16 MIles Behind Elsinore - A Video

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

16 MIles Behind Elsinore - A Video

Post by JD »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gJHjVulsi4[/youtube]
Flight #3 on my Wills Wing Covert harness was from Elsinore on Wednesday and I went long, but did not make it to the beach. Still, it was my first flight over the back and I had E-Team Jack driving chase for me, otherwise I would have stayed local. Many thanks to Jack for driving, taking still photos and helping me enjoy the great weather.

On this 2:14 hr flight I make 2 low saves and the second takes me from ~2400 to 7600' MSL. It was a 22-mile glide to the beach and I knew there were a bunch of possible bailout fields after about 10 miles or so, so I went on glide for a cloud, hoping to find a feeder thermal. Never did find it but did get one 650' climb along the way but sink and the approaching sea breeze finally did in my trip to the beach. I bypass a huge field when I spot a large set of soccer fields and get to extend my glide a few more miles as a result.

I keep the editing short and sweet rather than educational. I hope you all enjoy the ride! - Jonathan

Tracks: http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/system/ ... ore+JD.kmz
chadness

Post by chadness »

ah, now that's just really cool. as i was watching I was wondering why we weren't seen any footage from the left wing camera until the end. i guess it was on picture frame mode.

Trying to guess why you just don't put both cameras on movie mode and pull frames out. perhaps because the still images have better resolution. perhaps because it's easier to pull all the stills from the GoPro into PowerDirector. perhaps because this way, even if you fly longer than a few hours the goPro may last that long on picture mode. dunno.

did the still camera move a bit during the flight or did you did that with post processing?

anyway, great flight and great editing
JD

Post by JD »

chadness wrote:.....Trying to guess why you just don't put both cameras on movie mode and pull frames out......
Hi Chad,
I was testing a magnetically attached camera mount which failed a few minutes into the flight and wound up hanging by the backup connector. Midway through the flight the mount slipped even further which caused the radical change of perspective. I had it set in interval still mode because I am preparing an article for the USHPA magazine and need the higher res for print. The GoPro HD camera will shoot stills at 10-second intervals for 3-1/2 hours on a charge.
Cheers, JD