The View This Monday

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

The View This Monday

Post by JD »

Cutter had forecast 12K and my own checks indicated similar little or no wind until after 4 PM. I fractured my right ankle 11 days earlier in Yucaipa having pushed myself past my limits. I had the bright idea of teaming up w/ Fred to fly tandem to Big-T or Lukens and back. I failed to call Fred while driving up from Long Beach and we missed each other at the LZ. My bad!

I then had the not-quite-as-bright idea of renting a Falcon (w/ wheels) from Windsports. I promised Linden, I would not launch unless there was enough lift on the ramp to pull me up in two steps. So, me, Rob, Loren, Daryl, and Linden & Kaitlin drove up at 1225hrs w/ Rome. I played wind dummy in more ways than one.

After a few minutes of struggling, I got my feet in my cocoon apron and focused on climbing. Me and Rob went up to 9K together then split cores while Loren came up just below us. Rob cut out from 11,700 and I gave chase from 11,450 and Loren in pursuit from 10,800.

It was t-shirt weather to 9K. I chose a very cautious line out front and glided 9 miles before I found anything. This was past the reservoir at the foot of Lukens at 6500. I eventually tagged East Lukens then climbed back to 10300' at which point my teeth were chattering and arms shaking. Loren made it within 3 miles of Mt Wilson and Rob tagged Wilson and reported bad turbulence at Mt Harvard.

On my way back I stopped at Trash at 4400 and climbed to 8800 in 4 minutes. I had to bail out from the climb while ascending at a steady 1200fpm due to fatigue and chills. This was not the Sylmar I am accustomed to but I wasn't going to miss this day for some ankle fracture.

I never found out about Daryl's flight but Linden & Kaitin got the pinch and never got up. There was 1300fpm sink in some areas but I lucked out and dodged the bullet. I did a wheel landing after 2 hours and Loren came in 30 minutes later.

I could have sworn my podiatrist said I should keep my fractured ankle elevated?

One of the best views of the flight!. Downtown LA is very clear in this frame still.

11,450' above Kagel. What a strange view!
JD

Post by JD »

So, while Jim was working....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLkoY8jvMy8[/youtube]
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Really kicking myself for somehow getting the crazy idea that I should get work done on monday........ :lol:

awesome video!
JD

Post by JD »

MikeL wrote:Really kicking myself for somehow getting the crazy idea that I should get work done on monday........ :lol:

awesome video!
In the 4-1/2 years I've been flying locally, I'd estimate we get an average of 1 in 500 days that are this good. We've had a few this year and several years where there was nothing close.

I still have a fairly complete narrated video of my 86-mile flight from Towers to Lytle Creek back to the Santa Fe Dam a few weeks ago that I need to edit. Lots of action and screaming in panic on that flight. It will be a challenging edit to complete and to censor. :oops: :oops: Here are some frame stills: http://imageevent.com/aero92/soaring

Keep in mind that I live like a Himalayan monk and have written off most material possessions and normal life experiences in order to attain this "other-worldly en-flightenment". Oh, that was truly bad. :roll: :roll: