Wednesday report

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Vrezh

Wednesday report

Post by Vrezh »

Some high stratus in the morning almost discouraged me from going, but thanks to Jonathan, we decided to go and humbly take even a sledder if that's what it comes down to, because the next few days look unflyable again...
Darryl was in the LZ, so he joyned us too.
On the top it still felt kinda stagnant, limp windsock, no air movement, and skyes mostly covered with high, flat cirrus clouds.
It got better, though, when we were ready to launch. Light cycles started to work their way up, and the windsock woke up finally, kinda confused and undecided (no coffee yet?):-) Well, light and variable.
All of a sudden we spotted a flock of birds catching a thermal from the first bowl and quickly getting to 4000-4500.
Darryl went first and ... missed it(?). I donno, man. Whatever.
Then I went, followed by Jonathan.
And there it was, a pleasant surprise, a magnificent winter day, an absolute joy. Mellow, nice thermals to 5K+, winds light and every other direction, generally N above mountaintops, pretty warm for winter flying, clear air, good visibility...
What a beautiful day!
And it wouldn't be complete without a great company of friends, who showed up later in the LZ. Good times!