5/1/2010 Flight Images

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

5/1/2010 Flight Images

Post by JD »

stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Jonathan,

Would you be willing to link to this video on the OZ report? Especially the 2nd landing? And would the pilot in command of that landing (Greg Kendal?) be willing to have it so posted?

I've been asked again and again for a video of the Moonwalk Landing by denizens of the OZ Report. Greg does it well. This video isn't from the best angle or close up, and he over-does it a bit (on purpose, I'm sure), but it is by far the best example I've seen on video. I've seen him do even better examples, but no video of them, of course!

Please let me know, and Greg (or whoever the pilot is) please let me know also.

Thanks,

George I-will-be-flying-again-soon-I-will-I-will Stebbins
abinder

Post by abinder »

stebbins wrote:Jonathan,

Would you be willing to link to this video on the OZ report? Especially the 2nd landing? And would the pilot in command of that landing (Greg Kendal?) be willing to have it so posted?

I've been asked again and again for a video of the Moonwalk Landing by denizens of the OZ Report. Greg does it well. This video isn't from the best angle or close up, and he over-does it a bit (on purpose, I'm sure), but it is by far the best example I've seen on video. I've seen him do even better examples, but no video of them, of course!

Thanks,

Joe Greblo, Andy Beam, and Phil are really good at doing moonwalk landings when they're asked to demo how to do it at a moments notice.

I remember one time a guy was telling Joe that his legs were too short to be able to run fast enough to 'run-out' his landings. Joe then noticed Phil Bloom 'in the pattern' and asked him to perform a 'one legged' moon walk style landing. Needless to say, after the guy saw Phil do it, he had to admit to Joe that since Phil just landed 'one-legged' then he should at least be able to do do moon walk style landings.

Allen
JD

Post by JD »

stebbins wrote:.............Would you be willing to link to this video on the OZ report? Especially the 2nd landing?..............
George,

I did a re-edit for your purpose and hosted it in a place for SHGA videos.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cC8vAIRDhM[/youtube]

Enjoy! Jonathan
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

abinder wrote:
stebbins wrote:Jonathan,

Thanks,

Joe Greblo, Andy Beam, and Phil are really good at doing moonwalk landings when they're asked to demo how to do it at a moments notice.

I remember one time a guy was telling Joe that his legs were too short to be able to run fast enough to 'run-out' his landings. Joe then noticed Phil Bloom 'in the pattern' and asked him to perform a 'one legged' moon walk style landing. Needless to say, after the guy saw Phil do it, he had to admit to Joe that since Phil just landed 'one-legged' then he should at least be able to do do moon walk style landings.

Allen
I've seen it too. I grin every time I see Phill do it one-legged, and then someone says it's too hard to run the landing. My problem is I have no good video. People don't fully beleive it unless they see it, for some reason. Even folks who should know better. I promised some of them that I'd get a video when I could and get it posted to the OZ Report.

So far, the one Jonathan has posted is the best I've got. If anyone has a better one, please let me know.

Thanks!

George
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

And before I forget: Thanks, Jonathan (and Greg!)

This is a nice example of the extreme "don't stop moving" version of the moonwalk. Now I just need the "I can do it barely moving my feet, because I have total pitch control" version, like Phill does on one leg!

(I tend to do it like Greg - I don't get enough practice to do the other comfortably. Sigh.)
JD

Post by JD »

stebbins wrote:............(I tend to do it like Greg - I don't get enough practice to do the other comfortably. Sigh.)
Hmmmmm. I like a challenge. How about I set up dual cameras and make a nice video of a long, easy moonwalk on my tiptoes? I'll even wear my ballet shoes and to extend the experience, I will land downhill, downwind, starting at the H4 cone and ending just beneath the powerlines in the sand 300 yds North where the wind is calm. I need the practice and besides that, it's great fodder for annoying the full-flare camp.

Can you say Charlie Chaplin?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQJLzUnP7c[/youtube]
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Hey, a good video of the technique would go a long way towards spreading it. Especially if it is the version where it is clear that you are barely putting in effort. (Too many people confuse it with "running out your landings - hard!) And double especially if you start moving your feet and touching the ground while still moving fairly quickly. The other complaint is - I can't run that fast! Bah! Humbug!

Thanks again. I posted the vid to the OZ report. No replies, yet, but some "hits".
JD

Post by JD »

stebbins wrote:..............Especially if it is the version where it is clear that you are barely putting in effort............
Hi George,

Greblo once made the analogy of landing a sailplane on the retractable wheel on uneven ground. Come in with extra speed and let the sailplane take a few easy bounces off the wheel and ease it down until it's rolling out.

With that in mind, I could easily set up a round-out and skim so that I have 35-40 mph airspeed and just lightly touch a toe at a time and the frequency will increase as the glider slows.

Somewhere in my memory there's a video of Chaplin, Keaton, or Lloyd hanging off the the side of a moving vehicle and he is doing the moonwalk. I think you get the picture.

I do like the idea of the one-legged moonwalk landing too. Since the Big O Loop at AJX will be operational pretty soon it will present a good opportunity to do a lot of landings in a single day.

With that in mind, I also need to make a new camera wing mount for my topless glider so I can get it from multiple angles.

As far as the Oz Report Forum goes, it's become a stagnant venue for sharing ideas other than with the same 3 or 4 people over and over. hanggliding.org has become far more self-regulated than ever before and etiquette has improved tremendously over the past 6 months or so. As a result, participation is way up and more pilots from Europe, etc. are using it. When I get some decent moonwalk video made I will post it there.
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

Hey Jonathan,

You mentioned the Big O Loop and I am curious what that is. Is it the training hill at AJX? Since i have not been able to fly in what feels like forever, I want to spend some time at a traiing hill before I go bakc to Kagel, but would like one with a bit more flight time then at Dockweiler. Oh and less sand.. LOL I was considering Ellings park in SB, but maybe AJX has one more suitable.. I am also open to other locations if you now of one. Your thoughts?

Marc
JD

Post by JD »

addicted2climbing wrote:............You mentioned the Big O Loop and I am curious what that is...............
http://www.bigoloop.com/

I fly over the Big O Loop in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xffbk-kqmcc
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for the link. That is exactly what I need to get some launching and Landing skills to clear out the cobwebs of not flying 4 months before I return to Kagel. I wanted something a bit more than Dockweiler to use as a refresher and this looks like an amazing place..

Take care,

Marc