Sundays low save

A place to stretch the truth a little...
OSCAR

Sundays low save

Post by OSCAR »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DaSltFX ... tube_gdata[/youtube]

Patience can be rewarding ,I really thought i was done for the day,until I hooked that little thermal.that kept me at 2,800 most of the way to locals .I ended up topping out at a wopping 3,100 before heading back. :D
JD

Post by JD »

Great approach and landing! :D
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

Hey Oscar,

Nice save. Looks like your enjoying your Horizon and at least this time you landed in the right LZ.. :lol:

Anyhow, as if I am one to criticize, but it looked like you did one continuous arc as your Base and Final. I did not see you square it off between the two.

Keep up the filming. I learn a lot from watching the videos of you and Jonathan.

Marc
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

addicted2climbing wrote:....Anyhow, as if I am one to criticize, but it looked like you did one continuous arc as your Base and Final. I did not see you square it off between the two....
Nothing wrong with that if it is deliberate. Watch the most experienced H4s. This is a very common (but not universal) technique. It has the advantage that you change your roll angle significantly only twice instead of 4 times during the last part of your approach pattern.* A good thing in bumpy air. It also has the advantage that you can spend longer in the turn, and thus lose more altitude. It has the disadvantage that it is "less clearcut" and may be confusing for some lower experienced pilots. It also has the disadvantage that it can use up altitude. (And if you don't know what you are doing, you can pick up an awful lot of speed...)

* Continuous curve: 1)Turn into the curve from downwind. 2) Level out of the curve on final.

DW/Base/Final: 1) Turn from DW towards base. 2) Straighten out to base. 3) Turn from base towards final. 4) Level out to final.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

[quote="addicted2climbing"]Hey Oscar,

Nice save. Looks like your enjoying your Horizon and at least this time you landed in the right LZ.. :lol:

Anyhow, as if I am one to criticize, but it looked like you did one continuous arc as your Base and Final. I did not see you square it off between the two.

Keep up the filming. I learn a lot from watching the videos of you and Jonathan.

Marc[/quote
thanks Marc I love the glider.
I just posted how NOT to do it.I can whack in just as good as the next guy.I landed there because I just couldn't bring myself to land on the grass. :wink: and it's closer to the Beer.