Road trip to Jean NV.

A place to stretch the truth a little...
adamwn2000

Road trip to Jean NV.

Post by adamwn2000 »

This is a last minute trip to avoid the not so epic weather that where having in SoCal. Richard,Kat and I decided to go try out Jean ridge. It was so last minute we didn't even bring a change of clothes or even a toothbrush. Two days and two plus hours of flying in near perfect ridge lift conditions.
Enjoy
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3bm_7narQU[/youtube]
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Benjamin Franklin
Don

Re: Road trip to Jean NV.

Post by Don »

adamwn2000 wrote: It was so last minute we didn't even bring a change of clothes or even a toothbrush.
So what you are really saying is that you didn't bother to ask any one to join you guys! I don't blame you - here is a partial list of the excuses you would likely hear:

You're leaving too early!
It is too far to drive!
When will I get home?
Who is driving - do we have a driver?
I need to get permission from (fill in the blank)!
I need more time to prepare!
I HAVE to spend Quality Time with (fill in the blank)!
I have to work!
I only fly places I already know (Kagel)!
I'll only go if I can fly XC!
What if it isn't soarable?
How much is it going to cost?
I don't like ridge soaring!
I'll only go if ALL my friends are going?
Is (fill in the blank) going?
Can someone pick up my glider?
I have Honey Do's this weekend!
Will it be cold/hot?
Can I bring (Dog, cat, wife, girlfriend, etc.)
Can someone else drive?

And of course the ...

I have a broken arm!

NOW - how many lame excuses did I miss?

Seriously, glad to here it was fun.
max

Post by max »

Seeing the nice Video makes me cry since I was not invited :cry: :arrow: :cry: :arrow: :cry: I'm still crying :(
Smile now Cry later
MAX
max

Post by max »

Don of course if you abuse the driver verbally like I did to Kat they won't ask you to come along so I publicly apologizing to Kat for my past misbehavior like I said my deepest apology to you Kat and I've promised I will pick on somebody else in the future but please please can I come along in the next trip I even pay extra and I promise I won't hold grudge against you guys not taking me to Jean Ridge :D
Smile now Cry later
MAX
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

My excuse was "I really want to fly my new Sport 2 in a familiar place, and calm conditions are OK with me." It worked out just fine from my perspective.

Nice video. Were you the only ones out there that day?
Tom
Don

More Excuses

Post by Don »

Just to add to the list:

I changed my mine!
I just won't show up - they will figure it out!
I don't have clean socks to wear!
RichardShaw

Post by RichardShaw »

We didn't start out going to Jean. Because Vegas had a TFR that was Obama's next stop on his tour. It was Adams idea to go to a place he read about that's called New Jack city in Apple Valley (the name should have been enough of a clue) It turned out to be an abandon gas pipeline road cut over the mountain, with launch a quarter mile up a steep mountain side at the top of the old road cut. apparently this works for paragliding but with the wind it wasn't safe for our use. Then Kat had the idea to go to Jean and fly Sunday. (didn't take a lot of arm twisting to get us heading that direction) On the way to Jean, Adam radioed and said the TFR had been lifted. this was about 2:30. arrived at launch a little after 4:00 and flew for a little over an hour. the next morning we went to look at Goodsprings Launch, in the valley below launch Kat spotted a herd of horses, where we took pictures and petted a couple of them. drove over to Jean launch around 10 am where the winds were already at 20 mph expected to increase to over 40. we flew there for a little over an hour and fought traffic all the way home. It would be fun to go out with a large group on a planed weekend.

My avatar is from a previous trip to Jean two years ago. so after surviving this trip I look forward a new one.

And a special thanks to Kat for doing this trip with just the clothes on her back (what a trooper).
"Keep thy airspeed up, lest the ground come from below and smite thee".
William Kershner

Richard
JD

Post by JD »

RichardShaw wrote:............My avatar is from a previous trip to Jean two years ago............
Yet you still pet the horses after how they treated your wing on your previous trip? :lol:
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I heard Richard is really REALLY! good at petting horses. :lol: :P :wink: