Sunday's One-Footed Landing - Video

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

Sunday's One-Footed Landing - Video

Post by JD »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JgbHEye4Zk[/youtube]
Enjoy! Jonathan
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Not a bad semi-moonwalk. One legged. (Moon hop?) I suspect that if you hadn't raised the nose, you could have hopped a few more times before stopping and still protected the leg. But given your temporary debility, that probably wouldn't have been wise. Nice job.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
JD

Post by JD »

stebbins wrote:Not a bad semi-moonwalk. One legged. (Moon hop?) I suspect that if you hadn't raised the nose, you could have hopped a few more times before stopping and still protected the leg. But given your temporary debility, that probably wouldn't have been wise. Nice job.
Thanks George. I want to add that all of these online conversations that we have been having regarding hand positions and moon walks have been of no small value. Combining those with my face-to-face discussions with Greblo, these dialogues made all the difference between approaching this with confidence and not even considering the endeavor. So, it has been a worthwhile pursuit to keep the ball rolling. It's no secret that during my first year back I really didn't take landing that seriously but gradually came around. It has taken me a while to think of, and feel the hang glider as an extension of my limbs and to be able to rely on it when approaching the Earth to make a smooth enough transition back to standing on two (or one) legs.

I still have a long way to go to keep building up my margin of safety and certainty in making controlled landings in turbulence, tight spaces, or in thin, still air. Maybe I should email this to Davis? He was an active part of the conversation.