How low can you go?

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Chip
Site Admin

How low can you go?

Post by Chip »

Returned VERY low from West Towers yesterday (July 23rd, 2010). I'm not advocating anyone try this. I got away with it today (landed at the Dam LZ because I ran out of options and altitude) and the dice came out on my side today. :o

Thanks for all the accolades in the LZ guys, but not sure I deserve all of that. :roll:

I put most of the comments about the flight and the decision making in the google earth file. The track log appears to be about 200' or so high judging how the landing altitude is. In some places the track looks correct (like at launch).

Track Log right click and "Save Target As". You'll need Google Earth to view it.

Rather than break the glider down and then walk it out. I decided to walk the glider to the gate after finding out the gate was locked and nobody has the key. Guess my penance for going low and not making it home. Anyway here's a few of the memorable photos.

JD

Post by JD »

Glad it ended well Chip!
Malury

Post by Malury »

WOW! That was very low. I had a low return once but not that low. I walked my glider out about 2/3 of the way before I went to the "rickshaw" method. It's a long, hot walk.
chadness

Post by chadness »

the comments in GE really help to understand the decision making process as the events unfold. Yikes. Glad it ended well.