you flew and it's great that others can see how it's done. Great Job.

Joe
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
JD

Post by JD »

Oscar, Joe,

Glad you both enjoyed it. I plan to keep working on my narration skills. I believe the future of hang gliding video lies more in physical story telling (narration) and less in bells and whistles. The current generation cameras are more than good enough if used effectively. I like to think of the TV show, The Wonder Years w/ Daniel Stern's superb voice-over narration. Also the cable TV show, Burn Notice relies very heavily on the lead character's excellent narration and succeeds, I believe, in large part due to it's effectiveness. Let's see how well I can pull it off when I take my multitude of hours of XC flight video from the past year that I have never edited or presented.

Cheers, Jonathan
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Have you got any video heading west of Kagel :?: maybe you could show us the landmarks. 8)
JD

Post by JD »

OSCAR wrote:Have you got any video heading west of Kagel :?: maybe you could show us the landmarks. 8)
I do but I'm not sure where the footage is. I'm going to be learning some new editing software which will set me back time wise. For now I suggest you print out a Google Maps terrain map of the Towers ridge and review it with BudRob in the LZ. Mark it up with all the names and routes. Then I can use that as a guide for a narrated aerial tour.
max

Post by max »

Nice video and narration Jonathan I see you are improving,keep up the good work so I can learn from you.
Smile now Cry later
MAX