First XC Flight

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Don

First XC Flight

Post by Don »

"Amazing Flights" is a term with a relative meaning. What is amazing to me and you may NOT be amazing to someone else. With that let me tell you about my FIRST true XC Flight on Sunday 7/16.

I begged, pleaded, begged and then pleaded some more and was invited to join Joe Greblo on Sunday 7/16 to fly in the desert. Joining in the trip was Kris, Lyndon, Jim Shaw, myself with Erwin driving. The decision was to try Blackhawk. After a brief look at the bailout L/Z we headed up to launch. On the way up a discussion ensued about the use of O2. Considering the Pros and Cons - I fail to understand why people don't use it.

The winds at launch were light and we all launched in quick succession. Lift was light at the lower altitudes but once you got up the thermos were strong and smooth. Jim wanted to go LONG, but Joe was committed to sticking with the Virgin (Me :D ) until at least I landed. Immediately after launching I found myself 500' below launch working weak lift with a wary eye on the dreadful bailout L/Z. Finally things starting to work and I joined Jim, Joe, and Lyndon (Kris was "doing her own thing"). Topping out at over 12K we headed North. The winds were light, the sink strong in spots and therefore our forward progress was not great. We found several strong thermos to keep our quest moving slowly forward. However, since the winds were not cooperative and with the cloud formation (and some rain) limiting our options and distance we started to look for the ideal landing spot. Joe landed first in a great field a few miles North and West of the dry lake bed. I landed a minute later right next to him and Jim followed a few minutes after that. Lyndon ended up only 2 miles from us.

Distance from Launch was a mere 17.63 miles (per my 5030) and max altitude was 13,130' or 7,028' above launch. I spent approx 1:07 above the 10K level - the altitude my O2 kicked in. Total flight time was 2:30. Temperature on the ground was a toasty 110+ degrees.

Now if I could only get those landing down a little better the day would have been perfect.

XC was the reason I took up Hang Gliding. I was a little wary at times but the strong support of the other pilots helped to keep me going.

Thanks to Joe for the support and Jim for forgoing his objective (going LONG) to stick with me.
abinder

Post by abinder »

Don,

it sounds like you had a great adventure!!!

I definitely yearn for a XC flight. But, being a Hang 2 off supervision, I'll have to wait for Joe to give me the okay. Until then, I'll have to 'pretend' I'm doing XC at Kagel.

Happy gliding to all!!!

allen
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Practicing XC at Kagel is a great idea! Next time it's offered, take the XC clinic from Dave Cutter. In it he covers many of the basics a pilot would use on any XC flight. I also suggest taking the RLF clinic from HJoe. When you are signed off you might consider landing at Big T wash. All these smaller steps will support your first XC efforts.

Lynn

PS ~ Congrats Don! Don't ya just LOVE the bail-out LZ at Blackhawk :o