Landing at kagel 03/05/2010

A place to stretch the truth a little...
OSCAR

Landing at kagel 03/05/2010

Post by OSCAR »

Last Fridays landing.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsdZtuNu_SU[/youtube]New and improved camera angle :D :) :( :| :?
JD

Post by JD »

Oscar,
Thanks for posting this. Let's talk DBF.

I do not see a squared off base leg.
I see a continuous base leg turn that starts out shallow and then winds up tighter resulting in too high an entry into final leg.
I saw plenty of room to perform a discrete, 3-part DBF.
A discrete, square base leg could have been extended to use up the surplus altitude allowing final glide at a familiar speed and avoid the PIO.

The flare and run out looked pretty good.
Please work on your dives at altitude to learn to avoid PIO.

Keep up the good work!
Jonathan
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Hey Jonathan, I Wasn't trying For DBF I was trying for a 180 deg slipping turn ,.. to keep from PIO'ing & Going over the 200' line :P :wink: .Ya think if I came in lower it might help.Hows the camera angle ,I left the butt shots out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JD

Post by JD »

OSCAR wrote:..........I was trying for a 180 deg slipping turn ,.. to keep from PIO'ing & Going over the 200' line..........Hows the camera angle ,I left the butt shots out.............
You were nowhere near the 200' line. I crossed the 200' line briefly when I do a square DBF on my 'I Can't Land to Save My Life' video and use the squared off base leg to nail the cone. What does that say about the utility of a squared off DBF.

An H3 is practicing an advanced RLF landing technique on a glider he hasn't mastered flying? What's more important? Offending the neighbors or avoiding overshooting the overshoot hill? Couldn't foot dragging along our runway at 35mph possibly break an ankle bone? Also, why not practice your slipping turns at 1-2,000' AGL next time. It's easy to exit such a turn with enough speed to PIO. Is that really something you want to be learning near the ground?

Just think. All this safety advise coming from someone who swoops the launch ramp just seconds after take-off and averages 32.3 hours per down tube.

Nice camera angle BTW. Can't say I miss looking away from your butt crackage. Your wisecracks are more than good enough to fill any crack void in my daily existence. That reminds me that I need to grout some bathroom tile.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I know I wasn't near the 200' line that was a :P on ya. :lol:.That turn in the video Didn't look like a DBF .It looked like what I did you were just banked up more and lower .which by the way is dangerous if you would have been hit by anything in the turn,of course you knew that. what's more important ? well their both important I gotta respect the club rules If I can help it ,and there's always the rear wires If I really Really needed to stop .Foot dragging could break a bone ,Ya I imagine so, but so far I haven't had that problem ,I wouldn't have dragged my feet if I didn't think it was safe to do so on the ramp.Your right about exiting the turn that's when the PIO start NOT in it .I'll practice more at altitude your right about that.OH by the way ,..say no to crack.and remember It's suppose to be fun working with your hand have fun in the bathroom :P :lol: .Se ya Buddy.Hey I got more bananas if you want more,better get them before they go bad.
JD

Post by JD »

OSCAR wrote:.........you were just banked up more and lower............I got more bananas.......better get them before they go bad.
I felt rather embarrassed putting up that video right next to one where I demonstrate safe procedure. I can only fly with such narrow margins part of the time. Most days I leave plenty of room. Not Friday. Those bananas were quite good indeed! If tomorrow is as good as forecast maybe I can swing by?
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

8)