RLF Spot Landing on the Island.

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Lucky 13

RLF Spot Landing on the Island.

Post by Lucky 13 »

I know that most people who attempt this break at least two or three arms, but with my expert experience, there's little chance of even the smallest whack.
Long story short, I sank out like a rock, in my falcon 0, started to panic, and headed straight for the LZ. I was low enough to the ground to see individual ants crawling, so I was starting to get a little worried. A high performance glider was in front of me and turned in to the lz. He went to set up an approach.
He was having trouble getting down, I was having trouble staying up. I tried to stay to the right, and let him do his approach since he was already in the staging area. Only one problem.... If I don't turn soon I can't.
He turned to downwind, and base.... I attemted to slowly follow him around and land behind him. The problem with that was, when I turned, I was already so low, that (also factor in, he is in a high performance glider, and I'm in a no performance glider), when I came through my turn to base, we were side by side, which would have been ok, but since the river washed out most of the runway, I had to take a detour and show off how much better I am than the hotshot "pilots", and do a flawless spot landing dead center on the island.
Everyone was cheering and yelling and clapping, except for Joe. Yes, you are right Joe, I should not have allowed myself to get so low. Next time I'll leave for the lz at 3200 feet at least. Maybe Chirpy saw it, and will start landing on the island. I set a bad example. -Chris Wolters AKA Lucky 13
Lucky 13

breaking 3 arms?

Post by Lucky 13 »

Some of you are probably wondering tonight, "how could you land at the island and break 3 arms?" To tell you the truth, I have absolutely no idea, except to say that if you hit the ground hard enough, maybe you could send some sort of shock wave into the crowd. Otherwise, it would have to be done on a tandem glider, and in that case, 4 arms could be broken. :D
Christian

Post by Christian »

Good report, coming home low can happen to anybody and thanks for reminding us. Were there other options rather than landing on the island? Like to hear Safety Director Greblo's take on alternative handling of this particular conflict.
Lucky 13

Post by Lucky 13 »

One thing that maybe I could have done, was take advantage of my gliders best feature, sinking. Although we were about at the same height, and the high performance glider was already in an approach, I could have aggresively dove or done one sharp 360 to land at the begginer area, deppending on conditions. The high performance glider had more time, and could have flown over me and landed on the grass.
Looking back on it, that was exciting, I never thought I'd get to do that. I'm glad there wasn't water in the river.
The island was also pretty boring, there were no topless native girls wearing flower necklaces or anything. No palm trees, no shade. There was also no food or vegitation there, and no water. Although it was peacefull there, I had to move on, and voyage back to the LZ.